class work

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jd123, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Nov 23, 2013

Suggestions please on setting a time limit to finish class work. On the one hand, work needs to be completed. On the other hand, I need to set a time limit and make sure I get the work back. I was telling student to put unfinished in their desks in a "to be completed" folder. Ideally, when students finished early with other work, they would go back and complete whatever was in that folder and turn it in. That is not working. My AP suggested I set a time limit, then collect work. Still, some students just don't finish their work. I'm having a challenge finding time to get these unfinished items back to students to get completed. I don't feel like I should hand work back to students to take home if it's unfinished. I also want to be sure students are understanding the work.
    My questions are:
    Do I hand back unfinished work to go home?
    Do I need to re-evaluate and improve my time management (I'm sure I do!)
    Thanks!

3. live

live Companion

Nov 23, 2013

If it's something that happens consistently, then you might need to revaluate what you're expecting students to do within a certain time frame. Maybe you need to give more time, or maybe you need to make some reductions in assignment length. That's for you to decide, and it sounds like you've already been reflecting on that.

For me, it depends on the assignment and the students.

1. If it is because it's a lengthy assignment or I misjudged how much time it will take, I will give them more time (either the same day or next day). They put it in their desk folder and I'll tell them when to take it out to work on it some more. If I want them to work on it whenever they have time, I tell them to move their assignment to the corner of their desk. I find that they forget about it unless it's right there in front of them. Then I will later collect the assignment and make a list of students who need more time to finish (then I'll decide if they'll finish as homework or at some point the next day).

2. If it is because they are genuinely struggling to understand or accomplish the task, I will intervene by reteaching, modeling, providing more guided practice, restructuring, or simply rephrasing instructions...whatever it may be to help them be successful. A students' pace while working independently can sometimes tell you something about their understanding.

3. If they are unfocused or off task, I have them finish it as homework (however, sometimes this behavior goes hand-in-hand with their level of understanding, which I take into consideration). If it's not something they can finish at home, I have them finish it during recess. Some will chose to come in during recess on their own. This is especially true when I tell them that they will lose points for unfinished work, and show them what those missing points.

4. I often use a timer and teach time management to the students. Sometimes they don't know time limits are a big deal unless you make it important. This is all while keeping in mind quality of work, which I also emphasize.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 24, 2013

I don't have them take it home because then often it's not done by them-especially if it's something I'm going to grade.

This probably won't help you because I know it's a different way to do things, but typically I have them doing independent work and then going into workstations-both for reading and for math, so the ones who need extra time do get it. I have a few students that I have to stay on top of and make sure they stay focused.

Using a timer doesn't work for this group-they spend a majority of their time looking at the timer, asking how many minutes they have left and counting down instead of actually working. I could see how it would work with some students.

5. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Nov 24, 2013

Oh those timers! Mine do the same thing. My AP wants me to use an online timer, but my most of my kids get so distracted and watch the timer count down. I was hoping they'd get use to it and it would simply become part of the background.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2013

If a student has a lot of unfinished work I will send it home as homework. This year what I have done in addition is have students work on pending unfinished work during fun-time Friday. If they have two or more items to be worked on they must finish first before participating in fun-time Friday. I usually always have a couple of kids who have a few things to finish but end up finishing, with time to participate in free time.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2013

Some kids just aren't going to finish every single thing in primary. What I do:
    Unfinished work goes in a large pocket chart on the wall. Each student has a pocket. I can see the pockets from my table, so if a child has moved onto choice time and I'm working with a group, I can send them back to finish stuff up if necessary.

Depending on how full our pockets are, I'll throw in "unfinished work" time a few times a week. Kids who are done with everything can read, write, do learning games on the computer, and occasionally do blocks/legos/games/etc.

Once every few weeks I clean out the folders of my slowpokes. Some of my kids are just reallly slow workers. If they aren't goofing off but still can't get everything done, I don't want to punish them.... I have them finish up anything I'm taking a grade on (I usually do 2 grades per subject per week, and in math/rdg one of those is performance in small group) and toss anything else.

8. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 9, 2014

Nanny, I love that idea!

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2014

I tend to set times if I think it is reasonable to set times for the whole class. Anything which I believe half my class will do with ease and half will struggle with I give an open amount of time. I also have independent workshop that the children who are done are trained to move to when done.

If a child is messing around and trying to avoid the work, I will move them to the next work and have them finish their work at a less favored time or I give them the choice do the work or finish it during recess.

If a child is struggling and trying their best I will give them support when needed and have the child stop the work when I think it is more important to move on to new things or the child is getting frustrated in a way which will not help the child.