Class Size

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cforest, Sep 13, 2009.

1. cforest

cforest New Member

Sep 13, 2009

Does anyone have an opinion on the best class size? I mean, do too many students in a class hamper learning? Do too few students hinder it as well?

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 14, 2009

Smaller is better, no question. I can't give a number...b/c it kind of depends on the kids too. But smaller is WAY better! I can't help 30+ kids in 40 minutes.

4. cjven

cjven Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

I had a class of 11 last year and that was way too small. I could give them individual attention but socially it was a bad situation. I think 16-18 is a perfect number. They are easy to put into groups and there is enough variety that no one student is singled out (usually).

5. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

Im very lucky in that that my class sizes consist of 17-21 students. This is very effective i am finding

6. thegreatmouton

thegreatmouton Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

My class sizes this year are about perfect. The smallest is 15, the largest is 20. If I had to choose the absolute perfect number, I'd go with 18, since it's good for pairs or small groups.

It really depends on the kids though - my class with 15 kids isn't nearly as effecient as the same class with 20 kids.

7. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

I think twenty to twenty-five kids make up the perfect classroom size.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

I can pretty well tell that 30 SPED students in a 15x15 room is a little too large.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 13, 2009

I don't teach middle any more. But I used to have three middle school students. It was wonderful. I was able to adapt lessons. They were below grade level and I was able to get them almost at grade level after one year.

If I taught in a "normal" middle school I would like my class to be between 15 to 17 students.

10. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 13, 2009

Most of my classes are sitting at 28-29 students - too many to be as effective as I would like. I am lucky enough to have a class of 15, though! And since they are all a bit lower in their math abilities, it is really nice! I think it is great.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 13, 2009

A little too large :eek::eek:?? Oh my!

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2009

I think it depends on the grade, subject, and student population. A class of 30 Latin students in suburban Fargo is much different from a class of 30 Latin students in urban Las Vegas.

I have had classes as large as 45ish and as small as 6. I think smaller is always better.

My class of 6 this year is wonderful. I'm able to give highly individualized instruction to each student. I can and do tailor my lessons to meet their needs. I've had these students for 4 years and I know them very well. I know exactly what they know, exactly where they struggle, exactly what they are interested in, etc. I know how they differ from their classmates in terms of ability, interest, and effort. It's just better all around.

My classes of 40-45 this year are more challenging. Although I have had those students for two years and know them pretty well, I can't give them the same level of individualized instruction that I can give to students in my class of 6. It's also more difficult to manage classes that large. One or two talkers can easily erupt into 15 or 20 talkers if I don't nip that behavior in the bud right away.

I think that the ideal class size in my grade and subject area (9-12 foreign language) is 15-20ish.

I also think that class size becomes much less important as you diversify the student population in the class. The more special needs students, English Language Learners, grade levels, etc. that are represented in the class, the more challenging it becomes, almost regardless of the actual number of students in the class. I can see how a class of 8 students with all kinds of different special needs could be more of a challenge than a class of 25 students, none of whom require special services.