Classroom Discipline

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MathBall7, Feb 7, 2012.

1. MathBall7

MathBall7 New Member

Feb 7, 2012

In a Secondary Math class, what are some methods and steps that you would take in disciplining students who go against the classroom rules that are set? What type of method, such as aggressive, do you use in your classroom?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2012

I'm not sure if I understand your last question. Can you explain by what you mean when you say "what type of method, such as aggressive"?

4. MathBall7

MathBall7 New Member

Feb 7, 2012

Discipline

What type of discipline do you use in your classroom? One of these types is aggressive.

5. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 7, 2012

It's a surprisingly short step from "aggressive" to frantic, if you give them your best shot and they shrug it off.

I act as if I expect them to behave, and they do. Then I work on building relationships, and all goes well.

6. MathBall7

MathBall7 New Member

Feb 7, 2012

Do you have a set of classroom rules that are posted in your classroom? If so, what are the punishments for breaking these rules?

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 7, 2012

This reads like a class/homework assignment? Is it?

8. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 7, 2012

That doesn't mean anything to me.... what is aggressive discipline? Is that some sort of "discipline type" in an education textbook? or...? I don't even know what that entails.

In my classroom, it is rather simple. If you break a rule, you are spoken to/warned about it. If you do it a second time, you are either given a detention if its a minor issue, or kicked out if it's a disruption to the learning environment.

9. ybmiuq

ybmiuq Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

Well, there's "hit 'em up along side the head with a baseball bat.” This might include verbal abuse, guilt trips and stuff so they can't think straight anymore.

Actually that is probably going to make the student more aggressive as well.

The aggressive teacher might want to casually look in the direction of the offender a bit more often. That should work unless the kid is bad. If the kid is bad maybe move closer to the little perpetrator while teaching. If that doesn’t work you might softly say “Johnny,” but having to go to that extreme would probably mean the kid is really bad.
    An aggressive plan might be to let them sit where they want. Then the teacher gets to say something like "I don't want to have to move anyone." After that usually only one sacrificial lamb has to move.
    Also, see my reply to the Preferred Activity Time question. Good PAT time uses peer pressure.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2012

Can you explain this type of discipline? I've been in the classroom now for 7 years and never heard of this type of discipline.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2012

I think you would use the same type of discipline in a secondary Math class as you would in a secondary English or Science, etc.
    As far as aggressive I think we can all agree that none of us heard of that (and probably don't care to, lol. It doesn't sound right).

Maybe you mean strict, but used the wrong word?

12. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

I think the OP may be referring to using an authoritarian approach to discipline, which is more aggressive, as opposed to an authoritative style. Check your old ed psych textbooks.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2012

I don't want to be nitpicky, but then let's call it a name we can refer to, because obviously calling it aggressive doesn't ring a bell to anyone.