Classroom appliances

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Rabbitt, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 5, 2012

I also have a mini laminator because our school laminator broke a few years ago and its a hassle to go to the one at the district office.

Since I have tile floors, I have a broom, dustpan, and swiffer wetjet. :D

2. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jul 5, 2012

Wow. Is it at all common for teachers not to be offered health insurance? (Or maybe you were offered but couldn't afford it?)

I know that is not the topic of this thread, but how is this even possible?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

They cracked down on this last year because of energy costs. First they made us take out appliances from our rooms, which I totally understand. Then they made us take them from the planning rooms in each hall and said we could only have them in two locations, one on each floor. This became a huge pain. I used to like to grab a squeeze yogurt or a cheese stick between classes and I couldn't do that anymore. It also meant we had to go way down the hall for coffee, which is problematic for the people in my hall who really need a few cups in the morning.

However, the microwave and then the fridge mysteriously got plugged back in across the hall the second half of the year. lol. I don't see the big deal with the microwave or a coffee pot, as long as people unplug it when they are done. They can't use a huge amount of energy. I would REALLY like to bring in my hot shot for tea and soup - I just can't get water hot enough in the micro.

4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

All plug in appliances in school have to be PAT tested for safety every 12 months and carry a sticker. If we need to bring anything in from home it must be tested by the janitors before it can be used. No-one seems to worry about the energy costs of running appliances. Just the H&S.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2012

I'm VERY jealous that you can even give your kids hot cocoa or tea AND that you have a phone in your classroom!!

If I had a fridge, microwave, phone, and could give my kids hot chocolate- I'd be in heaven!! But then again, I'd certainly trade it all for air conditioning (which I do have). ;)

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

District policy: Not allowed to have fridge, micro, coffee pot, Keurig, plants, curtains... I'd kill to have a Keurig so I don't have to lug my tea thermos with me every morning.

Can get away with lamps, radio, fan.

We're in a brand-new building... the policy has to do with power costs.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

I've thought about getting a vacuum. That way I could reward kids for good behavior by letting them vacuum the classroom during recess.

Gotta love first grade!!!

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

A few must-haves for me are amplified speakers for my computer. I need to crank loud music if I want to get any work done.

9. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jul 5, 2012

I had no idea personal appliances could be an issue at some schools. When I had no appliances, I found myself going off campus pretty regularly.

Since I have brought in a frig, microwave, and coffee maker, I find I am much more productive, as I rarely leave campus and basically work through my lunch time - my choice.

My son works for a high tech firm. They have free breakfast, lunch, and dinner catered for all employees. They know workers are much more productive when they don't have to interrupt their work. They even have a service to pick up dry cleaning and run errands for workers.

I agree with Sarge, some of the rules people have posted seem inappropriately intrusive. I have a school laptop, but the school wifi is locked. I bring my personal iPad (w/3G service to circumvent school wifi) and of course I sometimes charge it. If I want to check my email or read the latest on CNN during my lunch, why should my district care? I also bring my cell phone. I wouldn't want to work any place where my kids couldn't reach me.

10. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jul 5, 2012

Sorry to hear this, your work conditions sound brutal.

One thing that does surprise me is the number of teachers who supply food or drinks to their students. This is strictly forbidden at my school - no class parties, no potlucks, no cupcakes for birthdays, no special treats, nada.

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 5, 2012

We can't have fridges, microwaves, anything like that. There is a fridge + microwave + coffee maker in the lounge.

I do have a fridge in my room - it was there when I was hired and I was told to use it until I get caught. Everyone on the hall knows about it, so I dunno. :whistle:

Safety dept won't let us have anything plugged in - Scentsy, air fresheners, fans, etc. I do have a fan b/c my a/c went out several times last year and there are no windows in our rooms. No one seems to mind.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

I don't believe that there's a policy against it, but none of our teachers do. Mostly because we're a small school (faculty of 10). We have a section of the fridge in the kitchen that we can use, along with a microwave. There is another microwave and a hot pot in the work room. In addition, a couple years ago we were able to get two mini-fridges, and we put one in a central location in each hallway. So, there are 5 teachers sharing each appliance, and everybody keeps them very clean.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2012

We have central air & heat, and the thermostat has a (now mysteriously broken :) ) locked plastic box around it. Never ever do that to a woman who power surges.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I have a small laminator as well, but I tend to keep it at home. My dear hubby often does my laminating / cutting out for me. Yes, I know I am truly blessed! (Besides, I would laminate the kids if I could :) )

Our librarian has a Keurig, and most of the other teachers are jealous, lol.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Those locked boxes are mysteriously broken in every school I've been in! Honestly, I don't think I've seen a single one intact.

16. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 5, 2012

I am sorry to hear about all of these limitations! I am feeling blessed. We all have a frig, microwave, printer, any appliance, charge whatever. Hope my P doesn't go on this forum! :)

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 5, 2012

Since we're talking appliances, I walked into my room today and discovered that the broken AC is still torn apart, and one of the working ones is missing. There's just a hole in the wall with a piece of plastic halfway taped on it. We have 3 hotel type AC units in our room and it takes all 3 to keep it cool. It was so hot in there today. :( Hoping they get it fixed.

18. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2012

I get what you're saying, and I'm sure it's annoying to have someone act like this, but I was a little offended by the question "Don't you have a custodian?" I keep a broom & dustpan in my room. My kids use it to clean up after themselves, and then, after school and before the custodian comes in I spot sweep the floor- especially if it's been an extra messy day! I think it's common courtesy not to leave the room a big mess just because we have someone whose job it is to clean up. Sorry if I read the question wrong- maybe the poster was genuinely curious about whether or not you have a custodian, but this struck a nerve with me because I've had teachers come in while I'm spot sweeping and say things like, "Why are you doing THAT? We have a custodian and that's his job. I'm not going to sweep." I don't do it because I think I'm the only one who can do it correctly- I do it because I want to show respect for someone who I believe has a tough job. Respect that I see returned when I ask him to fix something that may not be in his job description but I'm not very good at, btw...Also out of simple respect for another human being.

One of the most touching things I've witnessed was my principal cleaning up vomit. The custodian was away from the building on school business and I didn't realize it and called the office about the incident, then took my kiddos to another room because it was a big mess and very smelly. When I went back to the room to see if the mess had been cleaned up yet, through the window I saw the principal cleaning it up. He never mentioned it and I didn't let him know I saw him, but that single act gave me a lot of respect for him as a person. :wub:

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 5, 2012

I try hard to make my janitors' job easier...not because I don't think they can't do it, but because I respect them. She does it to belittle them. She is one of those people who insults you while calling you "sweety" or "honey." I always feel for the knife in my back when she is around.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

As of this year, we are not allowed to have coffee makers, microwaves or refrigerators in our classrooms. Those items will be in the lounge, we are told.
    Our building will have heat and central air-and a thermostat in our room that we can control.
    The district supplies us with a laptop, and we are encouraged to use it! :)
    No plug in air fresheners or candle warmers this year either. :(

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

We are not allowed to have any personal appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, etc.), A/C units, heaters, and extra lighting of any kind (desk lamps, regular lamps, etc.). We are allowed to bring in fans, though, because our school is not air conditioned and can reach 100+ degrees.

I have never actually seen a classroom that contains appliances. I hadn't heard of such a thing until I started coming on these boards. I guess I don't really understand why you would need those things, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to eat frequently, or your school does not have a lounge. My room is just so small that I don't think I could justify taking up valuable counter space for my own mini kitchen.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

Same.

23. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jul 6, 2012

:thumb: And my AC works, too :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.