Classroom Calendar

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Andrea L, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 8, 2005

Hello Everyone! I know that I've seen ideas on here before about how to hang up the numbers on classroom calendars, but I can't seem to locate it and I can't think of any ideas. I've already laminated my calendar to post in the classroom, but now I need to figure out and easy convenient way to take the numbers off or move them around from month to month. Sticky tack is too much of a hastle. Isn't there a way you can do it with brads or paper clips? Help! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 8, 2005

Are you using the same Calendar and numbers forthe whole year? I put velcro on the calendar and numbers since I use the same calendar and numbers for the year. I only change the months. I have been do it for many years and it works great for me. I have alos seen teachers use thumb tacks but you have holes and after a few years you need to replace your calendar... Just a few suggestions. :)

4. liz

liz Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I usually cut a small slit in the top of each number square and insert a large paper clip (part of it hangs on back of calendar). Then I can slide the calendar numbers under the paper clip. This makes it easy for the kids to change the calendar each month.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2005

I used to use velcro dots for my calendar......worked good but you need to laminate all the calendar pieces as well if you don't mind doing that. I now use a calendar pocket chart type thingy(such approrpiate terms :) ) that works great! I like it because it is easy to use and to change every month.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 8, 2005

I use fun tak to put up my calendar pieces.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 8, 2005

I never thought of using velcro. Wow. Thanks. Plus, I have velcro already!

8. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 8, 2005

Velcro is one of my best friends! In fact, I'm going to use it for my word wall. The only place I have for my word wall is wooden cabinets. Can't staple to it and I haven't found a kind of tape to work...even duct tape! So a fellow teacher shared that her sister has the same problem and is using velcro. I'm stocking up tomorrow! :D

9. Teach4U

Teach4U Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I also cut the slits in each square and place paperclips through the slits. It is so easy and the dates never fall off the calendar. :)

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 8, 2005

Thank you for your help! I actually brought my calendar and days home tonight because I didn't want to cut them out at school. I also had velcro here that I had purchased to put down on my floor, however, I hot glued it to the calendar and to the back of the numbers. It works great and looks great too. Thanks!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2005

I use sticky tac. I don't have a problem, unless I don't use enough.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 9, 2005

For places like these, I use packing tape or hot glue. Packing tape seems to work on everything except brick. Hot glue is the best for that.
    As for my calendar, I use sticky tack. I didn't have any problem last year with it. I've used the paper clips as well.

13. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 9, 2005

I have paper-punched a hole in my calendar piece and have put straight pins in my calendar ( I use a hammer for this) and just rotate the pieces for the months/patterns, etc. It has worked for many years and don't have the sticky residue from tape or the bulkiness of storing pieces with velcro on them. ;)

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2005

I got very tired of the hassles with sticking the numbers on the calendar. Now I use a laminated calendar(have even bought one at Office Depot) and I use the dry erase markers to write the daily number. When the children learn to write numbers, I let them do it. It is so convenient and nothing to store.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2005

I use stikki-clips so the numbers just slide in and out and no holes or gunk on anything.

16. dee

dee Companion

Aug 9, 2005

I also put the slits in my calendar use paper clips. One thing that helps is to tape the paper clips on the back of the calendar so that the clips do not move when you are taking the dates on and off.

17. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 9, 2005

Personally, I like the pocket chart calendars! So easy to use and it looks great!:)

18. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 10, 2005

I use the slits and paper clips too. I like the idea of taping the paper clip on. So simple, thanks for sharing.

Brenda

19. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 10, 2005

I use EZ Clips (I think that is the name).

20. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 10, 2005

I also use EZ clips for my calendar. They work great. Just slip the numbers under the tab.

21. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 11, 2005

you can't go wrong with the slits and paper clips. good idea about the tape. :thanks:

22. dee

dee Companion

Aug 11, 2005

You're welcome. We learned that tip at our EDC workshop

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

Why doesn't anyone use dry erase and have the kids actually 'WRITE' the daily number? They learn so much by writing it(or attempting to) I got very tired of putting a laminated number up each day and now use the markers. There are no pieces to laminate or store . Special days can be marked with window stickees.

24. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 11, 2005

I use stikki-clips, too - That was the easiest for me. No tape, no holes to cut... Just stick 'em on and go. Stikki clips are the ones with wax on the back. Here's a pic & description:
    http://www.dickblick.com/zz573/02/

They stick really well to a laminated calendar.

Grammy - As far as not having the kids write the number, we used the calendar shapes to create a pattern. They predicted what came next each day, and we'd chant the pattern, etc. I had them write the number for the day of school we were on and the date.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

Grammy, I like your idea of having the kids write the number, but I can't because of the reasons mentioned by Amanda, and also I need to use the number cards that are in our math curriculum.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

I see. I can use whatever I want to(curriculum) I have done the shape patterns and color patterns on the calendar in the past. I forgot about that. Last year I chose to do the patterning on paper, as in quilting. Thanks for the reminder...I will do that once in awhile this coming year...patterning on the calendar.

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

You could still do that with the dry erase.....just change colors of the pens and make AB patterns with colors. :) Then you still won't have to deal with the laminated numbers.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

That's a good idea! Thanks!