Classroom Decorations

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by musicbug, Jul 26, 2002.

1. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Jul 26, 2002

I'm a hopeless when it comes to creating classroom decorations. I usually use mass produced cut out letters and kits. This gets very expensive. Last year I didn't have a room of my own so I had no problem. The year before I was a school librarian so I'd come up with an idea and have each grade create the decorations to go with what ever the theme we were studying that particular month. With 4 grades each grade decorated the room twice. I have 1 board planned as a student created. Does anyone know easy tricks that can decorate the rest of the room? My art work is so poor I don't allow anyone over second grade to view it.Help!!!!:eek:

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2002

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2002

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 26, 2002

Good sites listed above.

I personally feel that creating original, breathtaking bulletin board displays is highly overrated and can become a ridiculous competition between teachers (because really, who else would care?). A neat attractive classroom is the main goal, so don't worry too much about your artwork!

I try to make bulletin boards that can remain unchanged for as long as possible. For example, I use background paper (try cloth or colorful fabric, too) and borders that can be used for the whole school year (no fall leaf borders that require changing to snowflake borders, etc.). If the display itself can be left up all year, all the better, like a birthday board, loose tooth graph, parent info board, etc.

And almost all of my boards consist of student work. I was trained that these spaces were to instill pride in students' accomplishments, and that kids want to see thier own stuff, not the teachers'. So I put my energy into great lessons and display the kids' work on the boards (often colorful projects that are so attractive I don't need to bother with a title or can use a generic title all year refering to how great the kids' work is).

I hope this is helpful. If your kids are older (sounds like they are), present the problem to them and have them design the boards. This could be a great visual-spatial lesson. If you get desperate, find an attractive poster and staple it up there overtop of colorful butcher paper. It was look great and be useful to the kids, too, especially if its educational or inspirational.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2002

If you have a white dry erase board, you can accent it with window clings. I have 2 HUGE boards in my room and I don't do writing work on my boards. I make them extendsion of my bulletin boards and but up our educational posters for circle time. I have educational window clings and then I have holiday window clings. Sometimes you can find window cling boards.

Lori

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2002

Like I said... excuse the typos.... extension. :)

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 27, 2002

9. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Jul 28, 2002

Thanks to everyone for their great ideas!!! I feel much more at ease. I have developed several student boards that will be fun for them to make and neat and creative when open house rolls around.
    Thanks!
    Kim

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

Don't forget interactive bulletin boards with pieces children can manipulate - kind of like a big center.

Photographs of students can be used nicely on BBs. Make an interesting board by attaching shoe boxes opening side out. Use them to 'frame' objects or display dioramas this way.

I keep background paper up as long as possible, then cover over it when it needs to be changed. I have tall, older students help me in the mornings. Separate large boards into sections with borders. Keep your letters organized so finding the right ones isn't time-consuming.

11. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 3, 2002

Even better than using butcher paper is using fabric. This way you never have to change it at all. You can go to WalMart and buy a bunch of great school fabrics. I bought a bunch of felt and covered on my bulletin boards in that. Last year I never changed the fabric. Just make sure you pick out colors you want to live with for a while.

Nick

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 4, 2002

Wallpaper and plastic table cloth work great for backgrounds too.