Classroom Jobs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LovetoteachPREK, Jun 26, 2014.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 26, 2014

Hi all! New to first this coming year and I am trying to figure out what my classroom jobs should be. I know I will have a line leader, a messenger, floor cleaners and maybe pencil sharpener people, but after that I'm a little stuck. What does everyone else do?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2014

I rotate weekly so half my class has a job each week...
    Consider:
    Calendar (lots of math opportunities)
    Technology
    Line leader
    Library
    Lunch helper
    Plants
    Messenger
    Papers
    Mailbox

4. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jun 26, 2014

I have one girl room manager and one boy room manager each week. They do any job I need them to do. I also have one boy and one girl substitute manager.
    If the manager is absent the sub takes their place. If the job is big the sub helps out.
    I love it because I only have to keep track of two people. Plus, it is easy to keep track of on a small pocket chart. I keep a folder with each child's name and a chart of names so I can mark off each person as they have a turn.

5. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

I do the helper of the day...pick a new child every day and he or she does whatever I need him/her to do...

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 26, 2014

I have

Paper passer
    Supply officer
    Messenger
    Line leader
    Librarians (2)
    Computer tech
    Breakfast bin (2)
    Lunch counter
    Substitute

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

This worked well for me and the kids loved it, too! :thumb:

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

Let's see what I remember from student teaching.
    Line Leader
    Caboose
    Teacher's Helpers (2)
    Lunch Helpers - 2 (They bring the lunch order down to the office, and ask the secretary for a copy, then bring the copy back. They also alternate daily carrying the kids cards with their money for lunch on them)
    Cleanup Crew (2)
    Weather Watcher (For Morning Meeting)
    Calendar Helpers - 2 (Morning Meeting)
    Substitutes (2)
    Cubby Monitors (2)
    Pencil Sharpener (Got to help the teacher sharpen pencils at the end of the day)

Can't remember the rest of the jobs.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

I only have jobs to make my life easier. I used to have tons of jobs, and the kids loved it, but it really was more work for me to "train" them and make sure they all did their job.

I have:
    -2 supply helpers (pass out papers and supplies, take the library books down in the morning, etc.)
    -Lights and doors (line up at the end, and turn out the lights and shut the door)
    -Errand runner
    -Hallway inspector (more important in winter, when there are always stray boots, mittens, snowpants, etc.) - I may get rid of this one, since I always had to remind the hallway inspector to do his/her job. It was easier for me to just check the hallway.
    -Substitute

I kind of like the helper of the day thing, now that I think about it. If I get rid of hallway inspector, I'll only have a few jobs left.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2014

I'll add to the list: classroom library cleaners.

I have had that job in the past but not this last school year. I am thinking to implement it again next year. Even though it is everyone's responsibility to treat the classroom books nicely and keep them organized they inevitably still get out of order and mixed up.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

Table Washers (for cafeteria)
    Floor Sweepers (for cafeteria)
    Class Librarians (help organize and straighten up class library)
    Library Helpers (take down library books every day)
    Line Leader
    Line Ender
    Messengers
    Paper Passers
    Pencil Sharpener
    Substitute
    Technology (they help pass out computers, and also use my iPad to take pictures during class events)
    Trash/Recycling

It's a lot of jobs, but the kids enjoy getting to do different things. I have even numbered students on one side, odd on the other, and I switch one side every week.

12. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

My students each have a job that they keep for a week. I really feel that it is important for student ownership in the classroom. Preschool children do not have a well-developed sense of time and struggle with waiting to have a job. My students move over one job each week on the job chart. This is a great pre-reading skill as once they understand the chart they see how long until they get a specific job, that when you reach the end of a row you go back to the beginning of a new row, and that everyone’s names and jobs have letters (Becky and button have the same 1st letter). We talk about how all the jobs are important to make our school family run well and that you need to try lots of different jobs.

Here are some of the jobs my students have used in preschool and in my kindergarten classroom
    Calendar (adds the calendar number each day)
    Days in School (adds one straw for each day we are in school)
    Weather (puts the weather picture on the graph)
    Song selector-choose our greeting song or a song during transitions
    Pledge helper-lead us in the pledge of allegiance
    Library helper (2)-carries the library books to the library
    Wish you Well Helper (puts the picture/name of any child absent on the heart so we can wish them well)
    Welcome back helper-greats returning children with a welcome back kiss (felt lips on a stick)-we chant "You've been gone and you
    Kindness helper-add a flower to vase for the kind things they notice other people doing in the classroom
    Cart Helper (pushes the breakfast/lunch cart back to the kitchen)
    Garbage Helper (carries the tied garbage bag outside the door for our custodian to pick up)
    Apron Helper (wears the greeting apron and give each child a hug, handshake, high five, or smile)
    Substitute (does the job of anyone who is absent)
    Mail Helper (puts any outgoing papers-newsletters, book orders etc.-into each child's mail box)
    Button Pusher (pushes the button to open the door out to the play ground)
    I love you rituals helps (choose an I love you ritual for the class to do that day) -see Becky Bailey's site www.consciousdiscipline.com if you are not familiar with these connecting songs they are wonderful for positive behavior)

Coins helper (picks up the coins (what each child uses to indicate what center they are working in) at center time)
    Vacuum helper (runs the carpet sweeper after breakfast/lunch)
    Milk bucket helper (brings over the bucket that we empty our milk cartoons into if we don't drink it all before clearing)
    Spoon helper (carries the spoon container to each child to collect their spoon after lunch)
    Table washers-(I have 2) help to wash the tables after snack
    Light helper-turns the lights on and off
    Line Leader
    Caboose walks at the end of the line to make sure everyone is safe
    Balls (2)-carries the container of balls out to the playground.
    Substitute does the job for anyone who is absent
    Hall Monitor-makes sure backpacks, coats, etc. are neatly hung up in the morning and after recess
    Cheerleader-choose which cheer we use to celebrate (found here http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_a.../06_2004a.html)

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014

My Jobs:

Secretary (Answers phone) 1
    Substitutes 3
    Hand Out Monitors 3
    Pencil Sharpeners 2
    Calendar 1
    Closets 1
    Messenger (Brings attendance to office, any other messages) 1
    File Cabinet (On a magnetic file cabinet I have a clip system for going to the bathroom and magnets to say who is present and who is absent or out of the room this student resets this daily) 1
    Respect Points (A school wide behavior system that we keep track of to win school wide prizes) 1
    Table Monitor (Hand out table supplies since we have tables not desks) 3
    Library 2

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2014

15. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

I have 2 classes, and just made my chart yesterday.

Daily Jobs: (In both classes)
    Line Leader
    Door Holder/Lights

Weekly: (In both classes)
    Center Managers - 2
    Materials Managers - 2
    Handouts - 2
    Bathroom monitors - 1 boy and 1 girl

Weekly: (Only in Homeroom class)
    Floor Sweepers - 4
    Waste Management - 2
    Table/Desk Dipers - 2

My job chart is all dry erase so it should be too much trouble. Everything for my homeroom is in green and the other class is in blue.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2014

17. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 2, 2014

Each of my kids have a job and I switch them out each week:

Greeter
    Turn on Computers
    Pass Out Folders
    Pass Out Papers
    Line Leader
    Cubby Checker
    Floor Sweeper
    Monitor
    Turn Off Computers
    Turn Off Elmo
    Straighten Bookshelves
    Put Up Chairs
    Dust
    Bathroom Book
    Bathroom Sticks
    Run Errands
    Turn Off Lights

I can't remember the rest because I only had 17 kids this year!

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 2, 2014

I got know..

What is a bathroom book and stick? :)

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2014

I really love how you worded this chart - I've never seen that before! It seems to lend itself to teamwork better.

I read your post and am super intrigued by the kids having the same job for a long period of time. What happens if multiple kids want the same job and others feel cheated because they get "lesser" jobs? Do you pick for them or do the kids "apply" for their jobs?

20. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 3, 2014

-Line leader
    -Door holder
    -Caboose
    -2 Messangers (kids cannot travel the hallways alone)
    -Library Helper (reorganizes the books in the library for a few minutes before the bell rings or at the end of the day)
    -Job Substitute (takes over for anyone absent)
    -Guinea Pig Helper (uses a little broom and dustpan to scoop guines pig poop each day. Strangely, this is everyone's favorite job!)

We switch every week, so each student has a job two weeks a month.

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

I'm going to jump in here too- because my jobs are kept for two months. In the beginning for Sept/Oct kids apply for jobs. I select based on their application since I don't really know them at that point. By the time I pick for November/December I know them pretty well. They get the jobs they deserve. If they're constantly late they don't get a job that has to be done first thing in the morning. If they can't pass out papers without talking to everyone along the way they don't get a similar job- or any job at all. I have about 5 less jobs than students. Sometimes I tell students they just didn't get one this time and they will get one of their choices next time. (I do make note of it.) Other kids are purposely not given jobs because they haven't shown they're responsible enough for a job. I stress that a job is a responsibility and a privilege. If you don't do your job well (as well as your school work) it's possible to be fired. I've only ever had to actually fire one kid.

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2014

This is super interesting. Do you find there's resentment at all? ("Johnny got the job I really wanted and now I'm mad at him" kind of thing?)

Would you be willing to share what your application looks like? I am moving from 1st to 5th this year and am super interested in doing something like this with the big kids. :)

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2014

No, never. They really don't care that much. They like having jobs but I've never had anyone super disappointed, even my most immature kids that get upset at the drop of the hat.

I couldn't find anything saved on my computer for my application. I'm pretty sure last year I just made a chart of each job and skills/qualities that were needed for the job.

Ex:
    Calendar: good at math, on time in the morning
    Respect Points: honesty/integrity, good memory
    Secretary: good listener
    Messenger: trustworthy, on time in the morning
    Pencil Sharpener: quick, on time in the morning

Students were told to pick the jobs they thought they qualified for and explain why.