Class Size

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Teachingtots, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

Hi Fellow Teachers,

This is my second year teaching kindergarten and I have had a rough start to the year! I teach in a Charter school in Detroit and only a couple of my kids have had preschool experience. I have 27 kids in my class and no aide. It's been quite overwhelming so far.

Are other people experiencing these large class sizes in their schools? I feel like I can barely see the end of my line when we're walking down the hall. 27 kinders is a lot!!!! Any tips for keeping order and noise level down? On top of it all, they are a very active, noisy bunch.

:help: Thanks!

3. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

I have 26 right now in am and pm, but can get bigger if someone moves in.

I have always liked kids to walk in a single line, but with the bigger class I have changed to using a boy and girl line. It makes it shorter and more manageable.

I am also using some strategies from Whole Brain Teaching which helps keep this large group engaged. Check out their website for ideas!

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 19, 2011

BTW- I also don't have an aide.

The all day classes across the hall do have aides and smaller class sizes since their parents pay for all day. Go figure!

5. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Sep 20, 2011

I think I need to use your idea and have a boy and girl line too. I've heard great things about whole brain teaching. I will check it out. Thanks for the ideas!

6. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Oct 7, 2011

I teach Kindergarten at a charter school in Houston and I have 27 students also with no aide! I know what you mean about the walking in line thing....our line is always so long! The classroom is always very noisy. They don't talk that loud. It's just that there's nearly 30 kids in a smaller than normal classroom and everything always seems extra loud. It doesn't help that the walls are paper thin and a third grade classroom is next to mine. We're always doing centers or something noisy when they are trying to take a test or do a writing assignment. :(

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

I have 25 with an aid but I can and have taught without one. I know during center time it just won't be quiet. The line thing is tough esp when they are waiting to go to lunch! If they are very noisy I will turn them around and had back to the classroom and we try it again. I am strict I have to be and I think I have good classroom management.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

I'm also at a charter school in Detroit. We all have 27 in our kinder classes. We're lucky as we have a mostly full time aide. I have about an hour without my TA, other then naptime.

We walk in a boys line & a girls line. A co-worker has them hold hands. Make sure your routines and procedures are in place. We practice them as we need to. I will not let them be out of control. We talk about using quiet voices. . .model for them.

If they are doing centers and get too loud, I have them clean up & go hide their eyes. If they are talking when they are suppose to be listening, I have them hide their eyes. If we are on the carpet I'll send them back to their seats & hide their eyes. I've had to do this a couple of times. It really brings the volume down in the classroom.

I'm not really doing anything different then when I've had smaller class sizes. Always keep them going.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

9. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 11, 2011

I have a larger than usual class for me this year and am really enjoying it (NOT as large as yours, though!). The key for me is classroom management-- and make it fun by using lots of chants and signals for transitions that don't require your voice being heard over everyone else's! Even then, it may be "The First Six Weeks of School" for about six months!!