Class will NOT say a word

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

I never thought this would be a problem, but my geography class of 13 students is literally comatose. I have 3 students that will talk during our lecture/discussion times and they usually dominate the discussion. This is because every time I call on one of the quieter students, they won't talk. If they do, it's a meek couple of words.

I'm not that frightening or intimidating of a person, and I don't see how they can still be shocked or scared two months into the school year. I really don't know what to do. They give me that blank look on their faces like I'm from Mars. I'm convinced that if I do headstands or jumping jacks it couldn't spark any life in this group.

I'm going to try a short game tomorrow and see if that breaks the ice, but I'm not too hopeful about it. Thoughts?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 8, 2008

One year I had a class that was like that all year. They seemed to have a good year . . . they just never DID anything other than the assigned work. It was a little weird. I suppose it was just the mix of kids. They were really good kids that just preferred to keep to themselves.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

They're just practicing for college.

5. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

I wish I had that problem in my class! ;-)

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 8, 2008

I had a class like that one year. I think they would have been happier if I had simply put a pile of worksheets on their desks in the morning and left them alone for the remainder of the day.

I tried and tried and tried different types of activities, but it was very frustrating. Finally, I decided that I just had to "coach the team I've got". I made my lessons very low key and focused on the essentials.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 9, 2008

Wow... to have a class that won't talk! A dream!

Nah, I understand what you mean. You want them to talk and interact. Who knows. I guess no talking at all beats talking at the wrong time.

Maybe they will get motivated and start to feel more comfortable in your class.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2008

I have that problem this year. I pull sticks with names on them sometimes to get them active, and also let them know that sometimes I may call on anyone (and they can "phone a friend" or call on someone else in the room for help if they need it). I also sometimes ask questions, and tell them to tell their neighbor their answer, and have them share their combined answer.

9. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Oct 9, 2008

Ah! At least I'm not the ONLY one with this problem. My 3rd period class is super quiet, and only about 5 people out of 34 participate. I am NOT complaining that they are quiet. Its more of I'm complaining that not many kids that participate. Now my other two classes are quiet, but there is a wide range of kids who participate so I don't understand whats up with my first class!!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2008

Doug, is the problem that they're not participating, or that they're not talking?

A kid who sits quietly and does his work is one thing; a kid who is busy doing my math assignment in your class is another.

If they're all on task, but just shy, I would go with that. Let them put lots of their reactions in writing if necessary,then read what some random kids have written.