Classroom Decor for 2009-2010 school year

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

What are you going for? A certain theme? No theme? Anything new you are doing this coming year that you have not done in previous years? It's always fun to know what everyone else will be doing... :lol:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2009

This year I've been moved to a portable at the back of the school, all by itself like a little island. When it rains, the ground all around the portable floods. See where I'm going...? Our theme this year is "Aloha! Welcome to ESE Island!" We told the parents at our end of year party and they brought in all sorts of tropical decorations. Now...if I could only find a grass skirt big enough to go around the whole portable!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

That sounds great! A tropical-themed room is exciting.... especially in a place like.... Florida. :lol: (I live in Florida.)

I do a travel theme every single year, though I vary it up a bit. My most recent excitement is purchasing a $5.00 wooden table at a thrift store that I am going to decoupage on the top with travel-related photos. I also purchased a painting of a somewhat old-fashioned, distressed (but beautiful) American flag, very patriotic and a nice touch to the classroom.

5. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I am going to do a camping theme this year. I was inspired reading some of the other posts on this forum. I have set up a tent for our reading area and will have lots of instructional posters with woodland animals. I bought some vines and wildlife things to decorate with and am still looking for a fake tree or two to set up.

6. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

When you guys use themes, does it permeate through curriculum areas or just in decorations?

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

The traveling theme permeates a little because we do USA Math (travel across the country with math problems), a Read Across America bulletin board (pegging places students have visited in books), and learn a lot about states/Florida history/presidents through reading and s.s. One year, I also almost planned on sending a rock across the United States.

8. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

My room is eclectic.. I don't have a specific theme, but I went for a cozy feel. I don't have the energy to plan a theme!! :)

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

My classroom library will be nice, eclectic, and Barnes and Noble-y this coming year. The theme doesn't overtake my room. :) I like a variety...

10. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Thanks for responding. I am trying to decide i f I want to do a theme or not this year. I was thinking of doing something with "tech". I just got a grant for a smartboard. Yay! Because of the budget cuts, we won't have a tech person so I worry the kids won't get as much access to technology. If I make it a theme, we will all be reminded to use it even more. I am not sure if I am making sense.
    Oh I just realized I really have a lot to buy. I was teaching first and now moving to 4th. I need to start building my library.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2009

I am doing a racing theme. I find that choosing a theme really HELPS with idea. You are able to focus on a certain theme. Otherwise you're kind of stabbing in the dark.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I decorated my welcoming bulletin board last year with "Welcome to the jPod". :cool:

Congratulations on your Smartboard!!

13. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Thanks! I am so excited and a little overwhelmed. I am hoping I can get it set up quickly and get using it right away. I like "jPod". Did you use iPods in class? I am thinking of ways to use them and am wondering if anyone really uses them here.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Sadly, no... we don't use iPods. I wish we had them. A few do.

15. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

worth a shot. That's ok. You seem to do a lot of neat things anyway. I think I will focus on the Smartboard this year and then maybe take on podcasts next year. We'll see.

16. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Glad you are making the best of it! Sounds like it will be cute. Oriental Trading is giving 20% off plus free shipping.

17. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 26, 2009

traveler:

I'm getting each of my students an ipod this year. I also got a technology grant (and purchased a smart board with it-I also have an airliner and a set of response clickers). The ipods are I'm Prepared & Organized Daily binders (ala MOOSE binders) :D just a thought for you

18. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Nice. ha ha thanks 2inspire. Do you have others in your school with smart boards? Mine will be there first at my school. Do you already know how you will use it?
    I like the Moose folders but I didn't use them in first. I may give them another look in 4th. I like the iPod names. The kids will love them.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

We do podcasting, so the bulletin board still pertained. :)

We are going to have the Moose Binders, too, called jPods. :)

20. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

As I've mentioned in other threads, I'll once again be using ladybugs in my room. It's mainly decorations. I use red and black for accessories whenever possible. I bought lots of bins last year to go with the colors. I'm updating my tablecloths (vinyl) this year...found red & white gingham. If I can find some good material, I might make valances for the windows. Right now I just use cheap sheer panels.

I was a GS camp counselor for 4 summers, so I acquired a lot of ladybug items. They were just sitting around in my basement with no place to display them. Coming here made me think oh yeah, I can do that! So now I surround myself with my fun collection, and the kids get a fun room.

I'll be using BUGS (Being Unusually Good Students) folders this year, instead of my Learning Logs.

I love finding new lady bug items...I get excited! LOL

21. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I'm doing a sports theme. My school district is doing just baseball but I wanted to expand a little.