Classroom carpet vs. carpet squares

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msz101, Jul 12, 2016.

1. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone purchased alphabet or number carpet squares for your students to sit on instead of a classroom carpet. I'm asking this bc classroom carpets are expensive and the individual squares are much cheaper. If you've had experience with the carpet squares please let me know if it was good to have in your class.

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 12, 2016

4. sharan singh

sharan singh Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

check your local store for that,i think it would be more cheaper than number carpet , try to find it

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 12, 2016

I've heard if you go to a carpet store they give away those carpet squares for free.

Why would you buy a carpet? Admin purchases it for all the classrooms in my city.

6. teacher mama

teacher mama Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

I purchased carpet squares last year. I like them because the students can use them anywhere. They sit on them when I'm teaching a mini lesson, sit with a partner to read, use during stations, etc. Very versatile and you can stack them up when they are not in use which keeps them from getting so dirty.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2016

Carpet squares! I love them because you can rearrange them pretty much however you wish. :)

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 15, 2016

If you decide to go with carpet, find some place that sells remnants, and then have the edges bound. This works well for odd sized areas, and allows for must greater choice in texture and color. You can even include quirky things, like an L shape, etc. The carpet squares are not free here, anymore, but still reasonably priced. Depending on the type of carpet, the cost between the two may end up being fairly similar, which means it comes down to personal preference. Good luck!

9. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 18, 2016

Don't go out and buy the cheapest carpet you can find! I went to Menards and got one for $50 and it didn't even last until Christmas! I work at a small private school where funds are scarce, but all I had to do was ask and the administration purchased one for me from a school supply company. It is heavy duty and fire resistant (which is important to the fire marshal!) You might just want to ask and see...