Class Sizes

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherApr, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 17, 2010

This student in our district would go where there is room. Unfortunate, but the new law that just got implemented states that the home school is not required to take new students after June 30. They will go in the district but not necessary at closest school. As a charter school we have to wait until they have a placement before we release students from our school.(I think other public schools do too, not sure.)

Any how- last year student teaching 6th grade 36 students.
    This year charter school- classes cap at 25, They have stacked our classes to 27 anticipating the usually loss of students, who get into other charters or decide the drive is to far.

2. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Last year: 14: 1st Graders

This Year: 10: 1st Graders

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Yes, I can sympathize with you, lol. This past year I had 31 second grade students - 20 boys and 11 girls. Those boys can keep you on your toes.

Next year I will have 33, with a better boy/girl ratio of 17:16.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

A few years ago I had an SAT prep class 8th period, once a week. SAT classes don't get any sort of a grade-- no tests or quizzes -- it's pure classroom management in terms of getting them to pay attention.

There were 40 high school juniors in that class: 32 boys, including one with Asperger's Syndrome, and just 8 girls. And one of the girls and several of the boys, were "frequent flyers" in the dean's office.

Let's just say I didn't love that particular day of the schedule.

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

2nd grade - 19 (This was the first year that all 19 children stayed the whole time and because of that I never got any new kids)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.