Classroom Arrangement

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Olive.Owl, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I should be referencing Debbie Diller's "Spaces and Places," but alas, this book was my mentor's, and I realized the teachers here could offer just as good advice (if not better!).

I went into see my classroom this afternoon, which was very exciting, considering this will be the first classroom that is all to myself! It's pretty big, but I am unsure as to where to place a few key stations.

I teach 5th grade, so we probably won't be doing the crafts you would expect in a primary classroom, but I do want to house basic art supplies (markers, glue, colored pencils, etc.), paper (lined, scrap, construction, etc.), dry erase markers, highlighters, extra/unsharpened pencils, etc. What do you suggest that allows students to easily access these supplies? I do have some empty counter space, and I was debating putting some plastic totes on top filled with the supplies, or getting one of these storage cubes and filling each space with the supplies in a box or tub.

Also, my room must have intentionally been a primary room, or some shorter workers must have constructed this room, because everything is of short stature! Our cubby/backpack rack is miniscule (I cannot imagine 22 backpacks hanging on it), and even the cubby spaces seem small. Should I need extra space for backpacks, where should I put them so they are not in the way? I don't like the idea of backpacks being in proximity to students, because they could serve as a distraction, and I am very prone to tripping over them. Continuing the small-ness of things, I feel like my board is SO low on the wall. I might have to sit in a beanbag to write on the board comfortably, lol. This is the only time I am cursing my tall height.

Finally, I was given a furniture request form. So far I have the essentials - student desks and chairs, kidney table for my small groups, two bookshelves, and a long table. I am keeping my teacher's desk in my office, since one was provided, and I really don't have much need for it anyhow. Should I request anything else? I am thinking about requesting a round or trap table for centers/stations, but that's all I can think of. For some reason I feel like I need more. (Greedy, greedy!)

If I am forgetting anything else, classroom arrangement wise, please chirp in! I'm trying to have a general idea of where I need/want things to go before I go in and put myself to work. Thanks! :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

Your room arrangement may depend upon how you will teach. For example, will you be using a writer's workshop? If so, I would arrange the office supplies in that area. I have some of those little carts with drawers to hold supplies.
    Do you have a smartboard? If that is the case you would want to group student desks so that they can all see and you can see all of them
    Will you be doing project and cooperative group activities? You may want to place desks in small groups.
    Even 5th graders like comfortable seating to read so you may want to provide a nice nook in your reading area.
    Just some quick ideas.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

File cabinet?

5. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

@Swan - I like the idea of the carts with drawers! I think I have seen them before...multi-colored drawers I believe? I am definitely putting my students in groups because I use a lot of cooperative learning. Sadly, I do not have a smartboard, but I am planning on a desk arrangement in which all students can see the whiteboard when there is a direct teach, student model, etc.

@Agdamity - I don't know how, but a filing cabinet totally slipped my mind, and I DEFINITELY know I will need one. That is going to the top of my list! Thank you!

6. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

Definetly a file cabinet.
    Bookshelves for student library and curriculum.
    I have all the art supplies and games stored in a cabinet, since I am in a portable with no built in storage.
    You can buy wire storage cubes for backpacks.