Classroom Library Organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lnyeager, Jun 22, 2005.

1. lnyeager

lnyeager New Member

Jun 22, 2005

I am looking for a new way to organize my classroom library next year. I have been teaching 2nd grade for the past 3 years and used a color coded system based on how easy/difficult the books were. I will now be teaching 1st grade and am not sure if this system will work. I took off all the color coded stickers and am ready to start from scratch. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

3. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jun 23, 2005

I organized my library much like the way the Guided Reading books suggest. I bought a bunch of small tubs from the dollar store and typed up labels for them. I sorted books by these different topics:

Authors
    Beverly Cleary books
    Kevin Henks books
    Patricia Polacco books, etc.

Series
    Magic Tree House books
    Junie B. Jones books
    A to Z Mystery books, etc.

Topics:
    Books about our country
    Nonfiction books about animals
    Books about sports
    Books about third grade

Genres:
    Biography
    Poetry
    Nonfiction
    Fiction
    Myths, Fables & Fairy Tales
    Magazines

Miscellaneous:
    Books Mrs. ______ has read aloud
    Books about _______ (current theme or study)
    Picture books
    Chapter books
    Comic Strips
    Newspapers

It took me a while to finally get it organized this way, but now that I have it done it looks great. Now my classroom library is my students' favorite place to be! Your tubs can change as you need them to according to what you are learning in class. Of course, many of them will stay the same. It's worth the time it takes to put it all together!

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 23, 2005

We were told by third grade you should have a few leveled bins but mostly unleveled bins. At this age children should be able to figure out if the book is to easy to hard or just right.

5. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 23, 2005

Not only do I like this method (snipped a bit out to make the quote smaller!), it's the one my co-operating teacher used in her grade three classroom. As a parent, I'd rather my children were choosing from a variety of book types and learning about genre and author/series groupings.

6. LaShonda

LaShonda New Member

Jun 23, 2005

A good person to research is "Danny Brassell" on google. He is a former second grade teacher who now teaches at Cal State and works with non-profits to create classroom libraries. I receive his monthly book recommendations from his website www.lazyreaders.com. I saw him speak at the IRA conference in San Antonio, and he was the best speaker by far. He also has a good book on vocabulary. Hope that helps. :love: