Classroom Library Books...How Do You Label Them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JTeach619, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jun 29, 2010

I organize my library books by genre and series in different color baskets. I also place a special label marked AR (along with book level and point value) on books that have AR quizzes available. I am taking the summer to revamp how I label my books. In my old school, different reading levels were given different color dots, but they were unique to the school. I am now switching over to a new county (and grade level) and would like a more universal way of labeling my books. How do you label your library books?

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 30, 2010

One great suggestion that I found on here is to put a label on your book that will help the kids know what basket to put the book back in when they are done. Search the forum...I've seen other suggestions here.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2010

I label my picture books by guided reading level and keep them in bins with the same letter. My chapter books are sorted by series or author. I teach 3rd.

5. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Jun 30, 2010

I originally started out by leveling my paperbacks by standard reading grade level. Then I switched from that to just putting them in buckets based on series, authors or genre. I started that last year and found that it got a much better response and the books got read- kids were excited about reading them because they could see the covers right away. I had an entire bookshelf of books (not in buckets) that did not get read last year. I will be sorting the rest of the books into buckets this summer. I just need to get more! (And print labels...and decide on more categories!)

I'm curious as to how others who use the buckets label books so that they get put back in the correct bucket. Any ideas for that? I teach 5th grade inclusion so we have a TON of books at a variety of levels.

6. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 30, 2010

One thing I do is "adopt a shelf" to help keep my books organized. I put a sticker on each shelf and kids adopt a shelf as a job every week. They really pitch in and kept their shelves straight and organized. Before, I had only one student responsible and I think it was overwhelming. I also organize by author and series in my library.

7. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jun 30, 2010

I love your "adopt a shelf" idea!! I think I am going to use that with my 2nd graders this year :love:

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 30, 2010

Me, too!!!!!!!! Great idea!!!

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 30, 2010

I use different colored dot stickers. On the front of each bin is a label and a sticker. For example, Eric Carle books have a label with a picture of the very hungry caterpillar that says, "Eric Carle." Also on this label is a pink triangle. Every book in that bin has a matching pink triangle sticker in the upper right-hand corner.

I have 22 bins, so I really had to shop around to find different stickers (office supply stores are a great place to look). I used the typical garage sale circle stickers in different colors, and they also have long, thin rectangle stickers in different colors. I cut the rectangles down to make squares and triangles. I also doubled-up on some colors. So, some books may have one green circle, and others may have 2.

It's a really easy system that the kids understand. At the end of the year I went through all 22 bins and found maybe 3 books that were in the incorrect place. That was the only time I went through the books all school year.