classroom/behavioral management books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heyhey, Mar 28, 2013.

1. heyhey

heyhey Rookie

Mar 28, 2013

hey all,

so, i've been accepted into the NYC teaching fellows program (have an interview with TFA next week!). I've read some good and bad things about the program, but one thing is consistent: they don't teach you much about classroom management.

So, it seems like i'm on my own to try and learn this stuff. Does anybody have any good books to recommend? i'd like to buy one soon and get a head-start on the program.

thanks for all of your help!

3. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Mar 28, 2013

The one that a lot of people on here recommend is Fred Jones Tools for Teaching. I'm a first year teacher and I have been reading it. I love it so far! It's very practical.

Other books I have been reading/using over the year...
    First Days of School - Harry Wong (was great for getting set up over the summer and prepared for Day 1)
    You Can Handle Them All - a book and an app as well. This basically goes through all of the categories sometimes students can fall into (the talker, the clown, etc..) and tries to understand them and address them.
    Dream Class: How To Transform Any Group Of Students Into The Class You've Always Wanted.

Also I would say a criticism of most teaching programs is that they don't focus on classroom management. I would definitely say I have a better understanding of how to apply the things I have read now that I actually have a classroom.

4. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Mar 28, 2013

Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 28, 2013

:yeahthat:

Also, the Responsive Classroom series....

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 28, 2013

The writer of Dream Class runs a blog that I feel is a lot more helpful than his book which is fairly vague. You can find it at http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com, and it's free. =]

Also something to look into once you've been teaching for a while is Teaching with Love and Logic. It's something I would come to however after having all the basics set in place and a fairly good control of your classroom. I can't really access it right now at my stage in development, but I plan to in the future.

7. heyhey

heyhey Rookie

Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Are their any sources out there specifically catered towards managing inner-city youth? I imagine that is a different animal altogether.