Classroom appliances

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Rabbitt, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2012

Another post made we wonder about your school policy on classroom appliances. We are not allowed to have refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, heaters, window air conditioners, croc pots, and such in our classrooms. None of these things are in the lounge either. I know teachers who were asked not to charge phones, computers, and cameras at school.

What is your policy? Are there fees?

I personally think our policies are over the top.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

No personal appliances other than a few who have fridges for medical reasons (maybe 2 teachers in my building ). Fans are technically not allowed but the P looks the other way as classroom temps can go above 90 degrees in some classrooms since we have no AC...but the main office does...:dizzy:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I posted before, but we are not allowed any appliances in our rooms. I used to be able to have a coffee maker and a kettle in my office, because it isn't regarded as a room with "student-use", but they were taken out of all rooms but the staff room about a year and a half ago because of insurance reasons. There is no problem with charging cameras, etc. Every classroom and office has at least one floor fan that has been provided by the school.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 3, 2012

no appliances. no fans, no space heaters.

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

We aren't allowed to have any personal appliances anymore either. We aren't supposed to have our personal laptops in the buildings. We've even been told that we can't have personal CD players in our rooms.

We do have a fan for each classroom, and haven't been told not to charge electronics. Our lounge has a fridge and microwaves, as does the office.

We have AC, but they won't turn it on until they're sure the temp won't dip, so there are usually a couple of hot weeks without air. Of course, our office has AC on a different system, so theirs is turned on whenever needed. ;)

7. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

We don't have any restrictions on having appliances in our class room or charging things. We also have all those appliances in our teacher's lounge. The majority of my co-workers have a refrigerator and microwave in their room. Students sometimes ask to use both. I don't mind I just always do it for them. Some teachers have a coffee pot. I don't drink coffee and don't care for the smell. However, I have made hot chocolate for my first period before. We sometimes bring a croc pot depending on what we're eating. I also have a small fan that I have to use every now and then when I get a flash.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

We are only allowed appliances in the staff room. But we can have our computers and cameras if we are using them with the students. We also have our school computers that get charged in the classroom.

Our superintendent stated this is one way that they are trying to save money.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 3, 2012

No restrictions at all. I think kindergarten could make a case for having a fridge and crockpot and hot plate in the room, we use them to cook things all the time.

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

We are allowed to use and charge our personal laptops. Some teachers have had their phone charging, but we aren't allowed to be seen with it. Especially if students are around.

I didn't know of any policies, since they aren't written in our handbook. My second year at my school I took a personal fridge and was asked to take it home. Our p didn't see a reason for me to have it. I hate leaving things in the lounge, they tend to walk off. Ever since then the only thing that I take is my laptop and a radio, which hasn't been a problem yet.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2012

I have a fridge. Our principal said we should have a few perks, so he doesn't say anything about it. I've had a microwave in the past, but I really didn't use it. I've taken in fans when my air has been out, but that's not often, thank goodness.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

We have no restrictions.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

I would imagine in a lot of cases it's because the wiring old, not necessarily to save money. I've found the newer the building, the more flexibility they give you.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 3, 2012

There was one school year that we weren't allowed to have any appliances in our classrooms. However, the teachers' union made a HUGE stink about it. Therefore, the next school year, the district (once again) allowed us to have our own appliances in our rooms. There are many teachers who have a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, etc.

Like I mentioned in another thread--if I need to borrow a microwave to heat up my lunch or if my class is having a popcorn party, I'll use my neighbor's!

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

I have to say, I think it's a little much for many teachers to have a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in their rooms...

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 3, 2012

adding, certain subjects are allowed to have certain items. I have a mini fridge in my room that is used for supplies only. We have hotplates in the storage room if needed for labs. Of course our culinary class has everything.

17. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

We can have refrigerators if we pay a fee to have them. I don't know if it's a one time fee or annual fee. We are not supposed to have coffee pots in our rooms but I see many of them when I'm walking down the halls and teachers put them up when the bell rings. I bought a mini crock pot towards the end of the year to use but was never told that I couldn't have it.

18. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 3, 2012

We can have refrigerators and microwaves in our rooms. We also have them in our longe along with a coffe pot, toaster over, and toaster. When we do pitch ins we bring in roasters and crock pots.

19. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

we are not allowed to have electronics but many do! When I ask we are told the rule about them being not allowed but then told but no one is going to police it.

I do not have anything in my room - I just go down to the lounge.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2012

I can see a no electric appliance rule, especially with regard to refrigerators. Even the tiny ones can suck a lot of energy if they are old and inefficient. The problem with other cooking appliances is that there's really no way to ensure that everything teachers bring in is in good condition and not a fire hazard. I have a toaster at home that my wife won't let me use unless I'm standing there, ready to unplug it. I don't think it would be very safe to have that in my classroom. Accidentally burning my school down is tops on the list embarrassing things I try to avoid.

BUT CHARGING YOUR CELL PHONE DOES NOT CREATE ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS. A SCHOOL OR DISTRICT THAT DOESN'T LET YOU CHARGE PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT INTO THE 20TH CENTURY!!!!!

THIS IS NOT NORTH KOREA, SYRIA, IRAN, OR LOUISIANA!!!!

I could not work at a school like this. I'm constantly recharging stuff. In addition to my phone, I have a number of bike lights that recharge or run on rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. IF I DON'T RECHARGE THEM AND THEY GO DEAD, I MIGHT GET HIT BY A CAR ON THE WAY HOME. Of course, if my bike lights went dead, I could just call my wife and have her come and get me. Oh, wait. MY #$%& SCHOOL DOESN'T LET ME CHARGE MY PHONE EITHER!!!! If I worked at your school, I would run the risk of having a very dangerous journey home due to a very stupid and moronic policy.

That's very nice of him. But is sucks bongwater that your principal has to "look the other way" to avoid violating OSHA regulations.

I really want to know the justification for these idiotic, brainless policies. TEACHERS ARE ADULTS!!!! If we need to bring a phone, a laptop, or their own CD player, we have a reason. It may or not be an educational reason, but as an adult, I still have a right to have personal things with me when I come to work. Maybe I want to take my laptop to Starbucks after school and play Angry Birds. Or enter grades. But it's my business, and if it doesn't affect my job, I have a right to do it. Period. And if my school district thinks there is a legitimate reason, then they have an obligation tell me, and that reason better be correct and based on actual science and not what the principal learned in a computer class in 1987.

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 3, 2012

We are allowed one fan, a radio/boombox, and one lamp. Science has fridges for supplies. Faculty room has vending machines, fridge, single serve coffee maker (the kind where you put in a little plastic container and it makes the tea/coffee/cocoa that is in the container), microwaves. I also have an air purifier - building is old, dirty, dusty. Some teachers have the candle warmers - no plug-in air fresheners allowed - but they hide them. Our building can barely handle the electric load the computers/technology create. Nothing ever said about not charging phones/ipods, etc. We can bring our own laptops - no restrictions.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

I have a very short lunch break and a room that is very far from the lounge. Therefore I keep my lunch in my fridge and warm it using my microwave. I do also keep film in there as well, and snacks for club meetings. I share with my husband.

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I didn't know schools restricted appliances. The classrooms I've been in have had refrigerators, water boilers, coffee pots, etc. One teacher even had a restaurant size water boiler to make hot chocolate for all of her kids.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 4, 2012

:lol: I love it! We don't have. Any restrictions. I have several in my room. I don't use most of them during the day, but they are nice to have close.

25. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2012

We don't have any restrictions.

I think it's crazy that some of you can't charge phones and laptops.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 4, 2012

I have a fridge and a microwave. We have a full sized fridge and 4 microwaves in the lounge but I'll starve before I use them. Food from the fridge has walked away and/or been tampered with:dizzy::mad:. The microwaves and fridge in the lounge are also filthy, because I work with what can only be described as the most disgusting group of slobs alive. You wouldn't know it to meet them, they put on a good front, but open one of those microwaves and you will see the fried up remains of hundreds of meals stuck to the walls and ceilings. I mean really? You can't clean your own mess?!?!?! Would you just close the microwave at home with that exploded mess still in it?!??! I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT!!!:eek::confused::eek::confused: Wow, sorry I guess I have a few strong feelings there. :blush:

A few years back the district tried to charge us $10 for the microwave and $50 for the mini fridge per year, but didn't enforce it. The next year there was no mention of it. We have been told not to have coffee pots but I know at least two teachers (husband and wife lol) who have them in their rooms.

27. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I'm unaware of any restrictions in my previous building. I charged my phone at school frequently and had a coffee pot in my room- I didn't give either of those two things a 2nd thought. I am SO not a morning person and never get up on time to make the coffee at home, so I started keeping all of my coffee stuff at school to just make it there in the mornings since we had to get there 30 minutes before students anyway. We had school provided laptops, so there was really no reason to bring/charge a personal laptop. I don't know that anyone had a microwave or fridge, but we had many provided by the school so there was really no reason to have one. If you wanted one, I'm sure you could have brought it in. We had 2 microwaves and two fridges downstairs in the staff lounge. Many of the classrooms were up on the 2nd floor, so they also put in a fridge and two microwaves in our copy room up there so that people who wanted to eat in their rooms/work through lunch could quickly get their stuff. I didn't particularly like that part b/c it further encouraged people to just grab their food and go work by themselves in their rooms rather than being social/eating in the lounge. I had a group to eat with my first year but last year they were gone or had totally different lunch times than me. I am hoping my new staff is more social.

28. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 4, 2012

I have a small fridge in my room. Sometimes kids ask to put stuff in it and if there's room I let them. I have a small fan by my desk and a bigger fan in the front/back of the room (it gets moved around quite a bit). My ac has two basic temperatures: scorching hot or arctic (however, we are getting new heat and air next year and I'm excited).

We are allowed to bring pretty much anything we want.

There are two microwaves and a fridge in the teachers' lounge but like the poster above, I would never use either because they are disgustingly dirty. The fridge has an odor so foul that it could make you throw up. I'll stick to sandwiches and my little itty bitty fridge.

29. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2012

I agree with you Sarge.
    There are two things that are in control of our district (and easily changeable) that I dislike:
    the tight calendar
    no appliances rule

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 4, 2012

I have never looked into this. I had a fan running through June because the AC in my room broke. I don't have a need/space for a microwave or fridge.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

I didn't say I thought teachers shouldn't have appliances...I just think it would be nice if teachers share. That's what I meant by saying it's silly for "many" teachers to have the appliances. I can absolutely understand schools not approving five fridges in one hall.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  32. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 4, 2012

We're not allowed to have any appliances in our rooms (or plants, extra furniture, curtains, or pets for that matter), but in the past couple years we have been allowed to have a small Christmas tree as long as we post the appropriate safety paperwork for the tree and lights and turn it all off every time we are out of the room. :rolleyes: We also cannot use extension cords of any kind...only the surge protectors provided by the county.

We've never been told not to charge our phones, though, and I do it regularly. We do have a microwave and fridge in our "lounge," but a request for a coffee maker was frowned upon...

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2012

We have no restrictions, and haven't had at any of the several schools at which I have student taught, substitute taught, or taught. I have a fridge & microwave, and in the winter I bring a hot pot that I use for making hot tea or hot cocoa for my kiddos. I have a small crock pot that I hadn't thought about bringing, but its a great idea! I bring my personal laptop and use it as my teacher computer - I'd love to see the district try to take it from me, lol. Our classroom phones are a joke and don't work more than 1/2 the time, so I end up using my personal cell phone to make parent calls more often than not. I charge it daily at work. I've never had a parent abuse the fact that they had my number, and I've never had admin complain about my electronics.

Oh, and I also have a "boom box" that I use for my listening center and two tiny "personal" fans that I use when I power surge. ALL of my electronics (and those that belong to the district as well) are on GOOD surge suppressors that I bought to ensure that they were taken care of!

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2012

Any teacher who needs to can use my microwave or hot pot, and if there is room, they can store stuff in my fridge as well. All of my appliances have been purchased within the past 5 years, and I ensure that they are kept in VERY good repair, unlike the umpteen year old fridge & microwave in the teacher's lounge....

35. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 4, 2012

The other 6th grade teacher doesn't have any appliances, so she stores and heats her food in my room. We eat lunch in my room as well so it kind of works out. I think 3 or 4 of the 6 teachers in my area have at least one if not both fridge and microwave.

36. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 4, 2012

I have a fridge...a hot plate that is in my cabinet that I only use for science projects...a fan...stereo...and a scentsy. My children attend school in my district, so the fridge is nice because I have snacks and drinks for them.

The teacher down the hall has a fridge, microwave, coffee pot, and a vaccum. She has her own laminator.

37. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 4, 2012

My district was unrestricted for years. Then, a few years ago, made a blanket decision to remove ALL teacher appliances as an energy/budget saving move. A couple teachers had full size fridges in their classrooms. The expectation was that 1 micro and 1 full sized fridge would suffice for 50+ staff. Several more vocal teachers went to the board and complained, so the policy was revised to 1 per department or grade level.

38. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 4, 2012

All I know about our policy is that we are not supposed to have fans. However, two years ago my classroom reached over 100 degrees and I literally passed out at school- before 10 am. They forced me to get ambulanced to the hospital despite my pleas (I have no health insurance and knew I could not afford the emergency room bill). The doctor who checked me over was appalled that I had to work without air conditioning- I'd like to know what schools he went to that DID have it!! He told me to tell my principal that I MUST have fans in the room, doctors orders. Since then, I have had two fans and the few times people have said anything about it I have told them the fainting story. Enough said.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

That's crazy! And poor kids, too!

40. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

She has her own vacuum? Do you guys not have a custodian? :confused:

41. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 4, 2012

Yes we have two wonderful custodians in our building. She is just the type that constantly tells others how she can do things better...even using a vaccum. She had her own older large -- very large copier for a while. The maintaince crew threw it out last summer. She was hot, but it didn't work and she was constantly trying to get the copier repair guys to fix it. Even after the principal said no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.