classroom libraries

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by brennanj, Jul 18, 2010.

1. brennanj

brennanj Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Hello everyone!

I have been investigating whether or not to invest in a (book)scanner for my classroom library. I found one article saying that google has a library prompt and you can keep track of the books you own. I have also read about different programs you can purchase. How do you keep track of the books you have in your classroom? Also, what ways have you found best to catagorize them?

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I have almost 2,000 books in my classroom librar, and started to notice that a lot were going missing! So right after school got out, I bought an Intelliscanner and started scanning in my books. It's taking forever, but I know it's well worth the time.

I'm hoping that I can assign the job of "classroom librarian" to a tech-savvy student, and train them how to check out and in books for students. I think it will not only be a good way for me to track my books, but a fun job for them! That definitely wouldn't work for K, but you could check them in and out for them!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

Personally, I wouldn't have any use for a scanner because students don't take books home, and they don't have desks, so they don't have any place to "hide" books. I guess I just never feel like I'm losing books.

I organize by author, genre, and subject. Some of my categories are:

-Fiction animals
    -Non-fiction animals (I'm going to re-organize these books into more categories because they're getting full-ocean animals, forest animals, etc.)
    -Fairy Tales
    -Poetry
    -Science
    -Social Studies
    -Math
    -Music
    -School & ABC
    -Art & Colors
    -Seasons
    -Holidays
    -Eric Carle
    -Leo Lionni
    -Kevin Henkes
    -Mo Willems

There are more categories, but I can't think of them all right now.

I use these bins in clear:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...fhu=3138333338

I turn the bins the long way, so any picture books can fit. (I used to have smaller bins, but many books didn't fit.) I use velcro to attach the labels. The labels contain the category name, along with a picture, and a dot sticker. I place a matching sticker on the upper right-hand corner of each book. This system has worked very well for me-I very rarely find books out of place, and the kids can find books they are looking for pretty easily.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 19, 2010

I have two separate libraries, one for the students, and one for me. The student library doesn't circulate outside the classroom so we don't need a scanner for those because they never leave. However, I do scan my own thematic books that I use for read alouds with a cue cat scanner into Library Thing. Library Thing is a free, on-line service (with a paid option for larger collections) that you can use to categorize your books, it's super easy to use and has different options you can choose to view your books- by theme (tag), cover, alpha etc.
    I have a page on my website about organizing classroom libraries.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2010

I don't have a scanner - just an excel sheet of all of my books. When a student wants to check out a book, I write down their name, the title, and the due date on a sticky note. Sticky note goes on my calendar.

I also have a long talk with them about why it's important that they not "borrow" books without checking them out... and why Ms. Chebrutta doesn't replace stolen books.

Last year, I had about 5 of 500 go AWOL.