Classroom color

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by skerns, Jun 5, 2009.

1. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 5, 2009

I am getting a new classroom in the fall. I teach pre-K. What color walls do you have in your classrooms> I have to submit my color picks this summer as to my preference for wall color (no guarantee they will select one). Just curious what others have in their rooms.

3. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

How fortunate that you get to pick your color! If I could choose, I'd pick a soft yellow.

4. basswife

basswife Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

You are so lucky! I've had two coral walls in my room for 2 years and I was not able to change it. I firmly believe that color affects people. If it were me, I believe I would pick a cool, calming color- light blue.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 6, 2009

The walls in all of our public schools here are white. I believe that in an early childhood setting the children's work should be the primary focus on the walls so it really doesn't matter what color they are. There is a lot of controversy about color in the classroom. There is one camp (montessori/project approach) that advocates for either white or neutral colors and then there is new brain research (can't remember name) that has found that bright colors stimulate the thinking process. The brain research doesn't specifically address wall color, just advocates for bright colors in the classroom which can be achieved other ways.
    Best of luck in your decision!

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 6, 2009

The last place I worked at I painted my walls a very pretty soft grayish green (it sounds ugly but it was beautiful). That was our learning wall. Then in the back I had bright colored curtain panels for the windows that I tied back during the day. The classroom next door (same age group) painted their back wall and learning wall a bright tangerine orange. Those kids were out of control! I don't know if it was too much stimulation or if the teachers didn't have control. But I would go with a soft color and then some bright accents. I painted my bathroom in my classroom this pale buttery yellow and it was awesome looking!

7. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 6, 2009

Here are some pics from my former classroom when I taught in Kansas. Hope this gives you an idea. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

Kase, I like your classroom! How did you get by with hanging things from the ceiling? Does your state not have fire regs. against this or do you just ignore them? :haha:

I have trouble when I go into a classroom and it's all primary colors. I went into one where the four walls were blue, yellow, red, green, and I was going crazy in about 10 minutes. Something about that just makes me feel too wired. I was in a Reggio-inspired center for two years, and our environment was all about making the center home-like. Muted colors on the wall, light-colored wooden furniture, a comfortable couch, curtains on the windows, etc. It really made an inviting classroom.

I would go for a light blue, aqua, or yellow.

9. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 6, 2009

I had everybody from Early Headstart, my boss, the Federal Review people from Early Headstart come through my room and nobody said a word to me. So I just kept doing it. HAHA I do know that here in California when I started my job I was told along with the rules not to hang too much because of the fire regs. So maybe in Kansas it's not a big thing. Who knows. No one ever told me to take them down.

10. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 6, 2009

I went to Lowe's and picked out a handful of paint cards that are pale blues or violets, I only liked one yellow. I am not real concerned with the theories behind the colors, just excited to not have to have white walls. Thanks for all your suggestions and I certainly won't be picking a real bright color, cause I get easily bored and change my themes a lot. So a neutral blue will be good. I use blue for bulletin board background 90% of the time. :). I also hang stuff from my ceiling, and no one has ever said we can't, including the fire inspector. So I am very glad for that!

Just praying the board approves one of my colors!;)

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 6, 2009

Our walls are similar to the soft yellow in the pix above. We are a classroom w/indirect light. I helps us feel awake and alive, but still calm. Without the paint the room is shady and shadow filled.

It is still calm, and fades behind the colors of the childrens' work.

12. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 6, 2009

Yeah, for the yellow in that bathroom I painted, it was when they decided the teachers had to go with colors found in the building. Well the colors were not what I wanted. They were ugly browns and tans. So then I fought and said well our building is the color yellow I want, does that count? They approved it and I got what I wanted. LOL

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2009

We have no choice in the colour of our walls--all are an off-white/cream colour.

14. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Our classroom is a Coral Orange color. It was supposed to have a calming effect on the people in the room. I'm not sure that it's doing that. :D

[​IMG]

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2009

Not sure that colour would calm me, mrgrinch09.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 7, 2009

My walls are off white. I really don't mind them. I guess I am a plain Jane. I would rather have more bulletin board space. Where I can put up any color background I want.

Mrgrinch that color sets me off lol.

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

all of our classroom walls are cream and we msot of our shelving is cream as well, things like bookcases and block shelving are either natural wood or black. We add color with our curtains, and wall decorations etc.

18. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jun 7, 2009

They came through about 2 years ago and painted all the classrooms (really needs to be done again). My is a soft yellow. I like it, but it doesn't hold up very well. Espceially with all the stapling and the likes. The bottom half is white beadboard. I would love to repaint, but I wouldn't even know where to start as far as color. I have heard so many things about color and moods. I guess I will just leave it up to the powers that be.

19. Kase

Kase Companion

Jun 7, 2009

That's kind of the color, the classroom next door to me had when I taught in Kansas except a little bit brighter and those kids were bouncing off the walls. But who knows if it's the truth because of the wall.

20. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I blame Sherwin Williams for the paint color. ;) Their website said it was a calming color.

Honestly, I don't think the color has any kind of effect on the children's mood or behavior.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

Five years ago, my classroom was renovated. I was lucky to have an interior decorator help me. She showed me colors for the walls and floor. I have soft yellow/cream walls and cream/beige flooring. It is really pretty and soothing. I don't think I could have picked such a nice combination by myself. The children's artwork brightens things up. I use blue mats for my circle and block areas where the children sit.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2009

Our classrooms have 2 wall colors; my wall colors are the soft yellow & soft light blue. The yellow is nice, and I could do without the blue. :)

23. Whitchel

Whitchel Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

My classroom was painted two summers ago, I was the assistant then, and we chose a light sea green color and the tile is light blue. Our shelves are I like it. It is bright and cheery without too much color. The center I used to work at had a nursery with deep dark primary colors on all four walls, one wall was read, one green, one yello and one blue, the babies cried all of the time I don't know if it was the color of the walls but it was something.

24. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I would go with a nice yellow.

25. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 11, 2009

I submitted a color called "bluish" from Lowe's Valspar paint samples. I like both the medium shade and the light one. Thanks for all your great ideas and support.

26. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

At the new school where I will be teaching in the fall (YAY:D), each grade level has their outside wall (with the windows and door) painted an accent color. 1st grade has light yellow, in 5th grade, we have a beachy blue, etc. It makes the rooms look so nice. I think it's great that you get to have a vote in what color to paint your room.