classroom jobs...

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by looking in ct, Aug 2, 2007.

1. looking in ct

looking in ct Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Hi Everyone! :)

What sort of classroom jobs do you have your students do?

Thanks!
    :D

3. nboris827

nboris827 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I have a Paper Passer, a Line Leader, a Caboose (for the end of the line), a Hand Sanitizer person, an Office Runner, and someone to open the door (if not, someone always runs to answer the door). If anyone has other jobs or creative names for jobs, I'd love to hear them!

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

Captain (line leader, answers the phone, takes over a job of any absent person) messenger run messages around, paper passer, paper collector ( I have "table captains" at each table who collect work and then give to the paper collector-this is also the person we pass papers to, then they distribute at table), librarian-makes sure books are neat, mail carrier-passes out mail, sink -cleans up the sink countertop, overheads-wipes them clean. Garbage collector-at end of day walks around with trashcan and gets old snacks, etc. from kids at their desks.

That's all I can think of now.

5. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

These are the ones I could recall:
    Delivery Person 1 & 2(notes, lunch money, papers, etc)
    Lunch Count(count & write down the number of hot lunches we need ordered for the day)
    Lights & Door(line up end of line, takes care of these each time we leave the class)
    Recyclers 1 & 2(take our bins daily to the huge recycling cans)
    Sweeper(done daily at clean up time)
    Names(move names over to starting spot of our check in board for the next day)
    Drills 1 & 2(take our emergency folder & small emerb. bucket out with us)
    Soap(gives each student a squirt of our foaming soap during our lunch washing routine)
    Lunchroom 1 & 2(return lunchboxes in our lunch box container to room after checking that our table and floor area of the lunchroom is clean)
    Calendar(they run calendar time after the first weeks of my modeling it...I have a list posted for tasks to complete)
    Otter Keeper(Otter is our math fact practice program, the job is listing for me any quizzes requiring more copies so I can take care of that for the next day)
    Pencil Sharpeners 1 (Take care of sharpening the pencil pot pencils...pencils students may borrow until they have a chance to sharpen their own pencil)
    _____ Books(All books in my class library are labeled as are their containers and/or shelf area. Students are assigned a specific theme or label to check: correct books with labels facing out & return other books to correct place.) I have more than enough themes for all students to have a job

Jobs are kept for a week.

6. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

This is what I planned on doing:
    Line Leader
    Door Holder
    Mailperson
    Office Helpers (2)
    Floor Sweepers (this is required for cafe) (2)
    Table washers (this is required for cafe) (2)
    Paper passer
    Caboose (room changer)
    Librarian
    Tech helper (handles remote/helps pther students with technology)

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

These are the ones I can think of from the top of my head:

Teacher Assistant (answers the phone, passes out papers, puts corrected work into mailboxes)
    Line Leader
    Line Ender
    Calendar Helpers
    Electrician (shuts down computers @ end of day, turns off lights etc.)
    Librarian
    Pencil Keeper
    Floor Captain (picks up trash, straightens up desks)

I can't think of any more.....but here are some that I plan to add for next year!

Peer Tutor (tutors students who sign up for help in math, writing etc.)
    Materials Manager (keeps writing table fully stocked, pencil in area, centers in order)
    Room Reader (reads the Question of the Day to students & manages the chart, reads special notices to class, reads the morning message to class etc.)
    Room Writer (writes our book titles for bulletin board, helps write morning message during interactive writing,)
    Class Expert (this is the person the students will go to if they have a question about something before asking me. Especially during guided reading groups so they don't disturb me).

8. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I also use similar job descriptors for my helper chart. I usaully make up my own chart and laminate it rather than buying a premade chart. I have used a giant crayola box (i.e. colorful helpers), and a bee chart (busy bees)... Does anyonelse do this or have new ideas for a different chart that I could create? Thanks!

9. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I have 5 tables of 4 kids in my class and I have a "captain" of each table. They pass things out, collect things, walk around and be sure their table is neat, carpet picked up etc. They are the "keepers of the warm fuzzies" too! Each table has a small round colored tupperware I got from walmart with their table color. If they are first to have books out, cleanest, quietest, etc. they get their captain to come up to front and get a warm fuzzy. 20 fuzzies gets them table prizes. I also have pencil sharpeners, 2 kids who change the behavior chart to green and write down names of those missing recess that day, I have mailman who puts stuff in cubbies to go home, Go To Lunch Bin person who takes sack lunches in bin to cafeteria. Board eraser, courier (notes to office, lunchcount etc.)and Calendar person. I have 9 jobs in all besides captains that makes 14. We keep the jobs for a month and then get Funny Money for doing it well. I have a treasure box weekly to redeem money for prizes.

10. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I have:

1 team captain per group of 4 or 5; keep their group's floor and desk area tidy; also check groupmates' backpacks for all HW materials so their group can line up for recess

1 line leader
    1 door holder (line ender) who also shuts off light in room
    2 bathroom monitors (boy & girl) who keep RR clean and quiet
    2 cafe tablewashers
    2 cafe sweepers
    2 equipment helpers for recess who also make sure all students are present before we go inside from recess

2 errands who do misc. stuff for me and take attendance to office
    2 supplies helpers who pass out paper and textbooks, markers, etc.
    2 media helpers who turn in library books crate and carry class' media checkout cards
    2 recyclers which really are the media helpers since their job is only once a week

11. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I have tried to simplify my life by having one helper every day that does anything and everything I need done for that day. I have a calendar for the month with one student each day. They LOVE it when it is their helper day. I have done this for several years and it works for me.

12. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Aug 17, 2007

i haven't started yet, so this is all theory, but I LOVE the ideas and simplicity of having one helper. I think that I will do a snazzy little vest for the helper and leave it at that!

Ash

13. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I also have one helper per day. I make name cards at the start of the year and the helper from the day before picks the current day helper. Some years I use Ellison Press shapes for names and they take it home the following day when they pick the new helper. Helper will do anything/everything from being the line leader, taking attendance to office, passing papers, etc. It works great for me...

14. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I would love to try that one day. Unfortunately in trailers students always need a partner to go to the building with them. Safety precautions. We are also responsible for cleaning up our tables and floor areas in the cafeteria, not the janitors. With supplies, it takes so long for even 2 students to pass supplies out to every desk and so this year the team captains will have that responsibility since there will be 5 of them. Are you 1-helper all in classrooms?

15. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

gosh, a cafeteria? we are near san diego, so the kids eat outside on tables unless it is pouring rain... lol... and we have class size reduction thru 3rd grade... only 20 kids per class... everyone does their own thing when it comes to helpers...

they can take a partner with them to the office or bathroom... i am in a portable as well... we are just now getting a little more concerned about security but most of us old timers hate to see the school become a prison... it's certainly a hot topic around our school these days...

16. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

1 Line Leader
    2 Lunch Count
    2 Door Holder
    4 Chair Stackers
    2 Teacher's Helper
    4 Trash Moniter
    1 Folder Holder
    5 Week Off!

17. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Aug 18, 2007

SOPHIE1,
    I made a caterpillar and called it "Helpful hands"

18. maemcgov

maemcgov Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

gab, I was curious: what exactly do you have your calendar people do? I was going to do the same thing, but I want to limit the number of steps during calendar (mark the date, record the number of days, use place value sticks, tell us what yesterday was, etc) so that it's not a long, meaningless process for everyone else in the meeting.

19. Youngteacher226

Aug 24, 2007

I have a calendar helper as well but he/she doesn't do everything! They do lead the activity, but they call on helpers to do things also. So that the process is not meaningless. So if the calendar person is doing the "What Time Is It Mr. Fox" activity with the clock, then he/she picks a person to come up & write the time in analog. So the calendar time is still very much interactive.

20. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

This year, I added two new positions: Computer Manager and Listening Center Manager. Last year, so many students had problems with those centers while I was trying to do guided reading.

I also have the following: Table Managers (4), Line Leader, Door Holder, Behavior Manager, Pencil Manager, Materials Manager, Attendance Manager, Police (2), Teacher's Helper and Lunch Manager.

I have to add another position though because I just received another student.

21. Youngteacher226

Aug 24, 2007

Just curious, what does the Police job entail????:confused: :)