Classroom games

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jan 11, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 11, 2014

Do you have go-to, super simple classroom games or activities that will work for nearly any subject or lesson for those moments when you have a few extra minutes ? Or games that you use regularly to review information? I'd love to find or create a list, as most games that I find online are for one specific teaching topic.

Here's one I used while teaching abroad, often as a warmup activity. My classes had around 50 students, and this worked great for a large group:

Everyone stands up. The teacher has either powerpoint slides with questions, or asks them orally. The first student to raise their hand to answer the question is called on. If they are right, their row of desks sits down. Another question is asked, and another student answers correctly. This time, their column of desks sits down. The game continues with questions and the teacher allowing row, column, row, column, to sit down. I would stop when only 5 students or so were left standing, so that no one person was singled out.

A teacher whose classroom I observed in also had this simple activity for moments when the kids were waiting for something (like a computer that had frozen):

Teacher announces there will be a mental math problem. Teacher might say 5 + 2 (pause) -3 (pause) x 4 (pause) + 2 (pause) -5 (pause) x 2. Then the teacher would ask "who thinks they have the answer?" A student would give the answer, and the teacher would say, "who agrees?" or "did anyone get a different answer?"

Because she relied on the students to verify the correct answer, she didn't really even have to think about it, and could fix the computer / find a paper / address the issue of the delay as she spoke.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 11, 2014

Around the world games always work well with math.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 11, 2014

I go for the simple ones because the more complicated ones require so much effort and students rarely understand the rules.

I like
    Catch-it: You basically throw around a ball and ask review questions of whoever catches it.
    Slap-it: You project a bunch of vocab words on the board. You ask a question of which one of the words is the answer, and the first student to slap it with a fly swatter wins.
    Match-it: You have students get into partners. They have two sets of cards. One could be images and the other can be words. Or it can be questions and answers, and they try to match the cards up.
    Find-it: This one can be done a bunch of different ways. They can search for things in the textbook, or they can search for things in the classroom, or they can search for things outside, depending on how you do it. I give them a scientific concept and the way I was taught it, they take a picture of it outside using their phones. They can then print it out and put it on a worksheet. Only problem is my school doesn't allow phones to be out, so I have them sketch it.

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jan 11, 2014

We divide into teams. Each student has a dry erase board and marker. I display a story problem, vocabulary word, etc. Everyone on the team must write down and agree on one answer. If they are correct they get to roll a die. If they roll a one they get one point. If they roll a two they have to give a point to another team. If they roll a three they can shoot a basket and if they make it they earn two points. A four results on a loss of the point. A five means they can steal a point from another team. A six means they lose all of their points. They love this game, and would play all day if I let them.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 11, 2014

Quiz-Quiz-Trade. It's a Kagan activity that I learned about from a member on this board. Google it - it's awesome and works in every subject area.

7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jan 12, 2014

Check out Fred Jones' PAT Activity Bank. There are pretty simple games there that I've used in my classrooms as time fillers and review.

http://www.fredjones.com/PAT/

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 12, 2014

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!

I forgot about Around the World! I remember playing that in elementary school!

Thanks! I'm looking through these now, there are some good ones here.

I agree Peregrin5, I have found that the super simple games with not many rules often work the best. I worked in an alternative high school once, though, and the teacher played Who Wants To Be A Millionaire using cards from the board game. The kids loved it.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 12, 2014

As a PP said, Kagan structures are good. I use "What's the Question?" because I can do it without prep....just ask questions and they answer on paper or dry erase.(They get up and find a partener.)

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 12, 2014

I've been looking up Kagan structures, but it seems like most of the information is stuff that you have to pay for (like their classroom games books). I've found about 4 or so games and activities that they have on their website and youtube. Are the Kagan books worth buying?

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jan 12, 2014

I always play Brain Quest on days where you have a few extra minutes or are waiting for a field trip/special activity.

12. LinguaTutor

LinguaTutor Rookie

Jan 14, 2014

There are so many games to play with students! For my older students I love playing games based on tv shows, particularly Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I use a PPT template and just change the questions here and there.

This requires a lot of preparations but in the end it's worth it!

13. rgbsky

rgbsky Rookie

Jan 14, 2014

good i like this

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 14, 2014

I just learned a game today that requires almost NO preparation.

Just have a list of words up on the board. Have students in groups of two or three. One person is the speaker. The others cannot look at the board. The speaker has to describe the word without using the word or any "rhymes like" or using gestures. The others have to guess what the word is. The first group to finish wins. Great for vocab.

15. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 14, 2014

You don't need to buy the Kagan books. Lots of freebies online. I took trainings and have the books, but got many things free online. Did you look up What's the Question? Basically, just ask orally or have something on the board.(No cards to prepare, etc.) Students silently walk around and pair up.(I use music.)They sit back-back and ask-what's the q?. I ask and they write on their own. Then, they sharewith each other. Call on 1 student to say the answer. I use it a lot for review-very flexible and you can adjust/modify.