Classroom Blogs???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss JE, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Nov 7, 2008

Just wondering if anyone has a class blog? A parent suggested the idea to me and I think it sounds more doable than a website. If you do have a classroom blog, do you have a link you can share so I can get some ideas?

3. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 7, 2008

Our technology/reading teacher uses a blog as a format for online discussions. She uses Google blogger and posts a question or topic for the kids to answer or write about. The kids seem to enjoy it and it gives her the ability to integrate writing in technology. The following is a post she had her kids respond to - the responses were pretty intense and this was her lead in to "The Outsiders."

"We all have moments in our lives when we feel that we don't belong or that we simply don't fit in. For some, the moments pass quickly, while other's they linger for hours, days, months or years. Regardless of the amount of time dealt dealing with the emotions and feelings of isolation, we all know what that despair feels like. You may have had these emotions at school, with friends, enemies, at home, with your parent(s), siblings or like situations.

Create a paragraph describing the emotions and feelings that surround these moments. Use literary devices such as similes, metaphors, personification and hyperbole to convey your message. Provide as much detail as possible to connect to your readers without giving names or information that would give your anonymity away. In addition to your post, please respond to 2 other comments.

For this post, please post as anonymous. Print your paragraph in Word for credit along with the two additional postings to receive credit."

Another of her prompts:

"Each of us has a location that is vivid in our minds. This location is easily imagined and all the details are clear. This location may be associated with moments of joy, of fear, or sadness. These locations are usually memorable because of that emotion that is tied to it. You can close your eyes and picture each detail, the smell of the air, the colors and textures of the surroundings. Describe this location to me. Do not tell me the name of it or where it can be found. Use descriptive words to draw me in, to portray this place.

Authors do this in their writing. This is why we can create the images in our minds as we read the story. Authors use literary devices to help create the imagery. Similes, metaphors, personification, hyperboles and so forth are used to convey their message. You need to use four literary devices of your own in your description. There is not a limit to the length of your description. You will be graded on how well I can picture your memorable location. "

I would love to give you her blog address, but it is only available to her students and through her webpage and I don't feel right giving out that information. But that at least gives you some ideas. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will ask her.

4. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Nov 7, 2008

Wow that is a great idea! It sounds like she really found an effective way of using the blog - thanks for sharing!

Can you put passwords on your blog so only certain people can access it???

5. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I don't have a blog for my school, but they are usually really easy to use. This isn't my blog, but I think that this teacher has done a very nice job: http://www.upperschoolgirls.blogspot.com/

Nicole

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 7, 2008

I'm not sure you can put a password on bloggers, but the URL isn't public and she only gives out the site to her kids. She said I could give you her URL for you to look at privately. Check your message box.

7. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I have a blog where my students create the entires and we do online homework (I haven't started it yet this year --- will on Monday though!).

www.missmancini.blogspot.com

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 8, 2008

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 8, 2008

We have one at the Edublogs website... but we haven't used it since early September. Perhaps I should open it back up again. :)

10. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Nov 16, 2008