Classroom Garden in So Cal

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by busybeeZ, Mar 12, 2010.

1. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

Mar 12, 2010

So, I have an 8x8 foot garden plot for my class. It has been neglected, but the school's gardeners are coming to clear it out and turn the soil. I can also have them fertilize if I want. But the problem is, WHAT TO GROW? :help:I need something that will look nice, preferably taste good, and be fairly easy to maintain. I am in a coastal suburb of LA. ANy ideas as to what I should grow? Please help! I really don't have a green thumb!:thumb:

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

Personally, rather than growing food, I think I would turn it into an opportunity to teach about water conservation by planting water wise plants. Mexican sage is easy to grow and has long stalks of purple flowers most of the year which the hummingbirds love. Pride of Madera is another of my favorites. Any good local nursery can give you recommendations - it just doesn't have to be cactus - there are a lot of native varieties and beautiful plants. Kalanoche (sp?) is a succulent that blooms and attracts birds. We have a place called the Water Conservation Garden which is having a big community even and sale next Sat. - maybe you have something like that in your area?

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

Sounds great! Dave's Garden has free forums where you can get lots of help/ideas for your zone.Your students will enjoy it-we have to have indoor plants!!

5. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

Why not try a salsa garden with tomato, onion, peppers, and herbs?

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

That sounds good! Cilantro isn't too hard to grow as long as you water it (can you tell what I don't do well?!?). Geraniums grow like weeks around here. You could ask people in your class if they have cuttings so kids can see it can grow from a broken off stem.