Classroom library mess...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by snickydog, Aug 16, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 16, 2007

So I saw my classroom today, and lets just say the library was a disaster zone. The school has a lot of resources (yay!) and a lot of books that belong to the classroom. Many of these are books that are part of the reading series that the school currently uses (Houghton Mifflin.. the little readers that supplement the basal textbook) or a past series. Some other books are guided reading books, while others are general, one copy only books. I don't even know where to begin with sorting these! The HM books seem to have dot stickers to code them from a previous teacher (or the librarian?), as do SOME of the other books (in who knows what kind of order- they weren't labeled with Guided Reading levels or anything).

Where on earth do you begin to organize these books????

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

I would put all of the reading series books together and then put sets of guided reading books together. Check with another teacher to see if they know about the dot stickers. Then organize the others in whatever way would be most useful to you. I do categories like, school, non-fiction, fall, abc/rhyme, etc. It sounds like a big project. It doesn't have to be done right away if there isn't time. Some teachers even have students help them decide which basket books belong in. Good Luck!

4. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

I ended up putting my books in bins based on author's last name last year with only a few sorted based on topic or series. This was a quick and easy way to do it to start with and then I taught the kids how to choose just right books out of the author and other bins. I think I'll probably do it differently this year, but as long as they look neat, organized, and are displayed so they look appealing to the students and the kids understand how they are organized and how to choose them, I think you are okay.

5. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

The past couple years, I tried separating the books by theme/category. This year, I'm doing it alphabetically by 1st letter of the title. I actually had my students do this for me at the end of the year. I put out a whole bunch of books on their tables & put bins & baskets labeled with each letter of the alphabet. They could read any book they wanted to and then put it in the correct bin... first I taught them to skip the words "a" and "the" when alphabetizing.