Classroom Jobs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by loves2teach, Jun 29, 2009.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

Howdy :)

I am starting "new idea mode" and on the LONNNNG g:yawn: 12 hour drive back home this week, I started thinking about my classroom job situation.

My first 2 years teaching, I had a pretty decent system. In a great location (on cabinet doors at arm level) I had a cute smiley system where I had about 12 jobs (a little less than 1/2 of my class had a job each week). It was easy, the kids worked, things were great.

Then I moved schools. My new class was a bit smaller, so the 12 job thing was overwhelming. My 4th year, I put my jobs on my classroom door, which didn't work (I was still in denial about it and did it again this year). It was too low, and I never really gave out more than line leader, caboose, and rr monitors.

This year, I have decided to put more responsibility on my main jobs. I am tired of having kids say "can I do xyz" all of the time. I also thought to put beside each job the responsibilities the job holder has. I am putting the jobs on a cabinet, so hopefully I can bring back that loving feeling :lol:

I know that some of you change jobs daily, or weekly, but I usually change bi-weekly. My friend changes once a month, and another once a semester. Also, I know some of you have different jobs, or only have 1-2 student helpers.

So, what do you do?

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

So, here are the jobs I am thinking about having next year, with the responsibilities laid out.
    Classroom Jobs

Line Leader
    -Lines up first
    -Sets the example for the line

End Line Leader
    -Lines up at the end of our line
    -Sets the example for the line
    -Turns off the lights, mutes the projector, and closes the door

Girls & Boys R.R. Monitor
    -Lines up after line leader when leaving the classroom to go to the RR
    -Assesses the cleanliness of rest room before having students enter
    -Has students enter 4 at a time and monitors their behavior while in the rr
    -Reports any behavior issues and/or cleanliness issues to teacher or other adult
    -Makes sure that restroom is lean when we leave

Librarian & Botanist
    -Collects and returns books on library day
    -Ensures that our classroom library is tidy and organized
    -Monitors student use of classroom library books, and makes sure that students return library books in a timely manner.
    -Waters classroom plants on Friday afternoons before we go home.

Technology & Chair Coordinator:
    -Makes sure computers are on when school begins, and off when school ends.
    -Takes chairs down each morning, and puts classroom chairs up and the end of the day.

Hall Reporter:
    -Watches over students in the hall while at lockers.
    -Reports any behavior issues and/or cleanliness issues to teacher or other adult.

Pencil & Sanitizer Technician
    -Sharpens pencils at the start and end of the day
    -Collects extra pencils from students once a week.
    -Distributes sanitizer to class before lunch.

Administrative Assistant
    -Collects homework from homework collector, checks to see who turned it in, and puts homework in abc order.
    -Reminds teacher to complete attendance
    -Checks teacher’s mailbox.
    -Runs any errand that needs to be completed.
    -Answers classroom phone when teacher cannot.

4. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I have the easiest job system and I love it... I have two jobs: Classroom Assistant and Housekeeper. I assign two kids to each job on a weekly basis. I have them put their name on 4X6 index cards and then decorate them, I divided the index cards into four piles, punch holes in the corner and put them on these large metal rings. I hang their names next to the job two job descriptions I have hanging on the walls. It worked great!! :thumb:

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

Mrs.A, do you have all of the students' names in each of the four piles or do you break the class up and rotate the rings through the piles?

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I had 9 jobs (and a detective theme):

Special Operations - teacher's helper, passed out paper, etc.
    Communications agent - answered the phone, wrote date on board
    Courier - took stuff to office or other classrooms
    Agent on call - substituted for anyone absent
    Ambassador - met people at the door so I didn't have to interrupt my teaching
    Facilities support - put up chairs, picked up trash, dusted
    Document logistics - straightened & organized the library
    Security - turned on/off lights, closed/open doors
    Classified - for anything else

We changed every 2 weeks & I just went in # order. If they wanted a job, they accepted, if they didn't, they passed. If they were bad at their job, I gave it to Classified or Special Ops.

7. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 29, 2009

How fun! :) Neat idea! I want to do a detective theme this year.

I just have two helpers each week. At the start of the year, I put up a chart showing who the helpers are for each week. I always have 24-26 students, so everyone gets at least 3 turns and is with a new partner each time. It has helped keep me sane doing it this way. :)

8. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

Yes, I break the class up and rotate them.

9. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I tried to find job names and real job descriptions.
    Secretary, File Clerk, Janitor, Groundskeeper, Zoologist, Horticulturist, Attendance Clerk, Pencil Maintenance, Desk Manager, Recycle Team, Lunch Servers

10. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I had enough jobs for everybody. One of the jobs was the "substitute" and that person filled in when someone was absent.

We rotated after 20 school days... and since the jobs never changed, the students didn't need much training after the first two rotations since they simply learned from observing their peers to the job prior to them starting it.

The jobs I had were as follows...

Captain - leads the line
    Housekeeper (2 kids) - cleans up at the end of the day
    Biologist - waters the plants on Mon, Wed, and Fri.
    Security - walks at the end of the line, shuts door and turns off lights when we leave the room
    Waste Management - collects trash after snack
    Courier - drops off attendance and checks my mailbox
    Room Service - drops off lunch count and gets our snacks
    HW Teller (2 kids)- collects homework folders
    Paper Delivery (2 kids) - passes out papers as needed
    Substitute - fills in as needed

I'm probably going to adjust the jobs for next year.. but I definitely liked the 20 day span.. too much switching made things hectic. Everybody had to pick a job and it worked out fine this year.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

I have enough jobs so 1/2 my class has a job each week, the other half is 'on vacation' for that week;) This year I had 22 kids so I had 11 jobs...that meant doubling up some of the jobs so 2 kids would cover...lunch helper was a good one for that, one kid would read the list of who got what and the other would be the 'delivery' person. Next year I have 19 kids so I'll have fewer 'partner' jobs.

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

Each day I have a leader and a helper. Those two children do all the jobs for that day. I have the leader list on a piece of posterboard and just move a clothespin down the list each day. Sometimes I let the leader pick their helper, other times I will chose with a random pick. This is so easy and uncomplicated and the children like all the responsibility. They are also the 'experts of the day' and the other children can go to the leader and helper with any questions, before they ask me. I made simple aprons for the the leader and helper to wear. I thought they might think it was cheesy, but every single one of them chooses to wear it.

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I like these ideas. I was thinking about doing a baseball theme this year (LOVE BASEBALL). Pitcher-passes out papers, Catcher- collects, other positions for other jobs -phone, door, errands, sweep, etc.

Thoughts?

14. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I had students apply for the jobs - they also get paid - however, if they don't do their job - no pay - and they get terminated.
    I changed jobs at semester, unless someone was terminated or wanted to resign. I had about 9-10 jobs

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2009

I tried to have a job for each student last year (some jobs had more than one student), but my classroom population was so fluid (our kids changed schools a LOT) that became impossible, so I created a couple of "on vacation" spots, and we just rotated weekly that way. After a week or so of school, I assigned numbers (based upon alpha last name of my students that week) - I do everything by numbers - and I would just move popsicle sticks (each with a student number) around my job board. My jobs were: line leader, Eagle of the week (does Calendar Math, leads pledges, etc.), Caboose, Center Inspector, Paper Passers (passed them out AND took them in), Librarian, Messengers, Scrap Monsters (cleaned up), and Supply Handlers. I did not have students do pencils (I had a very expensive electric sharpener and NO manual sharpener till MAY), any paperwork, or answer the phone, because they were 1st graders. Overall, it worked pretty well, although I didn't utilize them NEARLY as much as I should have or as much as I plan to this year!