Class theme for 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 4myclass, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

May 29, 2010

I did this theme a couple of years ago. I found a great poster that said "On the Road to Great Character." I used that as a springboard.

2. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2010

I have colorful stuff w/ some polka dots mixed in.

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2010

4. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 6, 2010

My idea is...

I am returning to 5th this year! This doesn't fit with your map theme, but I think I am doing either "Shoot for the stars" or Smile-it's contagious (this will be all about positive actions). Stars and Smiles are easy to make and find. Maybe I will check out the teaching tolerance site.:)

5. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

I'm thinking about doing a "Twlight Zone" theme. I will be teaching writing for our 5th graders this year. (Our grade has 4 teachers that each teaches a core subject.) I'm gonna put black construction paper on door and write in white chalk "Welcome to the Writing Zone"- que the music.:lol: The idea came to me in a dream (now that's truly creepy-I'm dreaming about school already.)

Grammar Ninja- ruthless, deadly and articulate

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2010

You will be doing what I did last year and will do again this year. There are 4 teachers on our team and I'll be teaching writing and grammar. I enjoyed it tremendously. The only way it won't happen this year is if we don't get to keep our currently very low class sizes. Sixteen on my roll. I'm nervous.

I like the Writing Zone idea very much. Mine is going to be something about Entering into the World of Imagination. I want to put up some unusual pictures and have some odd-looking creatures on shelves. I want it to be a bit creepy and not too cutesy.

If you want to keep a dialogue going about what to do in a writing classroom, open up a new topic bar in 5th and we can go back and forth. There are some other writing teachers on A to Z that would contribute.

Black and white is great for a "theme". You could vary it every year by throwing in a bright color. I have red added to the black and white. Electric blue would look great, as would lime green.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 24, 2010

I have been having school dreams for a couple weeks now! Not all the time, but often enough I think I might need my head examined. This is supposed to be vacation time!

8. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Yes they are!!! Take that from a South African teacher who is desperately trying to get to stay here permanently :)

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

Great ideas everyone. I did a USA theme a few years ago. Students traveled to all 50 states. The earned miles for good behavior, academic achievement, class contests etc. Each state was x amount of miles. When you arrived at the state you received stickers that had the state flag, flower, bird etc to place in your travel log. Each time you reached a new state, you moved your driver's license to the new state. Then, you got to put your name in a drawing for cool prizes. We would dismiss by state. We would give class perks to certain states. We also focused on a National Park in each state, so we had curriculum tie ins. The Rt 66 would be awesome! You could use the song, rewrite the lyrics to fit things you are emphasizing. If you have access to a cricut machine (like an electronic die cutter, but way more awesome) they have a cartridge that has all the states, birds, flowers, flags, maybe seals, but I'm not sure about that. It would be very easy to give each child a state when they reached it on the big board. There are a million things you could do with it. We did draw a pic using a state outline. Design your own license plate. We did lots with the capitol cities. Lots of fun.
    I'm doing detective/spy/ theme this year. Hope you have lots of fun with your themes.

btw, Trend has lots of stuff for bees and for monkeys.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

I finally settled on my theme yesterday, as my family visited Yosemite. I have to somehow meld a thematic unit of California history with space/astronomy for third, fourth and fifth graders all in the same classroom. It was killing me-one or the other, I could do. But both??

Then, while reading one of the Yosemite brochures we picked up, my mom found the John Muir quote "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." Brilliant!!

So the theme will be 'The Wild Frontier', with a starting point in the past, working through CA history and then entering space. Visually, they will be surrounded by 'green' touches, as we have to conserve the resources of the past for our future. My students will be 'pioneers', whether traveling out west or traveling to space. I'm still working out details, but at least I have some sort of glue to hold my year together! ;)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

Neat!! The best ideas seem to come when we aren't really looking for them, huh? :)

12. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I am thinking along the lines of....Characters Welcomed...I was going to use some of the characters that seem popular in some shows today. I must be careful about which shows however. Kid shows that is.