Classroom Discipline plans

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teach4kids, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Aug 11, 2007

I am also a first year teacher. My school loops 1st and 2nd grade. I am taking over the second grade class, for a teacher who is changing grades. She used something called Magic minutes last year. Where the students have a small calendar on their desk and make a tally on the day every time they are given a warning. At the end of the day you count up the tally and that is how many minutes they sit out. It seems like a good plan, but I wanted to use something different. Alll my team members told me I should use the old one because they already know it.I want to try something new. Please give me any advice you can!!!

3. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I know that it is late in the summer, but I would highly recommend reading the book: Positive Discipline in the Classroom. It combines classroom discipline with class meetings and provides an excellent foundation for problem solving and community building all in one! I am a 3rd year teacher (I taught 2 years of 1st grade and am now moving to 2nd).

4. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I think you should use your own discipline plan. Every teacher teaches differently. What works for one teacher, may not work for another. Besides the students are excited about the newness of a new school year. What has worked for you in the past? I use 1-2-3 Magic but I'm looking for something else. 1-2-3 Magic was good because students had to sit in time out for 3 minutes if I got to 3 warnings, they did not like this and so by the time I got to 2 they usually behaved better.

5. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Aug 18, 2007

I have used a few different things. I had a post it on their desk where they marked for each warning, it's like magic minutes. I didn't like it. The kids could erase their marks and they didn't take ownership. I also saw some things in internship and other field experiences I liked. One was the teacher had a row like a 10 unit labeled from A+ to F- from the bottom up. The student was given 2 warnings, after that they would have to chop a block. They could see their grade going down as they chopped the block. Every week she changed them. This for some reason has been my favorite. Another teacher I saw, used 4 circles red, blue, green then yellow. Red- was a happy face that said super on the top. Blue- was a face with a straight line for the mouth. Yellow- was a sad face and Sad written on it. Green had a sad face with a telephone on it. they would move their pen down each circle after given warnings. Another teacher used a stoplight, it's kind of the same as the one before. One teacher told me he wrote the students names on the board and erased letters, after he warned them they would have to erase letters and for each letter they would lose time to play on Friday. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to use, but if you have any more ideas or questions autumnpumpkin let me know!!!!! :)

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I agree that you have to make it your own plan. I have tried 3 different ways and I like the happy faces with the clips on them. I added a "Super Star" with a star shape to the top for kids doing extra or helping out or whatever, going the extra mile. That way there is a positive aspect to the chart as well as the consequence aspect. I added table point motivators as well. If kids get on superstar it is a candy from the penny candy jar at days end. It works well for me. I would take out the call home part though. I would rather handle my own discipline, just have some kind of time out rather than a call home for last resort.

7. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I use a colored system. I had a bulletin board that was "You're the Apple of My Eye", so I used our diecut machine to create five different colored apples for each student, with their name on a typed address label on each one. The five apples are stacked on each other and fastened to the board with a pushpin. Students start off each day with a green apple. If they break a rule/talk, I tell them to "flip" their apple and they go up to the bulletin board and take the green apple and move it to the bottom of the stack. The procedure continues with the following consequences
    Green - great and a sticker (with the back still on it)on their desk the following morning
    Yellow - lost five minutes of recess
    Red- lost ten minutes of recess
    Blue - lost all of recess
    White - lost all of recess with a phone call from teacher to parents that evening.

I know it's a little negative, but it works pretty well. I write down the changed apples each day and I use that to help me determine self control grade on our report card.

To promote positive discipline, my class is divided into six rows with each row assigned a different color. When I "catch them being good" (row ready quickly, answer questions correctly, bringing a healthy snack, passing an AR test, etc), they earn a slip for their row. At the end of the week, the row presidents count up the slips for their row and list the total on the board. We then talk about probability (most likely to win, etc) and I draw a slip from the mixed up slips in a fishbowl. The winning row goes to the Treasure Chest for a treat. The student seem to enjoy this method.

8. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I've always used the color card system (I really like the apple idea, I just used rectangle cards that I cut from construction paper and lamenated). This year I'm trying 1-2-3 Magic, it seems like it might work better for me. You could read the book (this is what I did), but they also have a movie you could watch.

9. rapper_teacher

rapper_teacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I know im not a school teacher yet but i teach 1st and 2nd graders in sunday school and what i make them do is when i feal thier misbehaving or being direspectful i make them get up from thier seats and put a mark next to their name on a chart in front of the whole class so the class see's and they realize how serious i am. I guess its a little embarrassing to the child tahst doing it but i feal it gets the point across and so far its worked, but i only use it wehn a student or class is really out of hand. After 3 marks you leave the class and go upsatirs with thier parents.

10. maemcgov

maemcgov Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I use the same color system as polgacri, but my consequences are a little different. I want the students to take ownership of their behaviors and to think about how they can correct them. I try not to make kids miss recess, since the ones who act out most tend to need those movement breaks (recess) the most. Instead, I will do the following:
    Green: great day!
    Yellow: quick 2-5 minute time out just outside of whatever activity is taking place
    Orange: 5-10 minute time out with reflection (a paper to fill out listing what choice the student made and what he/she SHOULD have done) that goes home to parents.
    Red: 5-10 minute time out followed by a call home.

11. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Great ideas maemcgov! I always disliked having those kids miss their recess not only because they needed it most, but it was a pain to keep track of who's missing and for how long. I think I will try the time-out system. Hopefully I'll remember to tell them to come in (since I tend to forget when I put someone in the hall:)). I might try a timer. This will be a change from the last ten years, but I'm excited to try it! Thanks.

12. Mr.Discipline

Mr.Discipline Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

I am a Secondary Teacher and cautious to advise elementary because many of the dynamics are different. However, certain principles are the same. Do not lose sight of what works, and become attached to a method. Lots of warnings at any level mean lots of wasted time--especially for younger students who need more immediate consequence. I think that expectations should start with 100% cooperation from students, and rewards given or consequence meted out on that basis. In other words, a student does not need a major reward for behavior that is simply conforming to a high standard. Otherwise they feel that bad behavior is somehow acceptable unless they are rewarded.

13. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 7, 2008

I have changed management systems every year. Mostly, because I moved schools and grade levels. One of my great teammates used this, I liked it, so I gave it a shot! Last year, taught first used a sport theme in my class. So, my behavior plan was around baseball. It was a clip moving system. Students start in the middle of the long chart in the dugout (ready to learn), and moved to strike one for verbal warning (two minutes recess gone), strike two (five minutes recess gone), strike three (10 min. gone- note home), benched (note home, l5 min. of recess gone, and loss of privilege (ie. computer lab, fun activity). Students could also move up, so above 'dugout' was double play, then triple play, and homerun (earned piece of candy). Students could move up and down all day. If they were on 'dugout' or above then i put a sticker on their sticker chart. When their sticker chart was full, we had a Friday lunch date. It worked well, but this year I want to have students complete a 'release form' or reflection like maemcgov's. I sent home a conduct sheet every day with where the kids were. My advice, just find what works for you. I do some class/team positive reinforcement for team building. I try not to do a lot of token rewards, really only stickers and a piece of candy.

There are a lot of great systems out there, I have used this one, color card changing (I added a gold star, something positive to work for), stop light (I added a pink light for -tickled pink fantastic above beyond behavior), card marking, penny pot, self evaluation system and classroom store. One thing I do know, is that you need a system it helps to be consistent, and fair. It helps the kids stay on track with teacher/behavior/learning expectations.

Hope this helps! :)