Classroom Library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mjennings, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 28, 2005

I am trying to organize my library...but there are so many books and i am not sure as to how to organize it. I was able to find the reading level. Do you all read all of your books before putting them in yuor library. And do u make a list of your books so u know what you have?

3. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I was going to post a similar question. I am wondering if most teachers level their student library within their classroom? Right now I have a couple shelves of chapter books and a couple of picture books but I would like it to be more organized so the students will actually pick a book at their level. I dont have a problem leveling them but I am wondering how other teachers do it. Do you use stickers that are color coded or what are some ideas?

I do not read all of my books, that would be impossible for me. But I do try to tell my class about certain books each week to keep them motivated to want to read those books in our classroom library.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2005

Most of my books are between a reading level of 2.5 and 6.5-7.0 (somewhere in there). I organize my books by genre, however, because I want the students to get familiar with the genres and read from a variety of them.

5. divey

divey Companion

Jul 29, 2005

?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what IS the best/easiest way to find the book level of your books?

6. barnswallow

barnswallow Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

Often books will have the level on the back....near the bottom. The code is usually something like level 2.5. I know that there are sites that have books by level (google?) as well.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

8. kidsIam

kidsIam Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

9. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 29, 2005

i was also told that you can go to www.renlearn.com and click on order quizzez to find the AR reading level in case any one is doing AR books.

10. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

So how do you all organize your books in your classroom? Does anyone organize them by level and do you color code them? I'm looking for ideas of leveling because I have a combo class in the Fall and I dont want my 2nd graders trying to read the 3rd grade books and so on. Any help?

11. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

It depends also on how your school/grade levels books. I teach 3rd grade and we follow guided reading levels which are not always the same levels as on the back of the book. My library is sorted by chapter books, series books, picture books, easy reader, etc. My guided reading leveled books are on a seperate book case. It is very hard to level all the books in your classroom. I have over 2,000 books in my library.

12. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I teach 4th Grade Reading. I have have 3 classes. My library is organized by Genre and authors mainly. I used a genre poster I found at the teacher store as a starting point because the genres are assigned colors. So my colored baskets and signs match the colors on the genre chart.
    Fiction-Red
    Nonfiction-Yellow
    Poetry-Purple
    Folktales-Blue
    Etc.
    I also have author baskets, a magazine rack and another rack with misc. chapter books that they check out for reading time.
    I have not read all the books in my library and they are not leveled. I just try to purchase books that are 3rd - 5th grade level. I do highlight certain books or series through a short read-aloud or book talk so the kids will know what is in our library.