Class White Boards??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Loves2TeachinSC, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

for those of you that have a class set of whiteboards...like to give to students - what do you use them for? I saw a post about using them for hangman? Just wondering how you do that individually. And what other "things" do you use them for? THANKS!

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

We use student whiteboards mainly for math practice. We use it as scratch paper, or if we are learning a new skill for whole group practice. On really nice days we take them out to have math on the blacktop.

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

They are great for many things and the students love using them! I use them for spelling games, math facts, daily math problems. It's a great way to check for individual understanding. If I give the students a problem or question, I have them write it on their board and when they think they have the answer, they hold it up. If they are correct, I give them some sort of sign-a nod or thumbs up and they may erase (usually). If a student is incorrect, I usually give them a little individual direction. They are also good to use in place of clip boards when students are writing on the floor. However, I have the hard kind that pencil marks wouldn't show up when bared down on.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2006

word work
    spelling practice
    math games
    math practice
    spelling hangman
    class games - in math or spelling baseball for example, everyone is solving the problem on whiteboards while the person who is up is solving on their own. Extra points for the team wose 'batter' got the answer right if a randomly chosen student in class has correct answer on whiteboard.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

We play spelling bingo on them weekly. The kids use them for computation or to jot down quick notes - anything they want to use them for.

7. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

We've used them as fill in for when a student finishes early, for example if there's only 30 seconds left in a timed test I would let them draw on them. I only use them this way if there is no time for them to work on something else, but it works great.

8. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

9. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Do you let the students keep them in/at their desks? Or do you have them in a 'bin' or something and pass them out?
    AZKinderTchr - Thanks for the link! I cut shower board for mine...MUCH cheaper than buying them - I saw some at Walmart today for $3.88 for 1 whiteboard! Crazy!!! If you don't have them at your new school, you could spend $10 and get some new ones - a class set!!

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

I store mine on some of my shelves (as well as the markers) and just pass them out whenever we use them.

11. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I keep mine in a laundry basket. On top of the boards is a small bin with the markers. I keep a marker inside a men's athletic sock that the students use for an eraser.

12. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

HI

I want to use them for response to questions. So, when I ask questions, they can all write their answer and hold it up. No one is singled out that way, and more or less, no one but me will know if they have the 'wrong' answer.

sort of like choral response- without the noise, LOL.

I'm going to Lowes today to pick up a piece of shower laminate board and they are cutting it for me into 1 foot squares- so, for 32 boards, I'm paying 11 bucks. Not too shabby. I'm going to the dollar store for erase markers. I start teaching summer school Monday.

13. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Good luck with summer school!!! I did the same with Lowes, however they did not cut it for me...he told me that he could only do 2 cuts...THAT'S IT. So, oh well with him! My dad cut it the rest of the way.

14. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

I called Lowes and ordered it, so I am on my way to go pick it up :) They aren't charging me to cut them, either.

Now on to find dry erase markers and some kind of erasers for them :)

I'm psyched!

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2006

I purchased shower board at Home Depot, cut into rectangles and got a class set of 25 for about $12. They will cut it there for you- just hit them at a slow time.

I use my whiteboards for everything. Flip over and use as a clipboard.

16. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Oh I got a shower board...and dad cut it! And it was a very slow time...I am excited about using my whiteboards when I start teaching this coming school year!!!