Classroom Library Book Inventory?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mariah, May 25, 2006.

1. mariah

mariah Rookie

May 25, 2006

Hello all. I just completed my first year of teaching and this summer I'm interested in inventorying all of the books I've acquired this year. A few days ago I saw a link someone had to an excel spreadsheet that was already all set up for this purpose. I thought it was on this dicussion board somewhere, but I've been unable to find it again! Does anyone have anything like this that they would be willing share?

Thanks in advance!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 25, 2006

I don't have a spreadsheet, but this is an easy one I made in Word using tables...

Let me know if there's additional columns or whatnot that you need. ;)

4. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

May 25, 2006

Well, I'd post the one I use, but I can't post attachments :-( Sorry!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2006

I use Excel for my books so that I can arrange them by points, book level, author, etc. I don't have my actual list here. It's on the computer at school (the one that is in several pieces at the moment! :D) This is an example of how I set mine up in Excel.
    You can't attach Excel pages, but I put it on my class website at
    ...never mind that! I can't post the Excel pages to the webpage. If you PM me with your email I'd be more than happy to send it to you! :rolleyes: :D Gotta love technology!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 26, 2006

frodolass, shoot me a PM or an email and you can send your attachment to me... I'll be happy to post it for you. :)

(I know not everyone has permission to post attachments)

7. mariah

mariah Rookie

May 26, 2006

Thank you so much for your ideas! Maybe I'm not so crazy for taking on this project this summer! :)

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 26, 2006

That was my summer project last year. I now have tons more books, and didn't keep up with my list. Oh well. Maybe next summer....

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 26, 2006

Miss W, that's my mom's problem... she trues really hard to add them as she gets a new order from Scholastic or whatever... she says her project *this* summer now that she has semi-accurate lists is to organize them in some semblance of something that makes sense...

If it helps, I know she keeps a copy of her master list at school, and hand-writes them in as she gets new ones if she doesn't get a chance to put them in on the computer right away. That seems to help her keep up! ;)

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 26, 2006

I made a spreadsheet for all my novels a few years ago and tried to keep it up. When I went to print the list (saved to a disk) the computer refused to read the disk saying the disk was defective or the program was unreadable. I am now starting from scratch.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 26, 2006

I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2006

That would be the benefit of having a slave...oops, I mean niece that knows how to type! :D

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

May 28, 2006

I'm trying to do the same thing this summer. What a job! I'm using a Database sheet in Microsoft Works. You can add fields, ie. author, title, subject, number of copies,etc.....and then arrange them in abc order by author, title, subject....I've sorted books by subject/theme and now I'm making my list. I type in a stack of books at a time, then go to "sort" to get them into the order I want them to appear on my list, then add some more titles. Hope this helps.

14. crnewton

crnewton New Member

May 28, 2006

I've done something similar to jlj for my own personal collection of children's lit. I've also numbered each book with a small label on the back and each book is placed in a tub with #'s 1-75 etc, so then if I'm doing a specific author search or whatever, I can sort for what I'm looking for, and then go to the specific tub and find it more easily than looking through all 400+ books. Hope this helps!

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 29, 2006

crnewton, I love that idea, and I'm going to pass it on to my mom to see if it will help hers get organized. Thanks for the tip! :)