Classroom Jobs

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by primaryteach, Aug 26, 2011.

1. primaryteach

primaryteach Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

What classroom jobs do you assign in your first grade classroom? What do you call them? :D

3. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 26, 2011

Line Leader (leads the line)
    Line Ender (ends the line- responsible for shutting off the lights and making sure the door is closed)
    Door Holders (pick 2- they stand behind the line leader and take turns holding doors)
    Messengers (pick 2- they bring attendance/lunch count down in the morning
    Milk Delivery (pick 2- they pick up the milk cartons for snack and store them in the refrigerator)
    Librarians (pick 2- they are responsible for keeping the library area neat and organized)
    Homework Helper (responsible for counting the homework packets in the bin each morning, checking for names, and reporting if any are missing)
    Substitute (does the job of any absent student)

Here are some others that I do not use but you may need:
    Gardeners (waters plants)
    Center Assistant (assists classmates during centers when you are working with a small group)
    Room Inspector (inspects the floor and desks of students at the end of day for cleanliness)

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

My line ender is the caboose
    recess director - takes out basket or wagon with balls, jump ropes, hula hoops, etc.
    flag holder
    teacher helper - could also break this into separate jobs if more jobs are needed - ie, paper passer/collector. supplies passer glue, scissors,etc.
    hall monitor
    water fountain monitor - could count 1-5 as each child takes turn for drink (helps cut down on "hurry up!", He's taking too long!" etc.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

*Note: The most "coveted" jobs are 1 (girls), 2 (boys), and 5 (both). I try to give my "busy" students jobs, not just the quiet, well behaved ones. THat way when the busy ones act up, they lose their job and are motivated to get it back by behaving correctly

1) Line Leader (gets to line up first. has to be really responsible and know what corners to stop up, where things are, etc)

2) Caboose (last to line up. makes sure no one is lingering in the room. closes the door and keeps an eye on the general line. so if I'm near the middle and someone falls in the back, caboose comes and tells me)

3) Chair People (take down the chairs in the morning and put them back up on top of the desks in the afternoon)

4) Name Checker (one person in each groups collects their group papers and checks to make sure there is a name and date on each paper)

5) Office Messenger (like the line leader they have to be VERY responsible and able to go to the office quickly, give the necessary documents to the secretaries and come back to my classroom quickly without taking a "tour" of the school)

6) Supply Captains: (they pass out manipulatives, art supplies or whatever materials we need as a whole class for a particular subjecy)

7) Chalkboard Wiper

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I have a couple class helpers and they do all the jobs listed above. I just can't keep up with 20 different jobs. I kind of chuckle when I hear neighbor teachers asking, "Okay, who's my door holder?" and then half the class yelling back 5 different names.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I am like Lynn. I forget which child has which job or forget to give them the opportunity to do the job when it is their turn if I have a lot of jobs. I tend to have a few weekly jobs

Cleaning captain 3 of them

Chair checker 2 of them

Lunch basket carriers 4 of them

Rows on the rug take turns handing out stuff.

Every other job is floating

8. primaryteach

primaryteach Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Thank you!

9. primaryteach

primaryteach Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Thank you for reminding me it's okay to keep it simple!

10. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 28, 2011

I only change jobs once a month. I know that not every child gets to do every single job at some point of the year, but I've never had any problems. Keeping it consistent gives the kids a chance to really understand their responsibility.

11. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 6, 2011

I choose a "Star Student" each day. I make a big deal out of choosing popsicle sticks with their names on them (and putting in upside down when chosen so each child gets a turn). I write their name in the meeting area on a big star sign. They get to choose a large star sticker or a star smelly sticker. This "Star Student" then does all the jobs that are required that day...line leader, take lunch money, water plants, hand out paper, serve snack, stuff mailboxes....anything. I LOVE THIS SYSTEM AND HAVE USED IT FOR A FEW YEARS. I was one of those teachers who could never remember who had what job....now I can (usually) keep one kid straight! :) Good luck!