classroom jobs/helpers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cjven, Jul 25, 2007.

1. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I am working out my procedures for middle school social studies for the school year and I want to know what kind of jobs you have your students apply for (Harry Wong method). In the Wong book they talked about having someone do attendance but other jobs do you delegate to the students?

3. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I always have a Librarian. Their job is to make sure all the books in the class are straightened up and no one can leave until they are. I usually let the librarian leave their seat to straighten the books about 2 minutes before class is over.

4. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

ooo this is a fun one.

Materials: I have a class set of things like colored pencils, rulers, scissors, etc....In order for kids to use the supplies they must turn in a school ID (or something valuable-->backpack) in exchange for the supplies. One person is in charge of checking out the materials.

Greeter: Principals LOVE this person. Anytime a visitor (not a student) comes in...they hop up and say "Hi I'm Joe. welcome to Ms. Ayotte's class. Today we are learning about the Sumerians"

Fire Marshall: They are the ones who help grab attendance books when the fire alarm rings. They take roll and make sure people are accounted for

Waste/Recycle Management:
    These are the kids that help recycle the paper and pick up trash after projects, etc

Paper-Passer-Outer:
    Sometimes it's good to have 2 of these. They return graded stuff, so you dont' spend 20 minutes walking around the room

Neighborhood Watch: (I thought this one was brilliant- got it from another teacher) If you ever have to step out of the room to speak with another student (usually their poor behavior) 2 people are neighborhood watch...they stand at the front of the board and take names of anyone that is disruptive, talking, or not on task. Works very well

there are more, but i cant think about them all right now...=/

5. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Ayotte - I like your idea of a paper-passer . . . do you worry about others knowing how well people did on their assignments or tests? I have someone who does handouts, but yours sounds like a great time saver . . . maybe I am too paranoid about marks?? I'm sure they share them on the bus soon enough!!

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Honestly, I kind of don't care. I mean I have other things that I worry about more. The kids that didn't do so well know that that's their fault. They are eventually gonna share their papers. And often the people that are passing out, are my better students and usually they are more mature and wouldn't analyze other students' papers as much.

But that's just me. Others may feel differently and that's cool.

7. rose5455

rose5455 New Member

Jul 26, 2007

How does this work?

8. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I really LOVE these ideas! Do you think these would be workable with my 6th grade life science classes? I wasn't sure if you utilized this is a contained classroom or had a bell schedule...

GREAT ideas though, thank you soooo much for sharing!!! :D

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I also don't worry about the kids passing out papers seeing their others marks. I sometimes hand out papers that I think might be embarrassing myself, but I haven't seen a major issue with this in my classes. I am pretty sensitive towards how kids are thinking and feeling in my class, but this just hasn't been an issue. I think the kids pretty much know where they stand. They all know who passed their state tests last year and who usually fails just by natural interaction and the way classes are scheduled (a tutorial advisory class or more of a study hall/activity period.)

10. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

Last year I underutilized the possibility of having jobs so I am going to make a concrete plan for next year. I plan on having:

1 person in my last class sweep the floors to make the janitors happy. I have students who love to do the sweeping every single year even though I doubt they like to at home.

1 person each class to pass out corrected papers and also the work to students who were absent.

1 person per group (4 groups/class) to make sure all supplies from supply cases are returned properly.

5 people to deal with breakfast (they eat a free breakfast in the classroom.): 1 person to bring coolers from hall and set them up along with the trash bag for breakfast trash. 2 people to take coolers back to cafe. after breakfast and to fill out order slip for the next day. 1 person to check desks and make sure students cleaned up crumbs and water condensation from drinks (a common complaint last year.)

1 person per class to write a log of daily activities, book assignments, handouts given out. (still not sure I'll do this one, but want something for absent students to see what they missed and I am not organized enough to do it. Plus I think there will be a student who would like this responsibility in every class.)

1 person per class to get all handouts for absent students, write their names on them and put them in the class folder. (definitely happy about this idea.)

1 substitute per class to take over any jobs for students when absent

1 person per class to check that all students turned in assignment by putting them in order for me.

What I am still trying to figure out is how will I delegate jobs? I don't want to switch too often--maybe once a month. I also don't want to make a big deal about choosing who gets what. I was thinking I would just ask students who are interested in having a class job volunteer, randomize the list, and rotate the jobs this way.

Some "jobs' I will keep free for whoever might be best-suited at the time. For example, I like to ask a student who has extra energy or one who doesn't often participate to pass out papers, take things to the office, etc. When I taught elementary, I would sometimes write a note to a teacher at the far end of the hall that just said, "This child needed a little break so I sent him on this important errand. Please just tell him 'thank you' and send him on his way back." I would staple it or seal it in an envelope (which the child thought made it an important errand.) so the child couldn't see and made sure what I wrote wasn't too direct about me needing a break from the child. Anyways, sometimes these little jobs are great for things like that.

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Oh I forgot to add (and you can make the name as creative as possible like "cinematic assistant")
    but you need a lights person too to turn them on/off/halfway...saves lots of time to run from your overhead proj. to the other side of the room

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I'm not sure I understand the question. You just assign kids (or have them apply for the jobs) roles for length of time of your choice ...i'd recommend 4-6 weeks.

with that many kids, obviously keep a running list ---think Excel--- of who does what....

is that what you meant?

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Yeah I used these on a bell schedule. I would assume for science classes you may need to modify roles...You guys have different supplies like chemicals, lab stuff, beakers, etc....

it's not a concrete list, its what works for YOUR classroom. The way i'd do it, is think back to last year's teaching...what wouldve been time savers for you? What were things kids could do for you to help instead of you burdening the load of being not only a teacher but also the garbage man, the greeter, the firemarshall, etc.

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

gosh they just keep coming to me....also if you have a black/white board kids LOVE to help clean it whether its wiping it down, or wiping a wet sponge across it.

and if you have transparencies as well, I HATE cleaning those. I come home with the rainbow of colors on my hands and look more like a preschool teacher than a middle school teacher. I like it when kids clean those for me.

15. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

thats very creative and smart to send him out like that. love that idea...i'll be using it

16. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I was planning on having my students apply for the jobs each quarter. It would also be a way for them to earn extra credit.

17. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

and good practice for the "real world"

:D

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2007

You said it before I finished reading the trhead, this is a huge one for me. I hate cleaning the boards and transparencies! The kids love it! I am happy that they do!:2up:

19. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Last year I did not have specific people do certain jobs I just called on people when the time was needed. But I think that kids ( even older ones) like to have a position. I just find the class time moves way too fast (we were on 50 minutes) to have monitors.Also I noticed the kids were really helpful and would always volunteer to do anything!

20. PJS

PJS Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

More classroom jobs

I like your ideas.
    I also have someone to water the plants; to feed the fish; to close windows at dismissal; to be a messenger who delivers notes, etc to the office.

21. msb

msb Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Hi, does anyone provide an incentive program for the classroom helpers? Is there extra credit involved? I am going to have them sign up for the jobs--fill out a job application. Does anyone have a job application form ready?

I think that kind of weeds out the kids who don't want to really work hard, or slack off on their job.

Any help would be grateful! :)

Thanks for all the ideas!

--MSB

22. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 31, 2007

My 8th grade jobs:
    Putting up the flag outside in the morning
    Attendance and Lunch Count + deliver to office
    Prayer leader
    Lunchroom garbage duty
    Taking down the flag outside in the afternoon
    Erasers
    Substitute

As the oldest kids in the school (Pre-K to 8 Catholic school) my kids also take on many other responsibilities as they arise

23. msb

msb Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

Just had another question. Do you have the parents sign the application form, too? I haven't figured out what incentives to give my helpers. I don't have any classroom money--just raffle tickets.

Thanks!

24. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Sep 1, 2007

We don't give incentives, the kids know that they must all do their part for the school community.