Classroom Assistant Interview Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RedStripey, Aug 13, 2013.

1. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 13, 2013

It's for a year-long position at a school nearby...general ed, first grade!! It's not a teaching position and it's part time but it seems like it would be a great fit for me!

What sort of questions do you think they will ask me? I couldn't find a more specific job description but I think I would be giving support to kids who are struggling in math or reading. I already tutor part time so I'm used to doing that. :love:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

They're going to be looking for you to be a team player, good behavior mgt, knowledge of kids development...they might ask you about how you feel being an asst when you are certified...
    Good luck!

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Good Luck!!!

I'm a TA, spent last year in Kindergarten part time.

They asked me about classroom management, being part of a ''team'' which the kindergarten teacher and I were 100%, she was wonderful and really made me feel like I was important and very much needed there!!!!

She was also there with the Principal to interview me and she asked me about curriculum--if I was familiar with it since I had subbed in Kindergarten for months and I participated in centers/group time; writing and math centers and I had a lot of experience with that age group as well. I am a former PreK teacher, I taught for 6 years :)

Keep us posted! xx

5. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Thanks guys. I felt that I interviewed really well and it seemed like the teacher and the principal both liked me yet I just got a call telling me that they went with another candidate :(

This job seemed perfect for me. Apparently I'm not even good enough for instructional aide jobs, which are the first step for most people. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so done with this.

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Ohhhh sorry to hear this.

My advice would be to Sub..either as a TA or Teacher!!!!

That's what I did when i couldn't find anything, even with ALL my experience! After only 6 weeks of subbing I got a call to interview for the Kindergarten TA job----its how I got my foot back in the door.

Just something for you to think about :)

((((HUGS)))))

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Sorry to hear this, RedSripey! It does seem impossible to tell how competitive you are as a candidate based on how well the interview seemed to go and how well your qualifications match up with the position.

I don't have any words of wisdom to share. I am new to this, and still trying to figure out how to put the horrible disappointments in perspective. I think it just stinks all the way around.

It has helped me to keep my focus on a point beyond each interview. I am set to sub in two districts this year, and much of my energy recently has gone into prepping for that. I have had three interviews so far this week, two for teaching positions, and so far I am batting 0%!

The only thing to do is keep moving forward. Refine and tighten interview answers, and keep your mind moving past the latest interview. That is the only way I am staying sane.

Good luck and keep your chin up. Your worth has nothing to do with when you get hired.
    Sheilah

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Don't be so discouraged! I know you know this but it's a tough market, especially in NJ. There are tons of certified teachers interviewing for aide jobs, so most likely, you were competing against others in the same boat as you. Positions still DO open up though - my first district hired me a week before school started and my second hired me 2 weeks into the school year! If not, subbing is always good for experience and getting your foot in the door. I didn't land a job my first year out of school and subbed!

9. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Aug 15, 2013

I'm one of those certified teachers that just accepted an aide position. I know for sure there were at least 2 other people that interviewed for this position. It is a tough market out there. My weakness was that I've been a stay at home mom the past 10 years so I had to go back as an aide as my best chance to get my foot back in the door.

Keep applying. Something will pop up, I'm sure! :)

10. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Thanks, everyone. I was really down before because it was the third rejection I received in 3 weeks. And the one job that I for sure thought I had in the bag (in my home district) didn't even call me...I found out that I didn't get the job by reading the meeting minutes :/

But I'm okay now. Just gotta keep trucking. I don't mind subbing for a year and then hopefully I can get something next year either in NJ or elsewhere :)

11. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Hey, it could be worse...I just had a former classmate call me and ask if they could have the collection of children's books and related stuffies I have been amassing the past couple of years. You know, since I wouldn't be using them.

Hang in there.
    Sheilah

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 15, 2013

Hang in there and keep subbing. Go for middle school jobs. maybe try for a special education assistant position. They really need those in middle school. Try some non-public schools. You will be working with emotionally disturbed kids but it could be a great experience. You could try subbing with Kelly Educational Staffing. They are a private agency for substitutes.

13. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

Thanks. I'm waiting to get my middle school certification for language arts...I find out if I passed the Praxis II or not on Saturday. I'm also thinking about maybe taking a few math classes to get middle school math as well. I'm already on the substitute list in a bunch of districts near my house. The subbing agency in my home state is shady and all the districts they partner with are too far away to justify working for 60 dollars a day. :mellow: And unfortunately where I live, non-public schools are harder to get a teaching job in than public schools. :(