Classroom Arrangement

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mrs_thompson, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

How do you arrange your classrooms? In particular, how do you arrange your desks?

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

I will start out the year with groups of five. If this doesn't work out I will put them in rows. It depends on if they can handle it. Last year it really worked for my class. Later I will try the big U with some desks in the middle.

4. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I love the U shape with small rows in the middle. I like being able to see all their faces and it keeps talking temptations to a minimum. If we're going to do co-op group stuff then we push our desks together. Sometimes I'll leave them like that until they get too chatty and then it's back to the U.:)

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I will begin the year with rows. As time moves on and they show they can handle being in groups, we'll rearrange.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2008

I almost always have desks in groups--I do group work every day.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2008

I have two seater desks that I've grouped together in fours. I always start the year having the students sit in alphabetical order so that I can learn their names.

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 6, 2008

Our desks are awkward to put in groups so I do old-fashioned rows, but move them into groups and circle arrangements for activities as needed and regularly. I find my students prefer the rows. I've tried putting them two-by-two and noticed they put them back in rows naturally themselves. Again, its the side bar on the desks that make the kids feel closed in when they sit together.

This year I am going to use tape to mark the desk placement on the floor because the desks always seem to "float" to one side of the room.

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

my favorite arrangement is the U. I do all kinds of coop groups but I've built up a class supply of clipboards and groups meet around the room (mini lesson on groups around the room and chart with assigned spots (more like a map of spots so I can send groups to spot A, B...))

They like the break they get from moving to the new spot.

To start out the classroom-I'm hoping to do pairs and triplets.

XX XXX XX
    XX XXX XX

10. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Modified H. I'm trying to be closer to my students like Fred Jones suggests. Top space in the H is for my projector. Bottom space for my desk. I think I'll need less space for me and my projector. Vertical rows will be put on diagonal towards middle. Students will be in pairs and turn their chairs around for group work, or go to another place in the room. Hope it works!

11. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Try doing an E shape on the left and an inverted E on the right with an aisle down the middle. There will be an up/down row on each side with kids facing inward and then pairs of desks on the inside facing the front. It also allows for group work since they can turn seats around without moving the desks.

It helps if you have individual desks and a suitable classroom size. It gets tricky with my room. I had 29 this year so I had to leave the right side in four rows of four but I might have room in September to make the inverted E work.

I've sampled different kinds of arrangements but the more often they're facing the front, the fewer the distractions.

12. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2008

I start the year off in groups, but end the year with a U shape.

13. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

I'm trying something new this year, where they are in pairs in almost a shape almost like (. I hope it works out where they can stay in pairs. It'll make it much easier to partner off if they are already in partners. (I do a lot of partner work in my class.) We'll see how it goes.

14. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I change often depending on my mood and the student's mood - Started the year in Groups of 4 then went to 2 groups of 8, then a circle, then a square - without one side and then the last one was modified rows that were slanted and they kind of looked like stands because they were off set -I plan on starting the year off like that because they had their space and then they could just move their chair and be in groups and I still had a lot of floor space in the front do to the slant- I have a very weird shape room

15. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I changed my desks so much this past year! I started out with the students in pairs and the pairs were arranged in rows. Then I put them in groups of 5. Later on in the year, because they were not transitioning well and were wasting instructional time gabbing, I went back to pairs in rows. Throughout the year, I tried other arrangements, like a "U", but I really liked the groups or pair rows best.

16. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I won't even try explaining how often I moved desks around.

Would you believe that I also moved my room around like every 9 weeks. I've got to stop doing this!!! :help:

17. snap2blaam

snap2blaam Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I like tables

Desks always seem to move get tipped over or are so overstuffed they can't find anything. I like tables and set them four to a table sometimes five. I will have the move often during the class period beause I have experiments set in different parts of the room. Plus I don't want anyone getting comfortable and falling asleep.