Class Size

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by AMK, Sep 8, 2007.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

Yesterday I was told I will be getting a new student on Monday. This will make it 24 in my class. I told the principal I really have no more room after that. My tables will be filled!
    24...such a big number, it will be an interesting year.:unsure:

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 8, 2007

I hear ya. I only have 18 (biggest group, tiny room) We are tripping over each other and kids are getting hurt. The 3rd teacher we hired to bring down the numbers has 13 in a huge room. They won't move any of mine out but say they won't give me anymore.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 8, 2007

I can't imagine in my class was so large that I didn't have a space for them at a table. Fro what you were saying about the other teacher, she should be the one to get the new kids, not you. I'd get in contact with the registrar at your school and tell her your concerns. There's too much of a discrepancy there.

Well, I have 17, but I can imagine I will grow pretty quickly. Our community is very mobile, and it seems that my classroom has always been the "Revolving Door" where kids come in and go out pretty quickly. On the first day I had 17, then one was transferred to a local school for transportation and day care issues and the other moved back to NY for a family emergency. So, that brought me down to 15. Just last week I got a new student on Wednesday from Fort Lauderdale FL, and then on Thursday I got another new student from a private school in NJ. So, I'm back at 17 again. My room is pretty average, some have said it's large. I haven't been in many other schools, so I'm not sure what you would consider large.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 8, 2007

I have a small classroom and 17 students. I was suppose to have 19 but two moved before school started. Right now I have enough room for 17. If I get more I'll have to rearrange my room.

6. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

Ugh, I have 28. The kinder teacher next door has 24. If one more registers, we can open another kindergarten class so I'll only have 20. Keep your fingers crossed. We've been in school 2 weeks, and I can't get through half of my lessons because I have so many behavior issues.

7. idahomom

idahomom Companion

Sep 9, 2007

:agreed:

I have 21 students now - it looks like they will be adding 3 new ones this week, so 24. We only have 1/2 day kindy too, I feel like I am constantly redirecting and rarely teaching. :unsure:

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2007

I have 26. The other two K classes in my building each have 27. We've been told no chance of a new teacher. And we are very likely to have more transfer in. We are "allowed" to have 29. :(

Yep. It's crowd control over teaching at this point. :eek:hmy:

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2007

I have 25 so far, but no problems. I can have 30 I hear. I hope I stay where I'm at~! :)

10. ebmatthe

ebmatthe Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

i have 30. only supposed to have 27. and there is a chance that i will get more throughout the year.

needless to say, there is hardly enough room to move in my room.

11. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

I have 21 students this year. The biggest class I ever had was 24. The smallest was 18. I am amazed after reading these boards how some of your schools add teachers and classrooms after the school year starts. That doesn't happen in my area. They will add a section before the year starts if the numbers are high. Once school starts, however, it doesn't matter how many more kids you get. You just have to deal with them. I also have a small room too. The kindergarten rooms are the same size as the other grade levels, and have the same amount of storage (which isn't much), but of course we have so much more stuff than the upper grades. I sometimes get so jealous when I see pictures from other teacher's Kindergarten rooms. I can't imagine having so much space!! I do, however, love my job and I work for a great district!

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2007

Well, I'm glad my district adds classes after the year starts. That's how I got my job 8 years ago! Wish it would happen this year, but it doesn't look like it will.

It really irks me. I think reducing class sizes (at all grade levels) would have a greater impact on student achievement than any of the other things districts always manage to spend money on.

13. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

I love that GA is so strict about how many students can be in a classroom. We cannot have more than 20 in Kindergarten. We were really low last year (16-17 students per teacher) so we had to give up a teacher so she could teach 2nd since we were high in that area. We still never went over 20 in each class though. Plus we have para-pros! It makes life so much easier!

I can remember in Ohio hearing about mid to high twenties in each classroom. It does become crowd control/babysitting instead of teaching and that's not fair to ANYBODY!

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 9, 2007

It is amazing that school districts let our classes get so big! You are right you spend more time disciplining than teaching. I have 4 students who turned 5 in Aug. Another 4 students are turning 5 this month and then 5 students turning 6 by December. I def have a wide range of abilities in my class. I have a few that are going to be behavior problems!

15. twoinazoo

twoinazoo Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I have 28 but will be getting more this week. And we share one aide between 3 classes, so most often I am solo!

16. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 9, 2007

When my grandma taught kindergarten they would have 30 plus students in the room, (this was over 20 years ago, half day, with 2 teachers in the room). I can't imagine. My class had 19, but was down to 17.

17. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Sep 10, 2007

Ugh - I'm up to 25 and I'm considered the "small" class. I do have an aide, but I still feel that this number is just too big - we are stumbling over each other and the room feels so crowded! I think 18 - 20 is a good number. After that, you are just managing, not teaching.

I wish it didn't come down to money, but it does. Last year our district made it so that 1 - 3 grade classes have a ratio of 18 to 1, but because K has a para, we don't get that kind of ratio. Funding issues wwere the main reason K was not considered in this ruling. I'd love to have one of the decision makers try to manage my class of 25 for a day and then see what they think! :)

18. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

Last term I had 30 and a full-time teacher aide for the American equivalent of preschool. I have now gone down to 28 but it's rare that they are all there (today I had 25).

To help alleviate behaviour problems, I specifically teach social skills: how to sit, how to gain attention, nice voices, nice talk, being a friend, etc. This is from a book called "New Strategies and Perspectives for Teaching Prosocial Skills" (Paperback)
    by Ellen McGinnis (Author), Arnold P. Goldstein (Author) $21.95 on Amazon. The steps are simple and basic pictures are used.

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2007

I can't imagine it either, but then again, they didn't have to teach NEARLY the same curriculum that we do.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 10, 2007

I have 14 ...loving it!!!!

21. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

Thirty in kinder is so hard...sorry to hear that's what you're teaching to. I hope it gets better for you. Another teacher told me today that when she first started teaching, she had between 34-37 each year.

My situation has changed, thank goodness. The new kinder class opens tomorrow, and I will be back down to 20. The new class only has 15. Once she goes up to 20, I'm back to a larger class. I don't expect that to happen before the new year.

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 10, 2007

Our contract states only 25 max in K to 4 classrooms with 1 person. We have many classes of 28-30 but I believe they have ed. assts. I couldn't imagine 30 kind. students and 1 teacher- :eek:!

23. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 11, 2007

Oh I know! :) I would tell grandma about what we were doing in class, and she just says how kindergarten has changed! :eek:hmy:

24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2007

Ugh. I'm up to 27 now. :(

25. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 11, 2007

27 yeekes! Make sure you stock up on aspirin. My littles one were very chatty today. Some of them might drive me crazy!

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2007

Update, I got three more this week. Now I'm at 28. (and only 10 girls!) No assistant or aide. :p

27. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2007

Seriously, this should not be allowed.

Supposedly another K teacher has been requested for our school (we are at 28, 27, and 27) but we've also been told not to "get our hopes up."

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 15, 2007

I am in a large district and I am pretty sure not all of them have as many students as we do. I think there should be cap and then they start busing them.
    Yes I have 3 people in my room (myself, Student teacher and aid) but we cant get to all the students b/c I have handful that are really low and behavior problems.

29. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Yikes! I will consider myself blessed with just 21. Last year I had 23 and that was tough, I thought. Good luck to all!

30. Xristina

Xristina New Member

Sep 16, 2007

Hi!
    I am Christina and I work as kindergarten teacher in public kindergarten in Greece.
    I have 27 in my class. One of them doesn't speak greek. No aide or student teacher is provided!!

31. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2007

Hi Christina, nice to meet you! We are almost in the same boat as I have 28 students. How are your children behaving? Mine are doing pretty well, it's not as bad as people believe. Good luck!

32. Xristina

Xristina New Member

Sep 17, 2007

Well, katrinkakat, in general I would say that it seems like we are not going to have big issues with behavior, athough the school year started on 11 September so I cannot be definite about that.
    So, it is going to be only you or there is provided some kind of assistance?

PS: My classroom is very small for 27 children.
    PS2: I hope people can understand me, cause english is not my maternal language. Sorry for any mistakes.

33. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 17, 2007

Smaller isn't necessarily better!! I have 14 kids and I feel like they all have ADD!! I love the small class size but if I had to choose, I would pick 20-25 well behaved kids over my 14 hyper ones!!!

34. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2007

True, true. Two years ago I had only 17 and it was a very difficult group. I kept saying how thankful I was that there were only 17 of them!

And I'd take 20 or 21 students ANY DAY. When you get over 25 or so, though, it just becomes management over instruction. Management is important with any group, of course, but with larger numbers everything takes so much more time and you can't individualize as much.

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 17, 2007

I have never been in a kindergarten class with more than 20 students. I hope I never have to be in one. Sigh.

My class grew today to 18 students. I had to rearrange. Just don't have enough room. I have one child in a wheel chair so that child needs to be able to get around the room as easily as the other students.

36. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2007

Xristina~ The morning K teacher helps me from 1:00 - 2:20, but other than that, I am on my own. They have been great, tho.
    We are in a pretty structured day, they are either on the carpet learning or at their tables, or at centers by their color group (6 in each color group) Later on when we introduce social studies maybe my class can send a letter and a few things to your class from the US and you could return with a letter and something from Greece. That would be fun! ~ Katie
    PS how do you pronounce your name? like Christina?

37. Xristina

Xristina New Member

Sep 18, 2007

Hi, katrinkakat!
    What a great idea sending letters and things. I think my children would love it. By the way I would also love if I had a person helping me even for two hours.

I envy you for your structured day. Do you personally choose the way your activities rotate or it is a matter organized by the state or by your headmaster? How many years do you teach in K?

My name is pronounced like Christina but in greek instead of the sound "k" (kristina) is pronounced with the sound "h" (like "home" but in a slightly harsher way). So it is like Hristina

38. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2007

I got a new child yesterday, so now have 29! 19 are boys. I have room for one more. (5 tables of 6 students-- and 30 squares on our carpet) Today is picture day! :cool:

39. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2007

Update, I lost one to the AM class, but got two new children.
    So now I am at my limit of 30. We just started our ELD time,
    which is a 30 minute block of time where our children are grouped according to english language proficiency, and they go with a certain teacher who will teach a specific lesson. Very confusing for Kindergartners, especially new ones, not to mention new teachers ;0

40. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2007

I am very happy to say that we got a new teacher and she starts with her class on Monday!!! So now I have 20!!! I am SOOOO relieved!

41. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 29, 2007

Back in the dark ages when I began teaching Kindergarten, we always had 25-30 students. Now our TPR is set at 18 and I can't imagine having all of those children again. But as 'Gramma' said, I had no set curriculum and the behavior back then was very different from today. All kids had two parents, the same name, and most Moms didn't work, so 30 back then was manageable. I commend (and say alittle prayer) for all of you with those big classes.