classroom decor - do it yourself ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kassrose, Jun 20, 2010.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 20, 2010

Hey everyone,

Being out of work and not knowing for sure where I'll be teaching next year has made me a little stir crazy. Since I don't know what grade I'll be teaching, I can't really plan lessons or anything. I've been reading lots of books and I try to keep myself busy/productive by making cheap fun things for my classroom. A few things I've made recently are:

* Days of the week clothespins/magnets for organization - I made these using my 1" button maker, then glued a set to clothespins and a set to magnets. If you don't have a button maker, you could just Mod Podge some labels to the clothespins and get creative with the magnets.
    [​IMG]

* Classroom sign - I made this sign using this technique (http://livingwithlindsay.com/2010/01/teach-me-tuesday-pencil-rubbing-design-transfers.html). The plaque is from Michaels, I made the little flower using this technique (http://www.marthastewartweddings.co...hotogallery/paper-and-fabric-flowers#slide_27).
    [​IMG]

* Gumball machine - From Craigslist, cleaned and spraypainted.
    [​IMG]

Next I think I want to try these magazine holders (http://pinkandpolkadot.blogspot.com/2008/11/recycled-magazine-holder.html) made from USPS priority rate boxes .

Anyway, those are just some fun things I've done recently, but I'm out of ideas! Does anyone have any great ideas to share? Pictures/link to tutorials would be wonderful! Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Just curious-- what will you do with the gumball machine?

Our kids aren't allowed to chew gum-- it presents HUGE problems in terms of cleanup. Even if they were, it's normally considered to be in the same class as candy, something most schools (and all orthodontists) frown on.

4. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 20, 2010

Right now it has M&Ms in it (for me) but once school starts I'm going to fill it with mini-bouncing balls, I think.

5. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 20, 2010

Great ideas! I love doing crafty things like this!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

Love your ideas - thought for the gum ball machine . .. maybe use it as part of your reward system. Students earn chances at the gumball (bouncy ball) machine. As an added incentive, place a few prize balls in that would allow the student something extra. I have seen these in Arby's I think. There is a big gum ball machine and if a certain color comes out you get a free milkshake.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Wonderful ideas!! You'll have a creative classroom.:)

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

Wow, what an awesome idea! Now I want a gum ball machine! :lol::lol: Hmmmm, going to start looking, maybe ......

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

One idea I use often is buying ribbon by the yard. I normally get enough ribbon for my entire BB for less than $3! What I like about this is that I can take it down & recycle for next time. With paper borders, that is not always the case, especially when my helpers are not careful taking it down. Any way, one thing I did this year was purchased simple black ribbon about 1" wide. I also had scrapbook paper I laminated at school & used my Cricket to do cut outs of monkeys. Next I hot glued the ribbon to my bb, & then place my monkeys (hot glue) around the simple black border as an accent. It came out great & coordinated with my alphabet that was also from the same scrapbook paper.
    I love to customize my borders according to my theme. Also saves me money.

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

I love it!! Waiting to find out what grade you'll be is so hard! What a great way to bide the time and no matter what grade, you'll need these things!

I have a gumball machine that I have skittles in. It's allowed in our school and I only let my students use it on Friday afternoon. I can regulate the amount they get out, so that helps also. :)

11. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 20, 2010

Love the ribbon idea!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2010

I'm making covers for all of my bookshelves except the ones the kids use. I found striped sheets that tie all my room colors together. I just have to hem them to size, and I'm putting button holes along the top so I can hang them with small clear Command hooks.

I want to make a new sign for outside my door. Right now I have one that I made from a small chalkboard. I really want something different, but I'm not sure what.

13. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Jun 20, 2010

Any ideas where I can find a gumball machine? I've been looking for one, but I can't seem to find one that's not totally outrageous in price.

14. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 21, 2010

Oooooh, love the idea! Think I might steal this for my open style shelves for teacher materials!!! Love that the command hooks make it temporary enough that I don't have to do anything major!

15. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jun 21, 2010

I love the ribbon idea and the gumball machine (skittles or bouncy balls would work).

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2010

LOVE the clothespin magnets.

Your link for the boxes didn't work...could you check it an repost?

17. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 21, 2010

if you can get a rocking chair or stool from freecycle you could paint it/decorate it.

some ideas:
    white with different colored polka dots
    yellow with different colored polka dots
    1 solid color
    solid color with stickers on it
    you could sew seat sacks for the back of the kids chairs
    you could make flash cards and word wall words

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 21, 2010

I would love to know too! I remember seeing one a few years ago but can't remember where.

19. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 21, 2010

20. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 21, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ribbon idea for the BB's!!!!
    I have a gum ball machine that has jelly beans, but I love the bouncy ball ideas.

What are you planning to use to day of the week clothes pins for?

21. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 21, 2010

Mine is from Craigslist, it was $50, but it's pretty big (18"). You can sometimes get smaller ones at Goodwill.

Here is a small one for $6 (http://rinovelty.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/item/ZYGUMB8/classic_gumball_bank). They are out of stock now but might be back in soon.

Medium-large (15") here (http://www.officeplayground.com/Gumball-Machine-Metal-15-P152.aspx) for $40.

Good luck!

22. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 21, 2010

I am jealous. We cannot do this at my school.

23. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 21, 2010

Curtains - Use flat twin bed sheets (@$3.00 a piece) and paint polka dots on them using round stencil brushes. I used acryllic paint and did it on my kitchen floor. It did go through just a little, but mopped right up! I hung mine from spring rods and plan to tie ribbon in the middle for an hourglass shape.

Make butter tub baskets - Use different sizes of butter tubs and cover with fabric and ribbon. No one will ever know that it's a butter tub!

It sounds like you will have a wonderful looking classroom!!!!

24. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

I have one my mother gave to my son in my hall closet. I know that doesn't help much. Just had to share.:sorry:

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 22, 2010

I am going to do a polka dot theme. Brown and blue are my colors I think. I am going to do curtains and cover my boards with the same pattern. I am just afraid that I am going to miss COLOR. I and thinking of doing multi colored dots instead. I have all kinds of ideas floating around...

26. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2010

It would be really cute to go to the lumber store or craft store and get some round wooden dots (used for trivits) and some cork board. Paint the wooden rounds what ever color you want to match and cut the cork board a bit smaller and adhere to the wooden round. Then you could have a set of matching dot mini bulletin boards for near your desk!

I did this with some old wooden apple shaped trivets someone gave me. I painted them red and put some cork board in the center.

27. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 22, 2010

Thanks for the gumball link. :thumb: