Classroom Jobs

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms_B, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Hi,

I just graduated from school and will be teaching fourth grade come this Fall.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of a list of common classroom jobs. I started making a list in my head today-however I can't think of enough jobs for everyone to have one.

Any suggestions would be great!

3. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Hi Ms. B!
    You're going to love 4th grade. In my past experiences, I've only had maybe 5-7 student classroom jobs. I think it's good to not have so many because then it gets tricky to manage. I also like to tie in my classroom helper system as a reward. If everyone has a job then it's a given that they can behave any kind of way, but can have a job. It's just my personal opinion to have the students earn their jobs so that they can take it seriously and have great behavior to keep it. Then if a student misbehehaves, I can tell them, "OK, I'm sorry you may need to get fired from your job, and I will have to hire a more derserving student." I know it may sound harsh, but with the student population I have at my school, we have to be very firm and structured. OK, here are my classroom helper jobs:

1.)Line Leader
    2.) Door holder
    3.) Paper passer
    4.)Messanger-If I ever need to send a note to a teacher, etc.
    5.) Teacher's special helper:this person gets to help with those odds and ends things that happen for example, helping with the overhead, get materials grouped together, etc.
    6.) Telephone answerer-which I will probably call my secretary :)

*These jobs are probably the obvious ones, but it works for me. It would be interesting to hear from teachers who tried to manage a system where every student had a helper job.

Take care, and best wishes!!!

4. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 3, 2008

You will LOVE 4th grade! Last year was my first year and it went really well. I also don't have a job for each student because it does get a little hard to manage if you do. Here is a list of my current jobs:

--Student of the Week (not really a job but this student is also my line leader)
    --Door Holder (also turns off the lights)
    --Teacher Assistants (2 students who pass out papers and such)
    --Boy Bathroom (monitors the boy bathroom)
    --Girl Bathroom
    --Floor Monitors (2 students sweep floor, wipe tables down at lunch, dust)
    --Librarians (2 students organize my class library)
    --Homework Planner Checkers (2 students check planners each day to make sure everyone has hw down correctly and a parent signature)

I believe that is it! I am going to change how often I switch jobs however. Last year, I switched jobs every Monday but I think I'm going to switch every other Monday this year. I think that will help the students get more involved in their jobs plus less work for me! :lol:

Hope this helps!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I used to have a lot of jobs, but none of us could make it work, so for the past several years I have kept it simple: Morning Helper and Afternoon Helper. We switch helpers every two days.

6. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I tried lots of jobs but found it too crazy. My MVP (student of the week) will take care of the pets, lunch bucket, etc and I will have team (table) captains to collect pass/papers. I can always find a willing helper if I need one.

7. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I have two job titles... Classroom Assistants and Housekeeping. I assign two students for each job for the week. I made it simple by writing their names on large index cards and I had the students decorate them. I then laminated the cards, hole punched them, and put them on large rings to hang on the board.

8. nlkteach4

nlkteach4 New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Although each school has different procedures these are the jobs that have worked for me:
    Runner- takes lunch order to cafeteria and any notes to office or other classrooms
    Mailboxes- rather than put office or graded papers on the student desks, each student has a "mailbox" with their name on it. The person in charge of this puts papers in student mailboxes.
    Papers- helps to pass out any worksheets or homework papers
    Library-responsible for collection and delivery of library books
    Absent Helper- THIS IS A BIGGIE! If a student is absent, the helper fills out a form with each subject that simply states what was done in class that day and any homework that was given. At the end of the day, the helper puts the form in the absent person's mailbox and that is the first place the absent student goes when they come in in the morning... this alleviates the "Did you do anything yesterday?" You will have some questions but many are eliminated:)
    I change these each week. I put the students' names on wooden clothespins and draw them for jobs. I keep track of who did what on a spreadsheet. If they have a job one week, they are not eligible the next. All students should have a chance to do each job at least once.

9. Angela Wilkins

Angela Wilkins New Member

Aug 4, 2008

I always make sure there is a job for each student. Including a substitute. You job chart should be able to expand or contract as the number of students increases or decreases. If you make up a chart on a poster board that can add or remove job titles as needed, create pockets with them so that you can use a 3x5 card and rotate names. I change them once a week and it is the center managers job to do that. The nice thing about it is when you have a sub the class can run itself. I also have a substitute liason and dictionary GURU. These are long term jobs and in addition to the others so that. The liason knows where everything is and how to help a sub and I tell the sub to ask the liason if she has questions. The GURU is responsible for looking us words we don't know and can't figure out. Challenging words. That is my best suggestion.

10. cllohman

cllohman New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Ones I've used -- paper passer, plants, pets, office helper (takes things to office), materials organizer (keep markers, scissors, etc. neat), line leader, substitute helper (does the job of anyone absent), pledge leader, floors (picks up floors at end of day), ambassador (answers door-official greeter), executive assistant (teacher's helper-also helps substitutes), board cleaner.

11. Ems

Ems Rookie

12. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded! You all had great ideas and examples-I have a lot to think about now in developing my own classroom jobs.

Thanks again!

Ms_B