Classcraft

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2015

Has anyone tried this management program? A teacher friend likes my class dojo but wants something more mature for his HS students. I think the HS kids would like dojo. We found classcraft online and are wondering if it's a good option.

3. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 5, 2015

I don't have anything to add, but I was *just* searching the forum for any threads about Classcraft. Weird. I was thinking about trying it with my 6th graders this year. I'd love to hear anything about it too.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

I signed up but thought it looked like it would be too complicated for my kids. At least, too complicated for both me and them to figure out at the start of a year when everything is new. I feel like Class Dojo is a lot more straight forward. However, the Classcraft website looked like it could be a lot of fun!

5. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Sep 7, 2015

I have used both (Dojo and Craft)and offered PD on both. I know of MS and HS teachers who use ClassCraft and they report that the kids seem to like it. I used Dojo through 8th grade and saw improvements in behaviors, missing work and other typical classroom behaviors.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2015

Looks cool, but honestly, I don't like systems like this (like this or ClassDojo). They just seem too gimmicky and seem to only motivate kids if they're just working to get points on a game rather than for learning.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 7, 2015

I think it depends on how you're using it. When I used ClassDojo, my prize was super small - a sticker if you got 10 points. What I did use it for, though, was to provide real data to parents. I was able to say, "Last month, Tommy got 8 points for participating, which is great! However, he also got -6 points for not raising his hand. This is an area we'll continue to work on." I found it more concrete than saying things like "he talks a lot in class" at parent conferences.

However, if you have a low tech classroom like I do now, it seems like more trouble than it is worth to implement. It worked well when I had a SmartBoard.

8. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Aug 15, 2017

I used classdojo with middle-school and parents liked the communications aspect of it. The interest in rewards for behavior among many students wore off about the middle of the year. So I think that's the case with most behavior award systems, but as a tool where you can send every parent a text every day about what the homework is, and those interested can check their kid's progress, it's great. I am thinking about trying out class craft instead as it seems to offer more for the kids to do with their own character. Other than to modify their avatar a little, there isn't much reason for kids to keep checking their personal Dojo account. Anybody have experience with class craft with middle school, and how does it work as far as a record keeping and parent communication tool?