Class Size/ Need Advice

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by heart teacher, Oct 18, 2005.

1. heart teacher

heart teacher Rookie

Oct 18, 2005

So I teach 16 4 year olds in a private school. I have a structured curriculum to follow and I simply just can't do it. I'm burnt out already and I've officially been in school since Sept. 6.
    There was talk at Parent's Night about the size of my class and I had to smile and say I can handle it, I'm comfortable with the size. Well 1 month and about 2 weeks into the year and all I can think about is: I don't do any differentiated instruction so I have many very bored children who then act out and the winter issue. Dressing 16 kids in 5 minutes to go outside for 30 minutes, then undressing and to lunch?
    My problem: I have mentioned to the owners of the school (my admin. in other words, and the principal) the idea of an aide. Their response well we really didn't want to have to hire someone. My opinion, they're cheap and don't realize I would quit if I found another job where I didn't deal with this.
    How do I tell them I NEED AN AIDE. All I really need is someone from 9 till 12:30. I can handle the rest.
    Any suggestions?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 18, 2005

You definitely need an aide for that large of a group. Keep pushing the issue with your administration. Remind them that you need to have the assistant to benefit the education of the children. Also, it is a huge safety issue to have too many children with just one teacher!

Are you a state license day care agency? Is this really within your state guidelines for teacher/child ratios? If they are not meeting the mandated ratios, the administration might not even have a choice as to whether you get an all-day aide or not!

4. heart teacher

heart teacher Rookie

Oct 18, 2005

As far as state license day-care, I don't know! We're a private school serving Nursery school (aged 3) up to 8th grade. I'm in IL, I don't know too much about the laws, but I don't believe they hold-up in a private school situation!

5. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 19, 2005

I've taught in private school settings and, in new jersey, the state's ratios are much more stringent for private than for public facilities. For example, in kindergarten, a privately run school can have 15 -18 children depending on their age (15 for 5's, 18 for 6's.) A kindergarten in the public school system can have 24 children before they need an aide (this may be slightly different district to district.)

I do not know the ratios in Illinois but I don't think anyone in the country has a ratio of 1:16 for 4's.

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 19, 2005

I found one site (with data from 2000) that said the ratio for fours was 10:1. It said 5 yrs was 20:1 because they were considered school age. But another site I found (also with possibly old information) said that for a mixed-age group the ratio went with the youngest child in the group. In new jersey, you do the math and figure out your mixed ratio. Like, if you have 8 three's at a ratio of 10:1 and 3 four's at a ratio of 12:1 you're ok with 11 kids. This website said Illinois doesn't do that...that if you have four's mixed with fives that you use the four's ratio.

7. heart teacher

heart teacher Rookie

Oct 20, 2005

Where do/are you finding this information? I looked at the state of IL website and can't find anything. It's totally a safety issue, a stressing me out issue, and I simply can't meet the needs of my students.

8. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Oct 20, 2005

http://nccic.acf.hhs.gov/statedata/statepro/illinois.html is where I first saw the ratios...at the bottom of the page.

http://www.daycare.com/illinois/ is where I saw that a mixed age group goes with the ratio of the youngest child. I know these links were for childcare settings but in my state, a private school and a childcare setting are both considered private care and the ratio is the same. I don't know about Illinois but I can't think why it would be different.

9. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Oct 21, 2005

Iknow nothing about your laws.
    While you debate your administration and look for a new job, you have to deal with the situation - as is. Try to find ways to make things easier on yourself. Give the kids small jobs so they're busy AND helpful.

I don't have a lot of little kiddie ideas, but here's my contribution...

use the 'lay your jacket on he floor, then lay down inside it and have your partner zip you up' trick.

Have two students be responsbile for laying out all the coats.

Have students collect and hand out paoers.
    Partner them for ditto/worksheet work

Incorporate fun transitions so you're not doing any one thing for too long.

Create 'All Done' work for the kids who tend to finish quickly. (Separate crayons so there's one of every color in each box, Organize the boots/coats/scarves/workbooks, Collect homework, erase the board, write the date on the board, bring something to the office, put 12 cotton balls into each baggie, write a post card to Grandma, lace up your new shoes, cut out circles for a project, check a list of words agains a master list to see which are spelled correctly, do anagrams, see how many times youcan find the word 'book' on this paper, finish his drawing of my cat... etc etc.)

Use lots of prizes and positive reinforcement to get the best behavior you can.