Classroom Couch?

Discussion in 'High School' started by cozzmokramer, Oct 1, 2019.

1. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

Oct 1, 2019

Anyone here have a couch in their classroom? If so, what rules or rewards system do you have in regards to who is allowed to sit on it? Thanks

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2019

I barely have room in my room for all my chairs, so I definitely don't have a couch. But even if I did have room, I don't think I would want a couch, exactly for the reasons you are asking about -- I could just foresee issues with kids fighting over it, etc. Plus...it would just get gross!

If you do want one, I would perhaps make it a reward, with a way for kids to earn a chance and maybe do like a raffle for the week.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 1, 2019

My partner teacher has two couches and several chairs. They use them as a reward and only in certain circumstances. Usually they are at chairs & tables.

5. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

Oct 1, 2019

Do you have any idea what specific rules for rewards your partner teacher uses?

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 1, 2019

Know what the rules will be before making a couch a "part of the family."

7. cozzmokramer

cozzmokramer Rookie

Oct 1, 2019

That's exactly what I'm trying to do

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 2, 2019

OP, what do you hope to achieve by adding the couch? What perks do you currently have in place as rewards? What are you planning to reward - good reading, behavior, following rules, lining up properly? How many students do you have in the class? Are they gen ed or SPED, because, trust me, that matters? Gen ed tend to understand and honor the rules, whereas SPED will not honor the rules without arguing and possibly throwing tantrums. How many minutes do you plan to allow on the couch? If not reading, what will they be doing? So much depends on how well you know your students. Have you made baby steps by including bean bag chairs, to see if you can control limited seating and watching how that works as a reward? How big is the couch, how many students will be able to sit there without getting handsy with each other? How many students are in your class? Do you envision the same select few of your students earning the right to sit on the couch, making it clear that they are "elite", and therefore, "privileged"? If so, that may not be the message you want to send. What age group are you talking about, because once they approach MS, you have to do some chaperoning, watching where hands are. Are you trying to be the "cool" teacher, are you a new teacher, or are you just trying to pattern your room after that of a colleague? If the latter, these are questions you should be asking that teacher, since some of the bugs of the system have probably been ironed out. If you are using this with younger kids, are you prepared with a washable cover when the inevitable head lice show up? (That was actually the first thing that went through my mind when you mentioned couch). Even if you dodge the lice bullet, are they allowed on the couch with snack? If so, expect ants or other bugs. Do you have the couch? Have you cleared it with admin?

Hope these questions help you zero in on why you are going down this path. I have seen couches in rooms, but I haven't seen success unless the students were able to buy in, usually in HS, the class size was small enough to assure that everyone truly got a chance to use the couch if desired, and it was a gen ed population.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 2, 2019

No, I don’t. She may draw names and allow them to choose someone to go with them. I’m not certain.

We are middle school with general ed and special ed combined. Classes are usually around 20 per class.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2019

I always had a couch ( 2 different ones at different schools) and bean bags for about 20 years. I loved them. I let kids who were finished with their work and wanted to read, sit there by a mini library. If they went to the couch, they were there to read quietly. Period.
    Also, I scan work before agreeing , "You are done." lol
    I never had a problem with it, but about 7 yrs ago bed bugs were appearing in nearby hotels ( A 1st I'd ever heard of the problem here.) Rumor had it that some kids at other schools in the district had bites. So, all of the schools had to get rid of them.
    I just remembered 1 problem I'd forgotten about. 1 yr the kids had lice and I was afraid to wash the cover at my own house, so I took it to a laundromat. Before I had always washed it at home.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 6, 2019

I think between bedbugs and lice, I can gladly keep my room, couch free! :)

a2z and Tired Teacher like this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 6, 2019

I've been itchy ever since writing the last post - even mentioning bedbugs does that to me! :p

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:01 PM

I forgot about this post, but my skin crawls when people even start talking about lice too! I am always sure I have caught them too. I usually have to see the school nurse 3-4x to be assured that nothing is crawling around on me. Yep! I am already itching!

vickilyn likes this.