classroom assignments for next year

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Engteach13, May 17, 2007.

1. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

May 17, 2007

How early do you know your classroom assignments for the next year? There is about a month left of school and no one in my dept has any idea but there are rumors of a big shake up. Right now I teach 11& 12th grade English. I spoke to my director and she informed me that I will not be teaching 12th grade next year and that I may need to "move". That's all. The anticipation is killing me!!! Not to mention the fact that I will have do new preparations for next year!!! :eek:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2007

We still haven't formally been invited back!! They just started year end reviews, and haven't yet gotten to my department.

We'll know tentative assignments the last week of school-- mid June around here. But inevitably, several people leave over the summer and things shift. (We had 3 women in my department have babies this winter. Any or all of them may decide to stay home in the fall.)

At this point, I've taught just about every course we offer from math 7 through Intro to Calculus. So I'll go with the flow.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 17, 2007

We have known for well over a month what we are "pencilled-in" for for next year. As Alice said, things often change over the summer--teachers move, retire or transfer, or enrollment changes force re-organization and/or change of assignments. By the last week of August (we begin right after Labour Day) we can be almost certain what our assignment will be to begin the year, but we often have re-organization during the year so never really know where we'll end up.

5. Yen

Yen Rookie

May 17, 2007

About March-ish, we start requesting different grade levels. The day I went in and asked to move to first grade next year, I was approved. I suppose we are quite informal here. Sometimes she waits a day or two before making a decision, or talks with a team about a person who has requested a move and gets their input. School is out next Friday, and everyone who is switching grade levels already knows where they're going. :)

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 17, 2007

I knew back in March that I had been asked back for next year. On the other hand we still havent heard about next years teaching assignements.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2007

Let's not forget my mid-year 2 month switch from 7th grade to Precalculus!!!

I love teaching-- you simplly never know what tomorrow will bring :)

8. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

We recieve our tentative assignments in March. I am staying put since I chair my grade level and am responsible for training new staff on our program.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2007

I'm moving from Math 7 to 9th grade Algebra.. on the long slow road back to teaching the older kids. But that's all I know. I have no idea whether I'm in both grades or just 9th, and whether it's Honors, "regular" or "below average" kids I'll be working with. (Those aren't the titles we use.)

And, of course, that's still NOW... the phone almost always rings over the summer.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2007

We finally heard were we are going. I am moving to kinder!!! Woohoo I just spent a year as the behavior teacher and well I was not cut out to be the behavior teacher because I am too nice. Plus I really wasn't teaching too much. Now I get to get my hands dirty teaching. I'm so happy!

11. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Our contracts came in the beginning of May. Assignments change up until the day before schools starts. Last year, I found out 3 days before school started that I'd be teaching a mulitage class of kinder and first graders. I figured out how to be flexible pretty quickly!

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 13, 2007

Our teachers will know by this Friday if they are coming back or not. Class placements won't be final until the week before labor day, because we're still interviewing. A lot depends on who we are able to find to fill spots. If we find a great kinder teacher, then someone who had been teaching toddlers, but requested kinder, may not get to move to kinder. On the other hand, if we find a bunch of qualified toddler teachers, then our current toddler teacher might get to move to kinder if she wants. We have to work with the strengths of who we find. Our teachers are guaranteed a position--not a certain group.

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 13, 2007

We get contracts in February. Once they are signed we turn in a grade preference sheet if we desire to switch grades. Everyone knows where they will be by March.