Classroom Dojo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachgrade5, Jun 29, 2012.

1. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I am planning on using Classroom Dojo next school year. If you use it currently, please tell me what you think about this website.

I also have a few other questions that I am hoping someone can answer. I want to revamp my behavior policy so I am looking for some feedback...thanks in advance for your help!

What positive behaviors and negative behaviors do you use in your classroom?

How do you use the points in your classroom? (Store, class bonus time, etc.)

How did the parents react to the behavior reports? Did you send them home? If so, how often? (Our students have data binders, and I am thinking about putting one report in every Monday morning for the previous week's behaviors or maybe on Friday morning from Friday of the previous week to Thursday of that week. Does that make sense?)

Anyother suggestions?

Thanks again!

3. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I and my co-teacher are also planning on using this next year! I haven't used it in the past so I would also be interested to hear other's perpectives. I teach in the middle school and next year as a whole we are moving toward keeping a conduct grade on their report card. I was thinking of using Dojo to track points during the day to factor into that.

One thing I do not think I will do is project the points for all the kids to see. I just don't like that idea. I also loop with my kids for 3 years so I already know I have a few major off-task behavior kids who I will be tracking and sharing with them the number of re-directions etc. they need during my class. I think it will give them a little perspective and we can help change behavior this way.

Anyone using it now please do share!!

4. ocean18

ocean18 Rookie

Jun 30, 2012

I was asked to give this a try from a tech teacher and provide some feedback for her so I agreed. However, I only ended up using it for a few days. Here's how it went:

As with anything new, it motivated most kids to get the positives. As with other types of behavior systems (such as tickets for caught being good, etc), once a kid saw I was adding positives, others stopped doing the wrong thing so that they could get positives. Which obviously is good for them to start doing the right thing. But if many were doing the right thing, I found it hard to mark all of the positive kids that were initially doing the right thing because then the others saw what I was doing. It was also hard to stop what I was doing (such as working 1 on 1 with a student or teaching whole group), to record those positives.

One of the other things I didn't like was the negative part of it. I chose not to record the negative behaviors for the kids to see because I wanted to focus on just the positives.

Since I was just experimenting, I didn't do the parent part of it and communicate this system.

So overall, I personally didn't care for it for my style in the classroom. However, I will admit I could have tried to give it more time to see how I could use it to my liking and learn a little more about it. The intent of this site is good so I see lots of potential, but it just wasn't something for me. This probably wasn't much help here but thought I would share my limited experience.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

Just noting that I use the app for the iPad.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

I attempted it, but it didn't work well. From others that I have spoken with who have gotten it to work, they all had some handheld device they could carry with them at all times to quickly make the marks. I do not have such a device.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 1, 2012

I used it, too. On my iPad. What I like about it is I can anticipate what the kids will probably do that I want to discourage, and what I want them to do. I can make my own buttons for those things.

I would not show the kids what other kids were getting. In fact, if possible, I'd prefer the kids don't notice I'm marking things about them.

Later, I can show the kid what I noticed about their behavior, and come up with a plan to improve. Since it tracks data over time, they can watch their own progress. If there's an unusual dip or rise, I can check in to see what's up.

Also, parents like to know how their kids are doing in school, including behavior, so that's one more chart I can add to the conference report.

8. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Jul 1, 2012

I hadn't heard of this but I'm checking it out now. Behavior management is a major issue for my students. I'm wondering how well it will work with my high schoolers.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2012

I've never heard of this, but it's right up my alley and I just signed up. I saw in the reviews that you can give virtual stickers - I don't see that option, and I'm wondering if there's other "hidden" features I could use. I'm absolutely going to try this next year on my smartphone.

10. TXteacher7822

TXteacher7822 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012

I used Dojo during my student teaching and it was great! It really made the kids want to participate so they could get points. Even the most uninvolved kids would raise their hand and contribute to the discussion. I would definitely recommend trying it out.

11. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 1, 2012

Thanks for all the feedback. I am planning on using the smartphone feature also. I just have to make sure my P and AP know why I have my cell out during the school day. I know they will probably be on board once I explain everything.

I like the features it has to offer, and my students have to keep a data binder. Behavior is one thing that has to be included. I love the fact I can just print off a weekly behavior sheet, three hole punch it, and send it home. Much easier than what I have been doing.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

I team teach 6th grade with 2 other teachers. We already do something similar on paper. We record behaviors on a clipboard and assign detentions, etc. based on the clipboard. At the end of the year we started sending home behavior reports daily. We also wanted to add positive behaviors this year. I think it could be a great tool for digitizing what we do already. I just want to be able to have teachers with their own account, but share classes, so all of the data from the entire day for one kid can be in one report.

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 1, 2012

Ok, please explain Dojo. What is it? I went to the link above, however you have to sign up & agree to their contract before even getting info about them.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Maybe this video will help. :)

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I'm in love! I used a clothespin-clip (vinyl banner) board last year, and liked it, but this is fantastic!

16. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 1, 2012

justme- thanks for the link! Don't have internet access in class tho. :(

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

It's basically amazing. I used it last year with 3rd. I don't know how I will incorporate it into sped, but I'd like to!

For points I kept a chart daily that said Dojo Stars. I wrote the names of the kids who had a bunch of positive points or point gains. The kids with the highest positive percentages got small prizes or PAT time.

18. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

I've never used it before but it looks pretty cool. I couldn't use it all day though so I think I'd like to use if for whenever we do group activities and give points to teams instead of individual students.

19. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

Did you make it on VistaPrint?

20. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

Do you know how to share data with individual accounts? This was something my team didn't like about it because the way we understood it, you would either have to have one group account in order to track kids all day long since they switch teachers. Is there a way we can link classes and track students all day, even with individual accounts?

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2012

You can't lnk accounts, but Natasha from Class Dojo sent me an email yestereday letting me know the feature would be coming. Here's what she wrote:

We haven’t finished building this feature, but soon you will be able to view all the classes and data of other teachers in your school.

You will first be able to see a list of other teachers at your school, and then opt to share your data with them. They could then log in and see you data in real-time at any point during the day. If you’ve both added the same students, our system will merge them, checking with you first.

In the meantime, feel free to upload duplicate students or share a single account. As ever, if there’s anything we can do to help, just let us know!

22. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

Thank for that information! I hope they get that feature going soon!

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 3, 2012

Of course :)