Classroom Library baskets?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I'm torn. I've always had my books binding out on the shelves. But then, I've taught fifth and up.

Now I have third grade-do I go to the basket system? Is it worth investing in the baskets? I have over 3,000 books. That's a lot of baskets. And there is no way I could categorize all of them-the baskets would probably be for the series and famous authors. And I like consistency-I'm not sure I'd like to see baskets on half my shelves, and binding out on the other half. But then I know that baskets helps reluctant readers find high-interest books quickly. But then again, I've always used shelf labels, so they can visually see where the series and authors are that they like.

:help:

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 6, 2008

All the 3rd grade teachers at my school have their books stored with binding out, with labels on the shelf. Just like you did!

Maybe you could do chapter books with the binding out, and picture books in baskets?

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

How is your library organized, if it alphabetical order, reading level, or grouped by fiction/non fiction.

Our district doesn't require, but encourages us to group the library by Lexile Levels, so my library is step up by levels. I had my library in Sterlite Drawers, but hated it. So I got some nice deep, bins from IKEA. I'm going to have a couple bins for each Lexile level. I think I'll really like the baskets, because they can see the covers, etc. I'll probably do a few series baskets, because I have a lot of Magic Tree House, Cam Jansen, etc.

A couple teachers in my school do bookshelves, my school is 1-4, and they are always complaining how messy it and how their books get ruined. I think with younger kids, unless it's drilled from the beginning, aren't the best with putting books back in their proper place.

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

I know that the Dollar Tree Website will let you buy some of their baskets in bulk, they come in a variety of colors. I got my bins at IKEA, and they come in red and blue.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

Mine are from IKEA too. I use them for picture books (leveled, mostly fiction books are blue and and nonfiction topics are red) and I'm getting some other bins for chapter books and favorite authors.

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

I love the baskets. I, too, have a ton of books, not all are in baskets, but most are. I have baskets for the random books that don't fin in a series, author, or level. These might be chapter books with animal characters, chapter books with human characters...so they have a place.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

I do baskets. I found the white ones with holes in them at Walmart, and then made labels for them and tied them on with beachy ribbons. :)
    I went to Beth Newinghams' site and used her ideas on the various labels.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

I bought my book baskets at Target for either $1-$2. They're dish bins, which are over in the area where dish racks and drawer organizers are. I love the bins because they actually hold quite a lot of books. If you go to my blog and watch the slideshow of my classroom, the 9th picture will show you what they look like.

10. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Last year was the 1st year I taught 4th grade and also the 1st year to put my books in a basket. Only my picture books, though. The chapter books look just fine with the spine/title out.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I have no problem getting the baskets, and I would get all white with the holes (OCD teacher here), so that's not really the problem.

I have my picture books in clear magazine holders by subjects (winter, space, jungle, etc.). So those are taken care of.

My chapter books are all leveled on the inside of the cover with my label, so students can easily tell if the book is their reading level. But I do like the idea of organizing them by level. I have several shelves in the room, so maybe I'll designate reading levels by shelves-this shelf is all all 2/3, this shelf is all 3/4, etc. That's a great idea.

I guess I'm going to have to think about this one a bit more. More opinions are welcome.

12. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Are you going to keep all your books for your 3rd graders? There is a huge difference in maturity level when it comes to 5th and 3rd. I would first try to pull the books that you know your students will not be using and box those up. I do have 3rd graders reading on 8th grade level BUT the books are not appropriate for them to read. Then start to figure out how many you will actually have.

Good Luck- it seems like I reorganize my library every year and it is exhausting.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, I'm selling a lot of my older books. Which STINKS, because I have a lot of BEAUTIFUL hardcover books I JUST got from Scholastic. I'm tearing up a bit just thinking about it. I think some lady might be coming out Thursday night to look at them. She has a re-selling business, and I just don't have the time to wait for online orders on my e-store (too many boxes! must get rid of the boxes!). So if I can sell them all to her for 50 cents a piece, maybe I can get a few things off my wishlist. I have a lot of of the younger series as well, such as Animal Ark, Horrible Harry, Magic Treehouse, etc. It's just going to be a different world. Sigh.

14. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

books

I know as far as organization, it seems better to just use one way of storing books. However, I have both in my classroom. I have shelves with books randomly placed for easy take, read, and replace. I also have baskets with books leveled. Our school used the AR system, so the books are leveled with the the appropriate letter. Sometimes we are on our way to the library and a student doesn't have a book to return and thye go grab a few from the shelf. If they finish work, they tend to head to the shelf also. Sometimes I think they don't want others to see the books that they're choosing. Maybe they don't want others to see the level they are choosing. I feel that whatever it takes to get them to read, works! Just use what works for you and your class.

15. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Your set up looks great!

16. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

17. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I love your library, Calalilys! It is so organized! I'm sooo jealous of how large your collection is! How long did it take you to get all of them? any tips on expanding my own library? Since this is only my
    3rd year teaching, my collection fits on one bookshelf.:(

Question: where did you get the NOISE LEVEL poster I saw in your slide show? I'd love to get one for my room this year.

18. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I'm teaching Pre-K now and still use this system (but I read them to the students now). When I taught older students, I divided my 2000+ picture books into themes and put them into 2 gallon zip lock bags marked with a sharpie. Then I stored them in Scholastic Book boxes by order I used them. (Box 1 had back to school books (i.e. Kissing Hand, Black Lagoon..., etc.) Box 2 had Apple/Pumpkin/Fall books.) I also had author studies grouped together (Brown - Arthur Books, Numeroff - If You Give A.... Books) and put in date order that I taught them. I put AR books and chapter books (Magic Treehouse, Goosebumps, etc.) in a bookcase where the students had access all year. The theme books were displayed on the chalk-board ledge and in white baskets. Sometimes, I would move last week's books to a large blue basket if they hadn't been out very long and put the new books on the ledge and in the white baskets.

The students liked having something new come out to read each time we changed a theme. Example: After we finished our Artic/Antarticia unit I would put away all the penguin and polar animal books and get out the next unit (usually Valentine). There were a few AR books scattered in my themes and the students would POUNCE on them. :)

19. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

Here is my library, organized by different color baskets: yellow-pic. books, by series, author, character; green-non fiction; red-chapter book by series, author, character; blue-leveled books. My OCDness requires me to have the colored baskets.

They are from Dollar Tree, Bed Bath and Beyond, and REally Good Stuff primarily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/twiggy610/ClassroomLibrary

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I've used baskets for many years, but never organized anything until last year. I like the baskets simply because they could take a basket to their desk, look through about ten books, then take the whole basket back.

I organized them last year, but they don't get put back correctly, so I may stop messing with it. I'm trying to get rid of things that annoy me.... (insert joke here.)

21. krissy83

krissy83 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Beth MI I really like the way your library looks and am wondering are all your books in the same area of your room or do you have them in different areas? I am a new teacher and am going into a room where the former teacher was there for 30 years so I have a lot of stuff to sift through but she had her nonfiction in another part of the room from the rest but I think I want to keep them altogether. Could you explain to me how you decided to set up the library the way you did?

22. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2008

K-2 have baskets at our school.
    3rd starts bindings out on the shelves. I wouldn't invest in baskets.

23. bowler

bowler Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I have been in the process of redoing my library. I teach 4th and I have been using the plastic shoe boxes from walmart. They work great. I made a bunch of labels for the boxes and am now making matching ones for the books to make them easy to put back. The bins work better for me, but I don't know about everyone else.

24. lincoln11

lincoln11 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

thanks for sharing your pictures...I love the response language posters!

25. Joji

Joji Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Off topic, but where did you get your shelving in picture 9?

26. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I taught 5th last year, moving to 4th this year. We use AR levels at my school. I use plastic shoe boxes labeled with AR levels (2.0-2.5, 2.5-3.0, etc.). This is for my library furnished by the school. Students have access to those books anytime. For my personal library, I kept my books on a shelf, binding out, behind my desk. This allowed me to keep better track of the books that I have bought personally, and who is checking them out.

27. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

Thank you.

All my books are in the same area. I do, however, have a few books scattered around the room-chalkboard ledge, under my word wall, but they pertain to words/grammar, and whatever I was doing on the board!

I wanted to keep all of my books together so that when they are sitting on the floor in our meeting area they are surrounded by books. That, and that's where I had space for them!