Classroom Library help...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chebrutta, Jul 30, 2011.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

I need some serious brainstorming!

We have a brand-new school this year :) However, we are NOT allowed to bring in any personal furniture. No bookshelves; no tables; not even a chair. They are providing us with one bookshelf.

I have over 500 books in my personal classroom library (and now 3 extra bookcases in my garage). The bookshelf they are providing us with will most likely need to hold class sets of lit books, binders, etc.

One wall will have low cabinets creating a shelf - I had planned on putting my journal bins there, but they can live on the floor if they have to.

I *think* I'll have room to store the books in the cabinets, but I'd really like to have the OUT for the kids to see (I don't want "out of sight, out of mind").

Suggestions?

*ETA: I wish I had pics to show, but we aren't allowed in yet.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2011

Ummmm, crates like they sell at Wal-mart??? Not technically furniture... I can't believe they won't let you bring in ANYTHING! Aarrgghh! Administrators!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2011

Can you use a wall or bulletin board to make a display?

Did you used to have your books in bins? If so, use these bins to store books in one area of the classroom. You might want to use the open space for your library and put the binders, class sets of lit circle books, etc in the cabinets. When you need them, you can open a cabinet.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

Yes I used to put my classroom library in bins that made a divider in the room.

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

I know exactly what you are talking about... I have the same dilemma and still haven't found a solution that I really like. :crosseyed :dizzy:

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

How about using cardboard boxes, specifically the ones copy paper comes in. They are strong and you could cover the outside with contact paper or even construction. If you find other boxes and they aren't strong to hold books double them. Hopefully your school wouldn't object since the boxes are in the school.

8. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

Can you put the journals in the cabinets and the books on the shelf?