Classroom Keys!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missrebecca, Sep 14, 2014.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

...Where do you keep them? I've always worn mine on a lanyard around my neck, but I know some people wear theirs on stretchy coil bracelets, some keep it in their pocket, some hang it by their door and only grab it when needed...

My lanyard broke, and I'm just curious what others do! :)

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2014

We have to wear a name/photo badge (on a landyard around our neck) while at the school, so I just clip it behind it so I know I won't lose it (and since I put my keys in my desk during the day so I have less in my pockets).

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

At my old school, I had two. I had one on my regular key chain and one in my desk drawer, which I used during lockdown drills. I never carried a key. We typically never shut our classroom doors at night, so there wasn't a need for a key. All of the locks were the same, so we could access any room with our key. Our building was never used after school outside of PTO meetings or other things we had to be present for anyway.

3rd grade last year- I kept it behind my badge on a lanyard. I didn't wear a lanyard before that, so maybe that is why I didn't do it that way before.

Kindergarten last year- no key. We had an open school. No walls. No doors. The building had a keypad and a code to get in.

New school- in my pocket for now. We don't have badges yet, so no lanyard yet. I will put it on the lanyard once I get a badge.

5. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 14, 2014

When I got my job I got a big stack of keys. I keep those in my desk so I don't lose them and I keep the keys to my classroom and my desk on my car key chain(which stays in my pocket). I still don't have a clue what those keys were for...

6. chitown

chitown Companion

Sep 14, 2014

I hang mine on a peg by the door. I share a classroom though, and keys need to be left in the office at the end of the day, so the one set of keys needs to be accessible to both of us. Another teacher wears hers on one of those stretchy bands around her upper arm. In my last school, we were required to keep our keys in acrylic pockets bins by the doors for lockdown purposes.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 14, 2014

I keep mine on my lanyard around my neck because I have to wear my id badge every day anyway and then I always know where they are. If I didn't have to wear the id badge, I would probably just keep them in my purse. I don't like having something around my neck all day, but it's district policy.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 14, 2014

I used to keep them on a carabiner around a belt loop hole. I also have a lanyard attached. This often led to me getting the lanyard caught on things and ripping off my belt loops.

I now just stick them in my pocket, with the lanyard hanging slightly out.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

off topic, sorry, but Giraffe, I would love to read about your experience with this sometime.

I wear a lanyard with keys and my ID. I'd lose them if they were anywhere else. I use them all day long.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2014

I usually just throw the lanyard with my keys and ID onto my desk, but I am trying to get into the habit of hanging them on a hook by my desk.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

Around my wrist on a stretchy coil thing. My flash drive is attached.

I hate the look and feel of a lanyard around my neck.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

I always kept them in my pocket on my regular key chain. I preferred to keep them close just in case we had an emergency and had to leave the building. I could still get home if we couldn't get back in. For the same reason, I never took my purse in the building. That kind of emergency has never happened, but I figured I was always prepared!

13. melnm

melnm Companion

Sep 16, 2014

I wear them on a lanyard with my ID badge. I have to use them throughout the day to get back in the building since all doors are locked, so I need to have them with me all the time. This is the first year I've done it and it's taken me awhile to get used to having it around my neck.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2014

I loved my lanyard, but the organization that owns the school I teach at has decided that isn't professional enough (appearance) so now you either keep them in a pocket - so not happening with me - wear them on something around your wrist, which works poorly for those of us with tons of keys for everything, or use the caribiner and a belt loop. I have invested in the extendable tag holder for my swipe card that I need to come in and out of the building, and my key that I need to come and go out of every single room once inside the building. I REALLY miss my lanyard!

15. Andrew

Andrew Rookie

Sep 19, 2014

Simple Way is to tag the key in your Lanyard along with your ID..so it wont be lost.

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Sep 19, 2014

I wear mine on a lanyard around my neck. I lock my doors when I leave my room, as do most of my colleagues. I would lose my keys regularly if I didn't wear them.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 19, 2014

I keep them on a hook by my desk, or on a bookshelf behind my desk. Or in my bag. I never lock my door-the custodian does it for me at night-so I don't need to carry them around during the day.

We've never been told we need to wear our ID badge, so I don't. I hate the feel of things around my neck, and we all know each other anyhow.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2014

Around my neck. If I didn't have a lanyard I would definitely lose them!!

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2014

Amen to that! I have become separated from my keys five times since the lanyard ban. Not a pleasant experience. :(

20. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 19, 2014

I keep my key on a lanyard with my ID badge. I did keep it on regular keychain, but our classroom doors only lock with a key - even from the inside. So I need it close by in case of lockdown.

21. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 19, 2014

Interesting about the lockdown procedures!

I've been told we can't keep our key and ID badge hooked together, because someone could find the key and know exactly what school to break into. lol. I guess it's kind of true, because our keys open virtually all doors in the building...

22. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 19, 2014

Agreed, Giraffe, that would be awesome to hear about! :)

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

I only use my key in the morning to unlock my door so it's on my regular key set with my car keys. But this year my door needs a key to lock it (in the past there was a button to press to lock the door) so I will need my keys handy in case we have a lockdown drill. I need to figure out what to do because if I leave my car keys handy I know I'll forget them in school on a daily basis. Thinking of hanging my classroom key by my door on a lanyard.

24. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2014

I keep mine on my normal key bunch and keep it in my bag. I unfortunately don't like wearing a lanyard.

25. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2014

I usually put my keys on a carabiner clip key chain. I clip it to my belt loop that is closest to my side pocket and then put the key in the pocket. At the end of the day I clip it to my purse. When I wear a dress I have a lanyard I keep in my desk and I clip it to the lanyard instead. My old carabiner key chain was a great dollar store find that had my last name on the nylon attachment. In the event that I lost my keys they would find their way back to me. I replaces that this year with a new carabiner that has the retractable string. It works great because the locks at my new school are higher than the ones at my old school.

26. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2014

I used to keep two separate key chains. One for my personal keys and one for school keys. i did this for 5 years. For what ever reason this past summer while I was teaching summer school I started not being able to keep up with both sets. I would leave my school keys at home, couldn't find them, dropped them in the hallway and the custodian found them. Or I would leave them in the room I was teaching summer school. I think most of the reason was because I was not teaching in my room so I didn't need them to get into my room. The building was all ready open by the time I was required to be there. So I put all my keys on one. Still having a little problem of leaving my keys in the office if a parent is late and I have to call them. I have left them twice and only realized I had left them when I try to leave and have no truck keys.

27. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 22, 2014

I put my key on a big diaper pin and fastened it to the waistband of my pants. It never broke, and I only put it through the wash three times in 25 years. Not a bad record. It was never in my way, and it was always immediately accessible.

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2014

Hopefully not off topic, but it is always necessary to keep a key to your car, and possibly your house (depends on your habits), in this day and age of bomb threats. I have twice been part of that action towards the end of the day, and the bomb squad will NOT let you into the building until it is cleared. Here, the announcement is fire drill, not bomb threat, meaning you probably won't grab your purse if you don't regularly do that. I have seen teachers standing around without a coat, without their purse, and with no way home. It definitely helps to be a guy with your keys in you pocket, or to plan ahead and either put your car key with your school keys, or hide a car key somewhere under your car that you will be able to access. I got lucky the first time - hubby always had a spare key hidden, but I still had to borrow someone's phone to find out WHERE the key was located!

29. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2014

I have a female co-worker with a really big chest who is always wearing these low-cut tops (she also wears a tank top under, but she still shows off tons of cleavage). Anyway, we were meeting with students at lunch yesterday and I noticed that ...

1. She keeps her keys and phone in her bra. Not clipped to her shirt, but in her bra.
    2. She has no shame in reaching into her bra, in front of students, to get these items out.
    3. Sometimes things get lost (shift?) and she has to do a lot of digging to get her keys.

I asked her if she always keeps her items in her shirt and she said, "whenever she can."

As a female, I just thought this was so odd especially because she was doing this in front of students. Although, maybe if my chest was her size, I would use it as a purse also.

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2014

I think it is culture, don't you? I have seen this before.

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 23, 2014

We are required to keep our doors locked and to wear our id. So, both, along with my key card to get into the building are on my lanyard. When I'm not at work, I keep my lanyard in my purse.