Class website

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by luvmykids, Jun 16, 2005.

1. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 16, 2005

I was wanting to make a calss website for my 3rd grade class next year but am pretty html illiterate. Does anyone know of a good, easy place to create and publish class sites?

3. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

4. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

own website

:angel: I had an easy time using scholastic's web page maker. It's FREE, of course they advertise their book club stuff, but so what. It explains how to do everything. Pretty limiting in that you can't choose your font or graphics, but what do you expect, it's free and supper user friendly.
    Good luck

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 16, 2005

I also use the webpage @ www.scholastic.com it's listed under teacher tools and is super easy as deko9 said. My parents last year loved it because I would post my important information on it such as spelling tests, math skills, important vocabulary for the week and reading assignments. They would use it frequently and I set up a link where they could e-mail me @ my school address through the scholastic website if they had a question. :)

6. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 16, 2005

Darlene I didn't know you could upgrade schoolnotes. I was going to use that just for homework and their flascard feature anyway. Thanks!! I'll look into that.

7. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 16, 2005

my sons' schools use http://www.teacherweb.com and it's great -- not very expensive either, I don't know if it offers anything for free.

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 17, 2005

Schoolnotes is AWESOME. So easy to use, and so cool. I have two, one for my former middle school students (they still read and participate in the trivia, etc) and one for my college students now. The updated version is cool, but I can do anything I want on the regular, completely FREE version.

http://www.schoolnotes.com/47421/helpline.html (old site for MS students)

http://www.schoolnotes.com/47404/syllabus032.html (current site for college students)

I maintain a picture site, html already done, if anyone would like to use it. With Schoolnotes, all you have to do is paste the html in your update and the pictures appear like MAGIC. (all cool technology is magic to me!)

The picture site has tons of school-oriented pics, many of which are animated. Lots of holiday stuff, too. I add new pics all the time. If anyone wants to check it out, just say so and I will post that url on here again. I keep that picture site just to fancy-up my Schoolnotes pages and my own personal website. And I'm glad to share.

9. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 17, 2005

Jane, this made me laugh! Before I went back to university to get my teaching degree I owned my own web and graphic design company, prior to that I worked as a help desk analyst providing tech support.

So now I think I'm going to say "I'm a former MAGICIAN!" :)

Thanks for the bright spot in my day

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 17, 2005

That's awesome, lowrie! Your class website must be wonderful!

The thing about Schoolnotes that appeals to many people is the fact that you don't have to know very much about html or websites to make a really outstanding one.

I honestly don't understand why more teachers don't use a class website; it's so handy for parents and students both.

And yes, lowrie, you are definitely a MAGICIAN. I bow in your general direction.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 17, 2005

I just learned about teacherweb.com in an educational technology class I took. It's really great. They charge you like $2.50 a month (I think) and you get free worksheet makers, etc. It's really easy to use also.

12. Azelia

Azelia Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

Jane,
    I would love to have that url, please.

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 13, 2005

http://members.diaryland.com/edit/upload.phtml

If the site asks you to log in, the login name is: classacts, and the password is: awesome

If you log in and are taken to the home page, look on the left side at the column of links, and click on "upload images."

If after seeing the page you still have questions as to how to use the pictures, just ask me. It's really easy.

Please remember to log out after you are finished, or else no one else can log in.

14. Sylbyl

Sylbyl Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Easy way to create a Class website!

I began making my site in June after getting directions from another teachers site. I used Microsoft Frontpage that came on my computer with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It was as easy as making a word document. If you have more questions I'd be glad to answer them. :angel:

Here is how my site turned out:
    http://www.access2academics.com

Here are some sites with directions to get you started:
    http://www.classwebsite.org/cwbuildawebsite.htm
    http://www.thevirtualvine.com/website.html

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 11, 2005

Our school uses Front Page Express. It is sooooooo easy!

16. Azelia

Azelia Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Dear Jane,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back with you. I just tried to paste a picture from the site you so graciously shared. WOW!!! It really works. I'm going to be able to make a nice web page for my students.

Thank you so much for your generosity. :)

17. Azelia

Azelia Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Dear Jane,

I was just reading about copyright considerations. I don't want to infringe on any such regulations or in anyway take anything away from what you have done. Is there some way to create my own graphics or get copies of website graphics without violating anyone's rights?

I love your sun and your book that opens and turns the pages. I was interested in using them on my schoolnotes site, but I don't want to do that if I would be taking something away from you.

18. darzie

darzie Companion

Aug 11, 2005

teacherweb.com

I discovered teacherweb.com It is so easy, and I can't wait to show it to my parents at open house. It's 25 dollars a year, which I believe is well worth it. At first I created it for myself, but after talking with my 5th grade teammates, I am in the process of changing it over for all of us. Let me know what you think so far. Be honest.

https://TeacherWeb.com/MI/CountryOaksElementary/FifthGradeTeachingTeam/

19. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 11, 2005

Use anything of mine that you want, friends. I don't care. Some were made by me and some by friends and some are from copyright-free public pages. But as of now, they are all YOURS. I don't mind if you use something that's on my page, my goodness, feel free to use anything you want from that storage bin. In fact, you can upload your own pictures to that site if you want, and it will configure the html for you. I don't mind a bit. Just watch the meter at the top of the page to make sure we don't go over 100% !

Important: if you upload your own pictures to this site, please be sure that the picture's name has only letters - no 'symbols' or backslashes.

To upload your own picture, go to the very bottom of the "upload" page and click on 'browse.' This will open up your own computer's files. Go to wherever you store your own pictures and click on the one you want to upload to this site, and then click on 'upload.' It's that easy.

Help yourselves. I'm glad to offer.

20. Azelia

Azelia Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

Dear Jane,
    Thanks! That is wonderful to hear. You're a sweetie. :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  21. sunfl3815

sunfl3815 Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

I also just created a website using school notes....thanks Jane for the images! I had no idea how to do that until you mentioned it. It really makes a difference on the website. What does the upgraded version of school notes have? I'm tring to figure out if it's worth the upgrade.

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 14, 2005

I really don't think the upgrade is worth it; anything I've ever wanted to do I could do on the free version. Someone more tech-literate than me would probably utilize the extras, though.