Classroom Library Cataloging

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cheeryteacher, Jun 30, 2013.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2013

I have a small classroom library with a little over 300 books. I have all of the books cataloged on an excel document with the title, author, SRC points, and lexile levels. In addition I assign each book a number, stamp my name throughout the book, stick a library pocket in the back and put an index card with the assigned number so students can check out the book. I recently acquired about 350 more books. It would take me many, many hours to stamp and catalog these books. I'm not sure I want to dedicate the time.

I'm looking for an easier way! How do you keep track of your books? Do you have any check out procedures so you know what students have what books?

3. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jun 30, 2013

Do you have an ipad or iphone? Other smart phones may work, too. There's an app called My Library (I think--just search library apps) that lets you scan in each book. Students would love to help do this, and I think it's fairly simple to mark books as "checked out" or returned.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

You are amazingly organized!:thumb:

My books are in leveled baskets. Kids generally don't take the books home, but I will allow kids to if they ask...I'm a bit lax on the 'checkout'...I mostly just have a class list on a clipboard and kids list the book they took. I'm sure I lose a few books a year. I have thousands of books, so a few books lost doesn't get noticed so much.

Check out library thing:

http://www.librarything.com/

5. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jun 30, 2013

OR if you don't have a device to do this with, make it into an assignment, ha ha, and have the students help you. Group students, give each group a sheet and a pile of a certain number of books, and give them clear instructions about how to list all the information. Then, grade it. It's a good learning experience for them, and depending on how you set it up, it could give them practice with identifying the proper parts of books for Works Cited entries.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

I tried a bunch and ultimately abandoned the idea. Honestly, the amount of time and energy it takes to set up and maintain a system is not worth to 1-2 books that may be lost or misplaced each year. If you have a problem with missing/damaged books you may want to consider it, but for most classrooms it isn't a real issue.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

I agree! I did have a problem with books disappearing one year, so I just made a checkout sheet if a student wanted to take a book home. It was really simple. They just wrote down their name and book title then showed the book to me and I checked it off when it was returned.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2013

I use the library cards and pockets. I have a pocket folder (actually a couple.) I assign each kid a pocket and keep their signed out books in the pocket. It takes a bit of time to put in the pockets and write out the cards- but it's also something a student can do for me. I used to try to level them before I put them out, but then I'd fall behind and brand new books would be sitting around unread waiting to be leveled. Now I just level them a little at a time. Most I have some idea of what level they are without writing it in the book anyway.

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

Do you know if you need WiFi to use the app? I would love to do this, but my school doesn't have WiFi :mad:

10. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jun 30, 2013

That's a great question. My school doesn't have wifi either, and I really just used the app for logging books when I got them (and I did all my logging at home on my ipad). Sorry. I didn't think of that.

For me, it's just for the master list (without having to write or type a ton of info). I rarely let students take books home (and when they do, they just use a simple sign out sheet).

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 30, 2013

To those who say their school doesn't have wifi, you can create a wifi network for yourself.

Just bye a router and plug it into the Ethernet port in the wall. Every school must be wired for internet by now right?

Split the cost with other teachers even. A great router made by Belkin will run you $70 on Amazon.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

That's a great idea! However, I don't think that will work for me. Our tech guy is....controlling. We aren't allowed to use ANY websites or services that store district information on outside servers. So that means no Google Docs, no Moodle, no Glogster, etc. If he saw my router....I'm sure I would be in a heap of trouble.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

My tech guy would have a fit! But it is a good suggestion if your tech guys don't mind.

I can't get into my school's wireless network with my phone, so I just use my 3G network with Verizon when I'm using my BooksApp2 application on my iphone. I too log in my books so I know what I have, but I don't have a checkout system. I just don't have the time.

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2013

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I do have an ipad and iPhone and I started experimenting with library catalog apps. They are okay. I like the fact that i can scan barcodes, but I find that their database isn't large enough so I end up inputting the book info anyway. I may just let the library catalog go. I don't let students take books home and the teacher I bought the books from has lexile levels on them already, so I wouldn't have to go searching. I have the students turn in the card in the back of the book they borrow so I can track them down. I think I will try being more diligent with that and see how it works. If it doesn't work I can always go back to my old way!