Classroom Bugs-Yuck!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sayuri, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

how do you handle classroom bugs? in hawaii we have a lot of bugs EVERYWHERE and they drive me up the wall. do you have any suggestions to deal with silverfish, termites, roaches, or ants? my friend fills her class with moth balls but i don't care for the smell. i don't want to use insect spray either.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

I'd fill out a work order for pest control. I'd do it again and again, too, as frequently as is healthy and appropriate.

If that doesn't work, you can look into getting a bug bomb or fogger. You can find them in any grocery store or discount store like Wal-Mart. They don't cost very much and are supposed to be pretty good, although I've never used one. Before doing this, though, you should make sure that it's okay to use those sorts of chemicals in your room. It might be a health hazard.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2007

I had a major problem with bugs too. We had these little pincher bugs and lots of spiders. At least once a day, I was carefully picking up the bugs and putting them outside into the bushes. It started to become a joke with us. The little bugs were our "pets" and other kinder kids would ask if they could see our "pet bugs".

I know many bugs don't like cinnamon. Maybe you could pour cinnamon around???

5. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

maybe i'll try cinnamon. how often would i need to use it? i can just imagine myself going to costco and buying a huge container of it to "dust" my room daily. :)

yes, we joke about bugs in our class too. i tell my students to leave their friends at home. they quickly catch on and joke about their friends too. sometimes the bugs even get names and placed gently outside.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2007

Roach traps work great. You buy them at Wal Mart Put them out of sight. At home I put them under my cooking stove in the kitchen.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2007

Cinnamon seems to last for a while. Do you know where the bugs are coming from? If you do, then place the cinnamon in front of the area and make like a boundry line.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2007

Borax in the corners doorways and back of cupboards is supposed to kill many bugs, including roaches.

9. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

Yuck! I sometimes sprayed for ants on Friday afternoons right before I left school, then I didn't have to worry about the fumes. You can get those traps that hescollin mentioned for roaches and also (smaller ones?) for ants. I heard that roaches don't like bay leaves. You could make a garland or a wreath out of bay leaves at Christmas time! lol!

10. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

is borax safe at school? i wasn't sure. yes, i've tried the roach bait traps before. they work for a short time. i think hawaii is just covered with roaches so they come from everywhere. if you haven't met one yet, you're lucky. they're huge and they fly!!!

i will definitely try the cinnamon and bay leaves next school year! :)

do you know what works with silverfish and termites? i think they're the worst at eating paper and other fabrics. i keep many of my book sets and art supplies in plastic bins. that seems to help a little.

11. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I think if you put it where the kids can't eat it, borax is OK.

I lived in an apartment one time that had a MAJOR roach problem when I moved in, and I didn't want them to spray because of my cat. I bought a box of laundry Boraxo (it has to be safe, because you wash with it, right?) and sprinkled in behind the couch, under bookcases, behind fridge, etc. It took a couple of weeks, but the place was totally bugless after that.

Borax has sharp edges on the little crystals of the powder that causes the exoskeleton of the insect to get sort of abraded, and the bug dehydrates to death.

Plus - if you do a unit on crystallization (like snowflakes), you do a neat crystal-growing project with your kids with Boraxo and pipe cleaners.

12. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Oh - also, they make little sticky traps that you can put down. They're good for catching roaches, and if you have the kind of problem I just had, you might even catch a mouse!

13. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Oh, except you really need to keep the sticky traps away from students. A teacher in my building had a kid who went to the corner to sit and read get stuck on a sticky trap, sort of like Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby.

14. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

One more thing - Texas roaches are numerous, huge and airborne, too! :eek:

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2007

Ewwww... flying roaches! I'm so glad I've not had to enounter those. I hate roaches. Once I stepped on one with my bare feet. I felt a crunch, looked down, and saw a huge, fat, ugly roach crawl away! *shudder* I'm so glad I don't have a roach problem at home or at school. *knock on wood* Good luck!

16. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

thank you ottermom! i love your suggestions! i will definitely try them.

17. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

I would check with the principal before using anything. The problem should really be addressed in every classroom. You are probably getting bugs from other classrooms that are using toxic things.

I would use neem. It is a plant and people brush their teeth with neem.

Follow this link and click on Neem and Termites

neem-products.com

18. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

gosh i've never heard of neem before. where can you purchase it?

19. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

My local health food stores carries a lot of the neem products. You can also find them for sale on-line. Send me a private message if you have trouble finding it on-line.
    By the way I use the neem toothpaste is really great for your gums and keeps your teeth clean naturally.

20. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Regarding insecticides, just check the label on the product. The label is the law, so if it says you can't use it around kids or pets, don't. Otherwise, follow the label EXACTLY and it will be fine around kids.

Also, a little-known fact about pesticide is that more is not better. Take boric acid (Borax), for example: it works because roaches walk through it and then lick their feet. (Roaches have suction-cupped feet, so they have to clean them a lot to keep them working properly - like when you have to lick the suction cups on kids' toys to make them stick to windows again.) If you use more of the product than is directed, roaches will be able to see it, and they'll just walk around it. If they don't walk through it, they won't lick it, and it won't work.