Classroom Job question

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mrsammieb, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2010

I have always had jobs.. line leader, calendar, pledge, greeter, counter, song leader, attendance taker, caboose, lights and weather.

But I was reading on Miss Bindergarten site that this one teacher has one person do all the jobs for the day. She had them wear a special cape and be the teacher helper! I kinda like this idea. But do you think kids at this age would understand and be patient enough for their turn. Should I keep things like it is or maybe try teacher helper?:dizzy:

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I went to a training and the trainer does the same thing. It's something I never had considered before but it made me pause. I do think this could work but I'm not sure if I'm ready to try that yet. Also, what about jobs that require two people? Mainly messengers.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2010

I think I would have a helper and an assistant... to be the caboose and message helper... then the next day the assistant becomes the helper and there would be a new assistant.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

I have always had just one helper or "Leader of the Day" for 18 years, it works very well for me. You can read all the details on my Classroom Helper page.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I have 2 "Lucky Ducks" everyday that do everything. I have 2 laminated pictures of rubber ducks (Got from google images) and I post them above my kids lockers. I simply move them every 2 days (although you could move them everyday or by the week). I will NEVER go back to regular jobs! I love this system. Because my kids can see the ducks above the lockers they can see how many days away it is until their turn. I usually have 18-20 kids so with having 2 lucky ducks it doesn't take long for them to get a turn.

I actually got this idea a few years back from reading this message board. So this was not my original idea.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2010

That is a cute idea! Our mascot is the bee's so I could call them the busy bee's!

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

I have tried both ways and I prefer classwide jobs. I like that each child has something they are responsible for each day.

9. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I did this when I taught 2nd. I assign lockers in order so on the 1st day locker 1 & 2 were helpers and we lined up in 1,2,3 order. The next day I moved the marker 1 name over & so we lined up 2,3,4....1, This way everyone gets to be 1St and last in line. I will try this with K now.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 8, 2010

That's what I do, too. In addition to the leader being my helper, all students learn how to take care of everything in our classroom.

I tried jobs for about 3 weeks my first year of teaching, and I didn't like it!

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2010

I like the line up order idea too. Then they know exactly where they are suppose to be in line. And than each day it will be by the same people and that it kinda still changes.

12. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I really like the 'Lucky Duck' idea! I might try that. In the past I haven't had anyone picked to do any jobs, I just randomly pulled a stick when I needed someone to help. Has anyone tied this in with Star of the Week, or something similar? A week would be a long time though, for kindergarten, do you agree? I was also wondering if I could tie it into having that person share the day they are the 'leader'. What have others done for sharing?
    Thank!