classroom economy

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by kassrose, Jul 15, 2010.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 15, 2010

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a classroom economy where students are paid $1000 weekly. They will also earn bonus bucks for good behavior and are fined for misbehavior and can use their money to buy privileges. I am trying to assign monetary values to the privileges and came up with this:

$200 Be first in line.
    $300 Draw on the chalkboard.
    $500 Use Miss Spurlock’s chair during reading time.
    $500 Choose a comfy seat for reading time.
    $700 Do only half of your homework.
    $1,000 Skip your Morning Challenge for one day.
    $700 Get 5 minutes of Show and Tell time.
    $1,200 Get a No Homework pass.
    $1,500 Sit at Miss Spurlock’s desk for the day.
    $1,500 Have lunch with Miss Spurlock.
    $1,700 Have lunch with Miss Spurlock and invite a friend to join us.
    $1,800 Choose a movie for the class to watch.
    $2,000 Sit by a friend for the day.
    $2,000 Have Miss Spurlock send a note home to tell your parents what a great kid you are.
    $2,000 Choose the music for Fun Friday (bring in a CD).
    $2,000 Move your desk anywhere in the room for the day.
    $3,000 Stay in at recess to play a game with a friend.
    $3,000 Choose any class job (when we switch).
    $5,000 Have lunch with Mrs. Carlson.
    $6,000 Cancel homework for the entire class.
    $7,000 Free extra recess for the entire class.
    $8,000 Popsicles for the entire class.

Does it look like I've rated them appropriately? Do they seem to cheap or too expensive? Also, are there any rewards that you think they kids will think are dumb or won't choose that I should delete?

3. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 15, 2010

You might want to raise the prices because some of the rewards are quite attainable if they are getting $1000 a week. You are going to end up having lots of lunches with students and giving out homework passes :)

4. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I agree, I would probably pay them only 1-200/week, but with some of the rewards you've chosen I can see some complications. Like the day when 8 kids want to be first in line and all have their money ready. How will you decide who's money to take first? Will you have a bank day (Fridays) for them to 'spend' their money?

I'd also be a bit worried about that "Note home to parents." I'm a big proponent of sending home notes to parents when students are doing well, but you might have kids who try to take advantage of your well wishes on that one.

Other prizes/rewards like this that I've done include saving up X amount of $ to attend an end of the quarter activity. Like buying a pass to movie and a lunch.

Hope that helps!

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

What are you using for money? Is it stuff that you print up yourself or are you buying fake money somewhere?

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

I did this with bank accounts last year and I'm going to use more realistic numbers this year because they lost all sense of what things were actually worth when it came time to buy things at the school store. They would win $500 for a math tower or whatever, but thought it was insane to spend $100 on a silly band.

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

I think I'd be inclined to write a note home if one of my kids chose something like this! That is a really nice idea :cool:

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Here is what I do

Hi everyone,

I'm a 3rd year teacher in Alberta, Canada.

For the past 2 years, I have had a "SkinnerBucks" classroom economy run in my class, with improvements over the last year's methods.

First off, I have made my own money, with my face on them and 2 areas that are blank white where I have embossed the paper to make a watermark that is impossible to reproduce / copy to ensure fair money making, and no photocopying at home imbezelment.

My money is in colour with the following denominations:

I give each student a "checkbook" with a series of additions, and deductions, which is where I pay them their daily amount (random amount each day (usually $15-$28))

I also have a "SkinnerBuck Fines" list posted at the front of the room with various fines:

Reaching into the lotto jar - All your SkinnerBucks
    Complaining if your get a fine - Double
    Leaning back on chair (2 legs) - $4000
    Being silly - $100
    Loud outside voice in the classroom/Hallyway - $100
    Visiting/passing notes during worktime - $500
    Running in the hallway - $200

Etc.

I basically add fines as the year progresses, and take off fines that don't apply to the class that year.

Example: A girl was obsessed with Twilight, and she would be swooning over Jacob, "Jacob this, and Jacob that". so I wrote a Team Jacob fine on the board. Rolled a dice and the number landed on 4 (4 digit fine). I let "Chance" make the amount of the fine by having her roll the dice. She rolled a 2,4,4,1. Therefore her Team Jacob fine was $2441 each time she said Jacob...

She only taked about Jacob at recess from then on.

If a student gets fined, they pay their fine to the "Lotto Jar" where everyone's name is written on a popsicle stick including "the bank", and when the time comes, I reach into the jar and count up the total.

Sometimes it is over $8000 SkinnerBucks.

You have to be sitting in your desk in order to win, if your name is pulled. I ask the students if they want to "split the pot" but 9 times out if 10 they say no. (Greedy buggers) I pull a name and then present the entire jar's fines to they lucky person.

One time the girl that was the loud one of the room, put over $4000 of her own money in the jar and her name got pulled, so she received her second chance...

What they get to sped their money on:

Every so often I have a "Tasty Tuesday" where I bring in healthy snacks, and some not-so-healthy snacks. Ice cream floats and Gummy worm jello cups are the favorites, but ricekrispie squares, and cookies go over well as well.

At Christmas and Easter, I have special money that they exchange to bid at the winter and spring auction. Winter is "SnowDoh" and Spring is "BunnyMoney".

I usually raid the dollarstore with recycling money saved up from the class bottle deposits, and present items that the kids can bid on.

To eat up their savings, 1 SnowDoh equals 10 SkinnerBucks, and they cannot trade their SnowDo back in for SkinnerBucks, so they usually start at 0 when they return from winter break.

Overall it is a lot of work to get going, but I love it, and the kids do also. If they are bad I simply fine them, and if they are good, I pay them.

For special guests, assemblies, and field trips, I write the fines up and let the kids decide what the rates should be. They usually are fair and ask if they are good, if they get rewards. I usually put my expectations, up on the board, and they adhere to them they can get some bonus cash just for behaving.

Anyway Good Luck,
    Mr. Skinner

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

When I did classroom economy, it took a while to figure out if I priced them correctly. Once you get underway, you may realize that you priced too high or too low.

Oh, and welcome back H2Omane!! Haven't seen you around in years!!

10. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Thanks, it's been a rocky 2 years in the field, but I'm now settled in Wainwright for a while...

Thanks, it's good to be back.

Mr. Skinner :D

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

Here is my website way back when I taught fifth that MAY help you, or not. :)